Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Pearl Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Pearl
Begali Pearl Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Iambic paddle with magnetic adjustments and gold/palladium/nickel plating
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Pearl.

A71CM Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Welcome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Used a number of different brands of Morse keys ... and I've heard about keys Bigala .. In the time I went up at one of my friends in Qatar and has the same key and has been tested and compared to other keys ... nothing compares ... not in the key Bigala already submitted something wonderful wonderful ...
I decided that I have one of the keys .. and I have corresponded Moqaan by Ms. Bruna in Italy and has collaborated with me in all honesty, respect and punctuality.
We look for keys to be good and cheap at the same time ... we buy a cheap after-use feel it is bad to use and then we buy another key is cheap and we see also a bad use of our money goes, and so to no avail.
Key Bigala price may be suitable for some use, but after saying the money was not the loss compared to their performance and quality enjoyed by ..
The point I would like to mention the keys Bigala very, very easy calibration paddle compared to the other keys that take you to the time of surgery in a hospital ..
73 ed a71cm

NP3K Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Best Key Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have acquired the best Key ever, in my opinion. I started looking at the different Keys from Begali and ended deciding between the Signature and the Pearl. After a few emails with Bruna, I decided to go with the Pearl. They offered different options on the Pearl, all of them great. The way I wanted mine was not an option. I asked if it could be built for me as a special order, Bruna talked to her dad and he agreed. That is what I call customer service…GREAT
I received the key within 10days (from Italy to USA). First of all, the key was pack in a way that there was no way it could be damaged during shipping, it was incredibly pack. I then opened the box and there it was, just as I had asked…this key I a beauty, very elegant.
Never in my life have I used a key built with so much precision, it has a perfect feel, this a jewel, an amazing product.
The Begali products are definitely a work of art and precision.
Ok, so much for the key, let’s talk customer service. I asked so many questions and asked for more info and pictures, I thought Bruna was going to get mad at me.  She answered every question I had, sent me pictures and specs of the different keys I was looking at. Her emails were prompt, full of information and very professional. I felt very comfortable putting in my order in, Bruna kept me updated on the whole process.
To be honest, this has been the best customer service I have received in a long time.
Thank you Bruna and Piero.

KA2QWC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 17:47 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: months
I will agree that they are a bit pricey but then again this is truly a situation of getting what you pay for.

I am the proud owner of S/N °86 and I have not yet found the words realistically articulate the experience of using a Begali.

Will it improve your fist? No, but it may make you want to work more CW and practice does make perfect (hi hi).

Will your ham friends envy you? Without a doubt.

Will the XYL and kids understand your obsession with a $380.00 chuck of polished steel? Doubtful.

Will you enjoy endless hours of pounding tireless CW? Absolutely.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2010 14:04 Send this review to a friend
10?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up my Pearl at Dayton 2010. What can I say. She’s perfect. I got the nickel plated and red finger pieces version. VERY easy to look at. The short ratio on the levers gives her a perfect feel. My wife is starting to get jealous. I tell people I picked up a nickel plated Pearl, they ask me what caliber? hihi Everything else I can say about this key, and all of Begali keys has been said over and over. It is a far better key than I am an op. Thank you Piero and Bruna!

W2BFE Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 05:02 Send this review to a friend
A True Gem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first and only paddle-keyer has been a Ten-Tec KR-20 purchased in the 1960s. Other than that, I have always enjoyed using various straight keys from my small collection. For years I had looked for a Swedish Pump Key, but could not find one. So I recently purchased a Begali BLADE, a key based on the pump key design.. One of the ads I saw for it stated that it would no doubt replace whatever my favorite key of the moment was. A challenging statement. Like many others of my generation, I started out with a J-38. Then other keys came along. A number of years ago I acquired a Wehrmacht issue Junker. That became my favorite key until the BLADE arrived. But now the PEARL has changed everything. Others have commented on its graceful and beautiful design and craftsmanship. This is true. Others have also written about the ease of use and the pleasure of using what is more than a CW tool and is without doubt a fine CW instrument. Having been a CW fan for more than 60 years, I can say that operating CW now has taken on a new dimension. It should be added that the PEARL is being used with the Begali CW Machine. It is hard to imagine a better combination for CW fans. I still love my BLADE, because straight-key operation is still a pleasure, and the Junker is also hooked up. But the features of the CW Machine, along with the pleasure of using the PEARL, have convinced me that it is possible to learn something new and that there are rewards for doing so. I had not always thought so. But now I do. It is a new experience and I recommend it.

VE2JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Pearl  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Amazing product. The key was packed in such a way that it was praticly impossible to damage it. (from Italy to Quebec city, Canada) and within 10 days. The key has a very nice presentation and is a piece of art (palladium base). Now using it is something else. The fingers are flying over the paddles. Useless to say how it is confortable to work with the key. Have many cw keys ( 8 now) and I will for sure get an other model for 2010. When I received the key, I was like a kid at 67 years old. To complete the story, bought at the same time the CW Machine. That was the cherry on the cake.
Extra service from Begali. Many thanks to Bruna and Pietro.

Excuse my English, it is not my native language.

73. Michel, VE2JA

IK6BAK Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2009 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding precision instrument !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A true jewel, precise, reactive, stable ...
It is a great help to perform a high standard in cw.
The best key ever used in many years of radio.

'73 de ik6bak - Eliseo
HSC VHSC SHSC
www.morsekey.net

W7TEA Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am setting up a station in second QTH recently acquired. We plan on spending significant time there--at least that's my rationale for ordering a second Begali paddle. I have enjoyed a Signature for three years and have begun to believe the Pearl is even better. The action is crisp and sure. The paddle and base are just beautiful. I chose the palladium base with gold bearing block. I just wish my fist were a match to this magnificent unit.

K0RO Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2009 22:34 Send this review to a friend
A Joy to Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was recently given a Begali Pearl and feel as though I have stepped into a whole new world. The simple summary is this: I rarely use my keyer messages for calling CQ anymore, but prefer to send them, effortlessly and without strain, with the Pearl.

If you've not used a paddle of this caliber one of the first things that will strike you are the rigid finger pieces and levers. I realized only after using the Pearl how much I had come to compensate for the flex in my existing paddle, which also uses magnetic return. The spacing between the finger pieces is also a little bit wider than on many US-made paddles, and I found I much preferred that.

It has taken a little bit to get used to the adjustments. One sets the gap and then the magnetic resistance; that is all. I do notice that I may have to readjust the gap as a function of contraction and expansion of the metal due to changes in temperature in the shack. Running a fairly tight gap of .030, temperature differences can make a difference; spacing that is spot-on at 68 degrees may have become too close by 75 degrees. However, it is simple and quick to adjust so it is no matter, and I do not consider this a drawback.

I used the Pearl during Field Day and was never fatigued. I think the key differences I found in very practical terms are that it allows for very accurate high speed keying, and it is so set up that I have experienced no fatigue or arm discomfort, as I have with other paddles.

Finally, the paddle is beautiful. I have told my friends that this is so typically Italian: it doesn't have to look this good in order to function as it does; however Pietro seems determined that if a product is to leave his shop it will make a positive aesthetic impression as well as work flawlessly. Now the only problem is I want to start a Begali collection!

Bruna is wonderful to work with, was very patient and ensured that what I received is what I expected, and that it came in a timely fashion and extremely well packed.

As I said, the bad news is I'll want more.

Art, KØRO

W2PA Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2009 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Solid, beautiful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the pleasure of using a new Begali Pearl (and also a Contour) paddle in a CW contest this past weekend, and compared it to the others I’ve used over the years. As with other Begali keys it has a solid feel with no “play” or looseness whatsoever. The newly designed mechanism is precise and the adjustments stay where you set them. This enables very close spacing. The base is heavy and the paddle stays in position, even with the kind of keying I do, using perhaps more hand movement than others. Once I got it adjusted the way I like (which didn’t take long), I was able to send comfortably at high speed without having to get used to it. The combined feel of the magnetic action and the stopping characteristics of the contacts give just the right amount of tactile and aural feedback. The slight clicking sound is just loud enough (a bit louder than my Graciella), even at very close spacing, and sounds rather like a tap dancer.

As with Begali’s other paddles, the workmanship is of the highest quality and the design is visually clean, with most of the works hidden from view. I believe as much thought goes into the aesthetic design as the mechanical.

Judging the operation of a keyer paddle (its feel) is, to a large degree, a matter of personal preference. For me, this one feels as good or better than any paddle I’ve ever used, including others from Begali. I prefer the finger pieces to be a certain distance from the base, since I tend to manipulate the paddle with the pads of my finger and thumb, rather than the tips as some others do. If the ends are too close to the edges of the base, I tend to occasionally hit the base with my fingers. The Pearl gives a bit more space than either the Contour or my Graciella, and so I found that it feels better to me. But if you prefer to use your finger tips, you’ll notice no difference at all.

73, Chris, W2PA