Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-450B Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-450B
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-450B Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,000.00
Description: HF 400W solid state linear amplifier, 3.5-28 MHz (including WARC)
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp/english/hl_450b_e.html

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-450B.

W5WSS Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning this amplifier over 5yrs now I want to update my original review.

Specifically regarding output power.

I first reported measuring APX 300 watts PEP SSB anywhere on any band into a non inductive dummy load.

The correction is as a result of better supply current as measured in amperes and after careful steps were taken to evaluate the system The new output power to report is favorable.

45 Watts PEP SSB drive power (No Speech Processor)

10m 350 watts PEP SSB
30m 450 Watts PEP SSB
40M 450 Watts PEP SSB
60M 450 Watts PEP SSB
80M 450 Watts PEP SSB
The amplifier has been flawless!

N6PAT Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
A really great amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second THP amp. I first bought a THP HL-45B 45 watt amp to go with my FT817 and it worked great so I decided to get a THP HL-450B 400 watt to go with my FT450D.

This amp is a real work of art. Clearly a lot of thought went into the design and construction of this and the performance is the proof.

Built rock solid it takes anything you can throw at it and keeps on going. It stays ice cold even after long QSO's. I get 400 watts on most bands with 40 watts input. After numerous signal tests with DX and domestic stations I can confirm that this amp gives three S units improvement over running the FT450D barefoot.

After reading the reviews for this amp I purchased a TENMA 72-7655 power supply on Amazon for half the cost of the matching THP power supply. It looks to be the exact same as the THP power supply but without the THP name.

While this amp may cost more than other 400-500 watt amps it is certainly worth it. I've made many DX contacts with this and a simple vertical antenna. See my qrz page for a log of my contacts.

Bottom line: I highly recommend this great amp and give it five stars

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Real Nice Mobile Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Background: I have been working over four months on a mobile install with Hank Wayne, W6NXS, who is a professional mobile communication installer in San Diego. The installation which is fairly complex is in my 1997 Silverado has been a long road and my setup includes an Elecraft K3 as a mobile rig with the 2m transverter and a Hi Q 4/80RT antenna. It runs completely separate from the car electrical in a well grounded tool case in the bed of the truck with a dedicated Optima deep cycle marine battery to power it that is charged through a marine solenoid from a larger after market alternator.

Initially I tried to utilize a different amplifier that had a lot of spurious RF issues and was completely unstable even with a solid antenna installtion. It was an easy decision for me examining the different options to pick the THP HL450B. Running barefoot 100W with the K3 was fine but with the great setup and money spent on the mobile, I wanted to have some QRO for more serious DXing when I am on the road.

I am using the HL60 remote control unit with a 13' cable that I ordered from Tokyo High Power corporate and received it in three days from Tokyo directly. I also ordered a custom cable for the THP-450B that Tom Rum built for me specifically for the K3 which has a 15 pin ACC plug for ALC and an RCA for keying the amp from the K3. It is a slick setup and it is working unbelievably well. The folks at THP were with me the entire way.

Initial Results: Today in my client's parking lot before work I was able to work Z21LV Zimbabwe longpath. He told me that I was a 56 and just above his noise floor. The amp made the difference. Other comments from ham friends have included that my mobile sounds like a base station with great audio and a major increase in signal when the amplifier is on and in-line. This makes me very happy and pleased with my purchase. The THP HL450B provides the extra punch I need to make that type of DX contact I am wanting on the road. I am so happy that I spent the money to purchase such a great amplifier from a great company that is focused on customer support like THP. THP in my estimation is likely the best mobile amplifier producer available on the market today.

KK5JY Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2012 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable  Time owned: more than 12 months
First the good:

The amplifier is a work of art internally. Like every other THP amplifier I have seen, if you remove the top cover, it is obvious that you are looking at a well designed and executed product.

The protection circuits are exceptional. Voltage, SWR, overdrive, wrong-band, over-temp. I make mistakes and the amplifier protects itself from me instantly, then shines a fault light to remind me that I just did something wrong. If I cycle the power, the fault clears and I go on.

The ALC output circuit expectations (negative voltage) are perfect for the K3 that drives it, and the trigger level can be adjusted from the back panel.

All of the intelligence of the amplifier is done in a PIC16 chip. That's just a very ham-radio-friendly design.

The max power level matches really nicely with my urban station, operating habits, etc., and has helped greatly when working SSB DX.

The not-so-good:

The cooling fan shipped with my unit was way too loud for the CFS flow rate it was supposed to provide. I replaced it twice, and finally found a fan that is the same flow rate, but much more quiet. Also, the fan runs 100% full-time. A single-chip thermal fan control circuit could be added for $5. Why did they not?

The SWR fault occurs at 2.0 and is not adjustable. At 1.99 the amplifier works -- at 2.0, the amplifier hard-faults and has to be power-cycled. Too bad you just passed that semi on the highway during your QSO, and temporarily sent your SWR to 2.5. You now have to reset your amp. Elecraft did much better by causing their amp to reduce gain temporarily until the SWR falls to a better level.

Speaking of gain, the gain varies quite a bit from band to band. For example, I can get 400W on 15m with 25W of drive. At 50W drive, I only get about 325W on 20m.

With all of the intelligence built into the amplifier, there is still no way to externally select the band, like there is on the HL-45B, a lower-cost product. Even the remote control has no way to do this. The amplifier *can* automatically select the band based on the input signal. However, if you do this, the amplifier relays will double-click very briefly when you first key-down and apply power, trying to select the right band. This has never caused a fault, but I'm not comfortable with it having a moment of indecision with each PTT key-down -- especially when I haven't switched bands since the last key-down. As a result, I don't use the auto band switch feature. An external band-control line would have been much better, IMHO.

If you use it as a desktop amplifier, you need a power supply that can feed it. The cheapest I have found is an Astron Linear, which is now in the $330 range. Given that the amplifiers themselves are now over $1200 from HRO, you probably do better in dollar-per-watt to just go with the KPA-500 for a solid-state desktop, since the latter has more features AND an internal PS.

For a mobile amplifier, dollar-per-watt, this one is hard to beat, as it will protect itself from the more demanding environment.

I like the amplifier, but it does need some refinement, especially in the $3.50/W range ($1240 / 350W typical) without the power supply.

KH6DAN Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I wanted to boost the signal of my Kenwood TS-2000 a tad from 100 watts. I'm in a restricted area and prefer to hide my antennas. The houses are too close to give me a good feeling about interference so I do not want to add too much power. Most of the Hams I've talked to say they can avoid interference by keeping it under 400 watts.

The HL-450B will give me 300 watts driving it with 45. The extra 200 watts I get are probably more psychological than all that effective but it gives me a good feeling. I do think the extra power does help though since my antennas are not 5 element yagis at 100 ft. I'm only using a 66 ft Off Center Fed dipole up at 25 feet and a 24 ft flagpole.

The amp cost me $1,000 new. I needed a power supply so I purchased the Tokyo Hy-Power HP-460 power supply for $500 (see my review on eHam). The same exact power supply (without the Tokyo Hy-power sticker) was $300 new on the internet. It's called a TENMA 72-7655 and it works really good. I have since bought one to use on my 200 watt TS-480HX instead of two 20 amp power supplies.

Anyway ... the amp works perfectly. It's point and shoot. No tuning needed. Built like a small tank and stays cool with a fan on the side panel. Like I said... the extra 200 watts makes operating pretty nice and the European stations don't have to squirm and struggle to hear me. Makes a big difference in that regard.

(when the bands are open I believe you can run 5 watts through a soda can make contacts)

The amp only does 3.5 to 28. No 160 or 6 meters. If you use more than 50 watts you could damage the amp so be careful.

If I had the money and the space I would have an amp with much more power. If there was a much less expensive 300 watt, solid state amp I would have probably bought that one. I guess one could get a Ameritron 600 watt tube amp and drive it with less power (can you get 300-400 watts out of the 600 watt Ameritrons?) the Ameritron should save you a few hundred $. However, keep in mind the solid state amps are "tune free".

K7RNV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2011 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Very nice and easy to use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am really happy with this amp, works great and very easy to set up. Customer service is outstanding and they answer there phone..Bob

KJ4BAD Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 15:06 Send this review to a friend
As advertized  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just put the HL-450B in service driven by a IC-746 Pro running into wire dipole and rotatable dipole through MFJ Auto Tuner. Excellent signal reports with 1+ possibly up to 2 S-units of increase over stock 100 watts. All protective functions worked immediately if involved and mistuned. With ALC and 50 Watts the unit delivers 350 Watts and possible a bit more. I have been able to get into nets without any issues including the crowded nets, and now able to rise above the fray. Well designed, nicely produced, and fit and finish some of the best in the industry. Driven by Diamond 60 amp power supply, all purchased from HRO who met and beat others prices with immediate shipping. Highly recommended for base operation needing a boost for DX and crowded bands.

N5DMT Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2009 12:15 Send this review to a friend
quality amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an Amp that would give me a little extra boost while operating from the QTH and the ability to go portable. This amp fills the bill for both. It makes the difference I needed with the Nets and I'm getting good reports. I am using a tuner between it and the antenna and when tuned I am getting close to 400 watts out on 80m, 400 watts out on 40 meters and a little over 400 on 20 meters. I do back it down to 350 watts after tuning as no one on the other end can tell the difference. The protection circuit works really well and I feel confident that when I do take it portable I will have great sucess there as well. Great piece of equipment and great service from the guys at Array Solutions... very helpful with all my questions!
Bob