Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-100Plus Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-100Plus
LDG Z-100Plus Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $159.99
Description: LDGs popular Z-100 economy tuner is now the Z-100Plus. Still small and simple to use, the Z-100Plus sports 2000 memories that store both frequency and tuning parameters. It will run on any voltage source from 7 to 18 volts; six AA batteries will run it for a year of normal use. Current draw while tuning is less than 100ma.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/1/49/1

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-100Plus.

K4DZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Can't Be Beat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built a KX-3 and a HardRock-50 linear amp for it. I wanted a tuner for the the system and finally decided on the LDG Z-100Plus. It has proved to be just what I was looking for. A good choice for me and what I use it for. As has been said before " buzz buzz, lights flash and match made".

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 11:36 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It just works with any reasonable swr. Plug it in, push the button, buzz-buzz, tuned. Appliance operating at its best, & sometimes you just want to operate.

N4LPK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2014 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Great little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this on January 25, 2014 at a Winter Field Day event. I used it with a Kenwood TS 570D and a MFJ 2286 Monopole antenna. The antenna has a air coil. I however shorted the coil and just used the tuner and worked stations all over the country. I used it on 10,15,20,and 40 with good results. I am very pleased with this little tuner.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little ATU  Time owned: months
I've had my LDG Z-100 Plus since April, 2011. I wanted to use it portable so, as instructed by the manual, I hot-wired the ATU to operate with a 9v battery.

With a velcro strap, I now have the Z-100Plus tethered to the bottom of my FT-817ND and with a homebrewed 40' dipole I can work 80 to 6m. By the way, the manual says the tuner weighs 1 lb. Mine weighs all of 8 oz.

I tried to use the Z-100Plus with my stealth raingutter antenna which conventional wisdom says should be operated as an end-fed antenna. I learned my lesson and read the manual again. The ATU doesn't work with EFAs or random length antennas unless you add an external balun.

Overall, an excellent little antenna, ESPECIALLY with the battery operation option. Highly recommended.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Still is and will always be..a black box that works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, it has been well over 18 months since I bought my LDG Z100+ autotuner, actually, its been about 20 months since I bought my black box from LDG. Ever notice how some things change almost overnight it seems, while other things stay the same, maybe it looks a bit different, or some other tiny feature has been added, or subtracted? So it is with the LDG Z100+ automatic antenna tuner. While a lot of other autotuner either change this or that, LDG changes very little with their tuners, they may discontinue one model in favor of the new and improved model, but the outside, and for the most part the insides have remained unchanged. My little Z100+ while I don't have any model of radio I can use as a fully automatic tuner, I've used as a semiauto tuner. This tuner is mainly used now for testing not just the occasional antenna, but more for testing certain older rigs that have no internal tuner, or tuner at all.

I have used this and my trusty little straight key now on a couple of older Yaesu rigs and a couple of Swan rigs, hook up the G5RV into the tuner, run a patch cable from rig to tuner, plug the key in, switch the rig to CW and let the tuning begin! As in mist cases with these rigs I am running 100 watts or less so this is ideal, cause the battery pack makes it so very easy, no power supply to have to connect to, basically a plug n play device. I haven't found an antenna or rig that this tuner wont work with, are they out there...I'm sure they are, I just haven't found it yet. A lot of these tuners are becoming hard to find, are they not building them, or is it that folks are holding onto them? I have toyed with the idea of selling my little Z100+, but then I think if I do, then I have ta change up my desk, get that rig that I'm testing connected to power, connect my LDG AT600Pro tuner, etc. etc......NAH, think I'll hold onto my Z100+ a while longer, I'm not going anywhere, nor is the tuner, and there will always be a rig that comes through the shack that I gotta test, think I'll just keep MY little black box..that still works!

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Very competent tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works with many brands, Icom etc, use a brand specific cables or as is. I've used it both ways and while specific cabling makes it one touch, it takes very little extra effort without. Tunes a "wet noodle" Hi Hi. Not really, but it's tuned anything I've tried it with, g5rvs, verticals and does so efficiently, many times you go back to a specific freq it latches on quickly.
Have yet to do the battery box, maybe if I get bored...
For the price I'd buy it again, have had brand/rig specific LDG tuners, but you're "stuck" with it if you sell radio...or practically give it away with rig, I've used this for 3 yrs and many rigs, it's a keeper..

KD5TXX Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2013 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I heard that LDG was a good value and I wanted a good auto tuner. I bought this one and it worked well for about 6 months with my 857. Then it stopped responding. I called LDG and they told me to read the instructions. I let them know that I had been using it fine for 6 months and understood how to use it. They then told me to switch to packet then key the radio to use the tuner. I said that that works but the tuner is supposed to, and used to do that for me like advertised. They finally agreed to let me send it back on my dime. So I sent it back. They did nothing to it and returned it. So now I have to manually switch and press the button then switch back. In a mobile that is not ideal. My gripe with them is they never made it right and acted like I should accept a product that failed to work as was expected. My LDG 817 tuner now does the same thing. With customer service like they showed me, I'll look for someone else to spend money with.

KB1UJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little autotuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have wanted one of these for a while, but didn't want to spend the money on a new one. I found a gently used one at a great price at a hamfest over the weekend and snatched it up. It works great connected to my IC-718 using the Icom interface cable. This makes for a very clean install as the tuner draws its power from the 718's tuner molex connection. The tune button on the radio triggers the Z-100 plus and puts the rig in tune mode, as advertised. I did have to enable the AH-4 tuner setting in the radio's menu as indicated in the Z-100 plus's manual. The manual itself is very well written with plenty of photos. The relays are a little loud, but I see this as more of a "nature of the beast" issue more than anything else. I am very happy with this find.

EC4KW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2013 12:37 Send this review to a friend
WORKS PERFECT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive got mine during last year, working in portable operations with internal rechargeables batteries case.

I use it with a fiberglass mast 12.5 meters, a homemade 1:9 unun and can tune all bands from 6 to 80 meters with no problems.

I think is very usefull, fast and low cost magic black box

2E0OKC Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2013 10:37 Send this review to a friend
somthing you may need to know  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i got a new ft857 and z-100plus tuner and the interface cable.
the tuner it self seems fine looks well made for the price.
it does what it says on the box but i do have a but,
i find using 25 watts RF into it slows down the relays to find you a match.
with 5 watts i get 1.2 on most bands and faster relay sound.but soon as i tune with 25 watts i get 1.5 or 1.6 this can be on any bands so i did a test on 1 band , 5 watts 1.2swr 25 watts 1.6swr .so tune with low power then change your RF as this will not change the swr.
after tune with 5 watts 1.2 swr then use 50 watts the swr is still 1.2 humm ow well but the tuner does work fine its just if you wont low low swr then you might have to do what i did.sort of takes the meaning out of auto dont it,

but im still happy i got it, its small and what i needed,