Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-100Plus Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-100Plus
LDG Z-100Plus Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $159.99
Description: LDG’s popular Z-100 economy tuner is now the Z-100Plus. Still small and simple to use, the Z-100Plus sports 2000 memories that store both frequency and tuning parameters. It will run on any voltage source from 7 to 18 volts; six AA batteries will run it for a year of normal use. Current draw while tuning is less than 100ma.

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-100Plus.

KF7WKR Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2016 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this with my Kenwood TS-430s. Once a frequency is tuned, I don't have to re-tune when I return to that frequency, even from another band. In my opinion, it works better than my LDG AT-100ProII even though it doesn't have all the ProII features. Specifically, it has better memory retention. I use a G5RV antenna.
IZ2EIB Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 02:49 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate magic box!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a second hand Z-100 Plus autotuner for my IC-706MK2G and I'm very happy.
It suit any radio but expecially the Icom's model I have, it matching perfectly the 706MK2G.
I really enjoy it.
It's cheap, fast, works well as can be expected and even better.
Small and sturdy with a simple cable that can be easily homebuilt it's possible to connect it to the radio in order to gain a full automatic control over it by the transceiver.
Of course it can be even operated by itself using the "Tune" button on its front panel.
In that way it doesn't need any interface cable.
Really easy to use and well documented as well supported by factory.
I needed clarification so I've contacted the LDG customer support.
Short time after, practically in real time you can say, I received their reply.
Dwayne Kincaid WD8OYG himself personally wrote it!
He has kindly explained me how to better operate my Z-100 Plus autotuner in a specific context where I have the need to use it.
All quickly solved!
In my opinion I rate five stars the Z-100 Plus autotuner and equally stars for the LDG customer support.
WR3V Rating: 0/5 Jan 20, 2016 18:21 Send this review to a friend
No Joy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an 88' end fed, thru a 9:1 unun, and it would not tune on 160 or 80. It would tune 40 meters. My little MFJ-945E does fine on all three bands. Disappointed, so back to HRO it went. I can't imagine this antenna shows that much resistance that if wouldn't match. Maybe I had a bad one?
N5XJT Rating: 1/5 Jan 20, 2016 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Not The Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Any 30+ year old tuner will easily outperform this unit. It seldom selects the lowest SWR and usually picks a 2.0 or higher number after several attempts. Stopped working after 7 days, customer service and repair dept. are terrible examples of how to do business. Just got the repaired unit back and same problems. I have two of these, one works ok but slow and picks a high swr, one is junk. You may or may not get a good one. I suggest a Kenwood AT-130, AT-230 or Yaesu FC-700. All three tune a lower SWR and are just about as quick.
N1NDN Rating: 1/5 Jan 19, 2016 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Unit is ok-Service is Awful!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a Z-100 plus in the Summer of 2015 and it stopped working soon after, it just wouldn't tune correctly, always got high SWR. After testing the antenna with two other tuners I determined it was the Z-100 plus that was defective. I returned it for repair and after 7 weeks I still haven't received it back. I emailed the company (you can't call them, even though there is a number listed) and received a curt response that they were backed up and I just needed to wait my turn for repair. I'm sure the unit will get back to me and be repaired, but the slow turnaround and "attitude" in the email response will surely send me to other brands next time.
VU2OB Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2016 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Magic Box  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using two LDG Z-100plus at my shack for the last four years. Both of them are working wonderfully. I recommend this to all my ham friends. ( Read operating manual first )Sreekumar, New Delhi. vu2ob
N6AIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
As soon as I got my LDG Z-100Plus tuner, I could tell it was a quality product.

I prefer to use a manual tuner with meters for my base station but this auto tuner works great in my mobile setup. I also have the little Elecraft autotuner which is smaller but I find the LDG is easier to use.

The one complaint I have is that I had to solder a couple wires on the circuit board so that I could use an internal battery. Using an internal battery is the only way to go, so why didn't they include an internal 9 volt battery connector? Do they think that hams like to solder every chance they get? Well, some do, but I found it to be a pain.

As for the memories, I'm not sure that works. Maybe it does and maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know. But I find that it often has to retune frequencies that it should remember. That's not a big deal because when it retunes it does so fast.

The manual, which you can find online, is very well written.

I've used this tuner with a TS-520S, TS-120S, SGC-2020 and FT817. With all of those radios, it's worked flawlessly. With the TS-520S I have to crank back the power from 145 watts because the tuner isn't supposed to handle more than 125 watts.

If you want an auto tuner, LDG is the way to go. They've been in business a long time and they have a lot of happy customers and I count myself as one of them.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2015 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for themoney  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm an old timer from the old school and never really paid attention to automatic tuners since I always used the manual type, well the little LDG changed my mind, good things can come in small packages. The Z-100Plus actually remembers each band so once tuned, you can go back to the same band later with no need to tune again.
It can be used with just about any radio, plug in an external wall wart or make a little battery pack for it and at the push of a button, you are tuned. My antennas are a zero five 43 and tune just fine.rig tt jupiter.
My old trusty manual tuner has become a dust collector. Highly recommended.
WW6BBB Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 22:58 Send this review to a friend
The Little Box WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the only tuner I've ever used. I'm running an IC-718 barefoot, both at home and mobile.

My mobile antenna is a Hustler foldover mast with a 60 meter resonator. After tuning the antenna with an SWR meter for my favorite 5MHz frequency, the Z-100+ will match the radio to the antenna at 75, 60, 40, 20, 17, 15 and 10 meters at 1.3:1 or less. 12 meters at 1.5:1.

The rotatable dipole at the house has the same resonators and matches at 1.2:1 over the same bands, 12 meters at 1.3:1.

I use the LDG patch cable for the 718 - how could it be simpler? It's small, efficient and reasonably priced. The relays clatter and buzz while tuning a new frequency but they don't wake the dead.

If LDG made Z-1000+ (1kw) version, I would buy it for a future linear amp.
K4DZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Can't Be Beat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built a KX-3 and a HardRock-50 linear amp for it. I wanted a tuner for the the system and finally decided on the LDG Z-100Plus. It has proved to be just what I was looking for. A good choice for me and what I use it for. As has been said before " buzz buzz, lights flash and match made".