Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Byonics GPS2 Help

Reviews Summary for Byonics GPS2
Byonics GPS2 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69
Description: Small, magnetic GPS receiver with a SiRFstar III chipset. Serial output and requires 5 volts.
More info: http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

You can write your own review of the Byonics GPS2.

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2010 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using one of these for a couple of years now and can't complain. It does exactly what's claimed for it. The only thing I have to compare it to is a 'Tripmate' GPS by 'Delorme'. I honestly can't tell any difference between the two.

I've used 'Byonics' equipment since starting APRS and am very happy with it (the stand-alone transmitters, and lately the 'MT-RTG'). Things are continually being 'up-graded', and there's new stuff in the waiting room, sort of. Problems (mostly my fault) have been dealt with quickly. I'm a happy camper.
Paul

Why the 4 instead of a 5? Because about the only thing I'd give a max rating to has to be female.
(that's cuz I'm chicken!)

WB6FQZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2010 08:26 Send this review to a friend
WORKS WELL BUT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I USE THE GPS 2 WITH A TINY TRAK WITH VERY GOOD RESULTS. THE ONLY ISSUE I HAVE IS THAT IT PUTS OUT A STRONG SIGNAL ALL OVER THE 6 METER BAND.I CONTACTED BYONICS AND THEY HAD NO REAL SOLUTION. APPARANTLY THIS IS A PROBLEM UNIQUE TO MY STATION. IF YOU DON'T RUN 6 METERS THEN I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE GPS 2. BYONICS PRODUCES EXCELLENT PRODUCTS.

KE5IRD Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Does what it is meant to do - perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these when I purchased a TT3+ to replace an aging Garmin unit that took forever to obtain a lock. In contrast, the GPS2 obtains a lock within 2 seconds every time. I keep the receiver/antenna inside the car at all times; it obtains a lock even on a rainy day under tree cover in spite of all the barriers.

Lastly, I highly recommend Byonics in general for such high quality products with personal attention/support.

VK6ABA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2009 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Better than most other brands  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 of these units and am very impressed with the results. It is real value for money.

The GPS2 can also be used on a PC. This will require an adaptor cable which is very simple to make yourself. The GPS2 is supplied by Byonics for use with the TinyTrak range of products and is designed to be powered from a 5volt source with + on PIN 4 and Ground on PIN 5. Although the GPS2 use a standard male 9-PIN D-Type connector, it does not power up when plugged into a RS-232 port on a computer. The solution is to provide +5 Volt to pin 4 on the GPS2. A good 5 volt source on a computer is PIN 1 on a USB port. As most computers have several of these ports I decided to build a converter that uses 2 USB ports. The first USB port for a USB-to-Serial converter to receive the GPS2 data and the second port to power the unit.

I have all the details and photos of how to build this simple converter on my website at http://come.to/vk6aba

N8QID Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2009 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Great value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great GPS receiver! I have several other GPS products (handheld GPS, car navigation GPS, cell phone GPS) and this one locks on faster and keeps its lock better than any other GPS that I've ever owned. I had it stuck to my trunklid for a while, but realized that there was no reason to subject it to the elements, so it is now in the rear deck of my sedan. It never looses sync and will start sending good data to my TinyTrak3 almost instantly. I've never seen a GPS acquire a sync so quickly.

I have also used this GPS with an Icom marine radio for DSC and it works perfectly. If you need a small GPS receiver with serial output, this is a great one.