Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio Rigblaster
West Mountain Radio Rigblaster Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: Sound card to Rig interface
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio Rigblaster.

VA3KS Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2002 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Ultra COOL with SSTV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this device with SSTV almost 100% of the time. I am now hooked on SSTV because the Rigblaster made it so easy to get started! It is well made, the manual is adequate and it is almost a "no brainer" to hook up.

N8CH Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2002 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Great DX Mode  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I operated as KG4NW from GITMO in February. I made 518 PSK contacts in 6 days of operating. The pileups were horrendous. Could have made more if I could have sorted the calls. I used WINPSke2.2 woth the RigBlaster Plus, FT-100 and the FC-20 tuner. Never ran over 30 watts and worked 102 countries including Japan and South Africa. Wonder how it will work with the FT-1000D?

NK3T Rating: 1/5 Apr 10, 2002 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality, poor service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the Rigblaster at a hamfest last fall. Upon getting it home I found the unit to be dead. The instruction manual is very explicit as to the steps to follow. When I found it was dead, I looked into it farther before calling the company at my expense. The person reached at the company was belligerent, and treated me like a moron that could not read the instruction manual. Once he determined that I followed the steps in the instruction manual to the letter, he decided I should send it back at my expense for repair or replacement.

The QC is poor or non-existent that should allow units to go out of the factory dead. I should not have to go to an additional expense of phone calls, shipping, and insurance, due to their lack of QC.

W6CQA Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2002 22:00 Send this review to a friend
NOT QUITE PERFECT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, just got my M8 RIGBLASTER a few days ago. Ordered via the web and received outstanding service. Interface construction is excellent and with good documentation. While haveing been a ham for 45 years, this is my very first try at any digital mode. Considering my lack of experiance and knowledge with either digital modes or computers, I was able to get the PSK31 mode up and running the same day. I did find a couple of problems. One has to do with my new HP computer. When I plug the audio cable into the "AUX" output on my PC, it disconnects the PC speakers, so I must use the speaker out jack on the PC to feed Xmit audio to the radio. This means the transmitt audio level is varied with the PC volume control. One shortcomming of the RIGBLASTER is, there is no provision for reconnecting the radio speaker whenever the speaker output jack is needed to connect to the sound card. This leaves only the PC speakers for computer and radio. I don't always have the computer turned on , therefor, no audio from the radio and no room on the back panel of the RIGBLASTER to add a mini jack to plug my speaker into. I may be able to overcome this problem if I can use the fixed level audio output from the acc. jack on my IC-746PRO.

WA3REY Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2002 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Very nice interface.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a homebrew soundcard interface for about two years. One problem with that interface is I had RF distortion on the transmitted waveform in the first 500 kHz or so of the spectrum when running PSK31 with MixW. The RF problem went away when I started using the RigBlaster. I believe the layout of the circuit board along with the use of the optoisolator cured the problem. This is a really nice interface.

K4CPU Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2001 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Can't go wrong here.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my RigBlaster for about 9 months. Couldn't be happier with the results. Took about an hour to setup. Product well made. Manual very clear. After that, anyone I could hear I could work with 25 - 30 watts. I also found HamScope. Good freeware for PSK31. Great way to start working digital. Do yourself a favor. Have fun. 73's Everyone.

Lewis, K4CPU

N9BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2001 00:29 Send this review to a friend
RigBlaster NoMic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is the *hit!! Only took about 5 min. to get it working using PSK! A little longer to get SSTV to work. I would definitly recomend one of these bad boys.

W0FM Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2001 14:38 Send this review to a friend
No longer confused  Time owned: more than 12 months
Del, K1UHF, of West Mountain Radio saw my last review post and was kind enough to email me with an explanation of the ramifications of doing direct CW keying with a standard RIGblaster. It makes perfect sense now and I am happy that I bought the RIGblaster PLUS for use with CW keying software. I moved my standard RIGblaster to my 6 Meter rig (would have bought a RIGblaster for that radio eventually anyhow). So, armed with Del's explanation, I must up my rating of the RIGblaster to a 5! Great product and fantastic quality. The only confusion was in my head! 73,

Terry, WFM

W0FM Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2001 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Confu$ed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, that's news to me! The information that RigBlaster WILL key CW from a program like CW Type reached me a little late. I was told that I needed the RigBlaster PLUS in order to have CW keying output. So, I put my year old "original" RigBlaster aside and popped for a RigBlaster PLUS. It works fine with CW Type, but I wish I had this information sooner. Could have saved me a few $$$. So, I'll give this fine product a "4" for the CONFUSION. (I love it on PSK also!) Terry, WFM

KD7KGX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2001 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Rigblasters WILL transmit CW  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Rigblaster NOMIC (see the separate category for my full review). It has been used successfully to send CW from several computer programs, and all Rigblasters have this capability.

In order for this to work, you have to make sure that your Rigblaster-to-transmitter cable has both the audio in AND the PTT wire pairs hooked up correctly. Most radios use the same circuitry for PTT and CW keying.

The Rigblaster responds to DTR and/or RTS toggling to key the radio. It works FB with CWType.

In summary, if you can't send CW with your Rigblaster, then you have it hooked up wrong.