Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Paragon Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Paragon
Ten-Tec Paragon Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1,895
Description: 1987 era frequency synthesized 100 Watt Amateur HF transceiver with general coverage receive
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Paragon.

K4LAN Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 06:24 Send this review to a friend
5/5 +  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought mine several months ago for general coverage.Have a complete ten tec line and have for over 25 years. this radio gives me a second rx to check the bands. great rx audio. not as hot as my omni 6+, but i knew that when i bought it. its a great general coverage receiver for a second hand or back up radio. never have put it in tx yet, only use it for rx, checking for dx pile ups. i only operate cw any way. got mine with 3 cw filters. should of bought a paragon sooner to add to my ten tec line up. looks great next to the ten tec line up. ten tec has produced some of the best made ham gear for a reasonable price for many years.

KG4FET Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2013 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Main HF rig now!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For those of you giving the bad reviews pack um and send um here, I'll take you problem Paragons. I have had mine now for a month or so and it's a heck of a rig. This one has the "rare" FM board, and the 1.8 kHz Narrow filter. Mine did come with it's share of problems though. TT Tech support pointed me in the right direction on an audio problem. A good going through with some contact cleaner and reseating of ALL of the connections fixed 99% of the little issues. Problems resolved and this rig is an easier listen then my Kenwood TS2K for RX, has excellent audio with the $3.00 karaoke mic. RX tone control, BP, fade, and PBT all work great at eliminating close in stations and kick in the 1.8 kHz filter and WOW! Easy to work on, LOTS OF ROOM inside, I really am enjoying this as the main HF rig and letting the 2K sit on 6M and 2M. At this point I would even consider the TT 6M and 2M transverters to run this there and sell the 2K

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2013 17:59 Send this review to a friend
very nice rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this rig a 4 because I never give a 5 for any rig, because there is no such thing as perfect. I have had three of these in my lifetime and sold 2 to get some money to try a new rig, well I saw this one advertised at such a low price I could not refuse it. now its not as good as my Jupiter but its not as new either. now anyone that buys a 30 year old transistorized electrical device and complains when it doesn't work or it is not perfect or doesn't work at all. everything breaks down in time. have you ever bought an old car. same thing but just looking at the good comments, I would say you should have checked your seller out if you got a lemon. a lot of these radios had production problems but by now should have been repaired. so buyer beware. mine works perfect but when it breaks down i'm not going to blame the manufacturer, mine is over 30 years old and will break eventually but I didn't pay two thousand dollars for it either. if Geihl still makes the update chip buy one.

GW3OKA Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Poor investment.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a faulty Paragon very cheaply, a diode had gone in the bandswitching, simple fix. Then VOX died, then the RF Processor started to play up, then the thing kept forgetting its memory when switched off, then it always came on in default,on odd occassions it would show PLL ERROR but if you touched the VFO it was back OK finally it started to jam in transmit. Over a 4 month period I spent more time repairing duff soldering than actually using the thing!
Proved to be utterly unreliable rig, would never buy another Ten Tec if this was an example o the quality of workmanship.
Definitely not a recommended purchase.

N3OD Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good for a 25 year old design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Paragon was purchased several months ago to replace an OMNI 6 Option 1. It does not have all of the features of an Omni-6 like DSP, Auto notch etc. One thing is does have is very pleasnt receive audio and AM RX. Also it has General Coverage Xmit which allows 60 Meter operation. Mine has the aftermarket Geihl chip which I really can't comment on because I can't compare it to anything. One complaint that I have is its freq read-out is not really that accurate. Older Ten-Tecs have this fault which wasn't really cured until they went to software defined radios beginning with the Pegasus/Jupiter line. I always get good audio reports when I am on frequency. I run a Heil Goldline GM-5 with my setup. The only reason I use the Heil is that I already have it from a previous station setup. The Ten Tec 705 factory mic is good with any of the Ten Tecs that I have owned in the last 30 or so years. All in all although I like the Paragon,I am looking for a modern radio with more features. I will keep the Paragon for a backup.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of these boat anchors in my collection and am pleasantly surprised! You know, I read all of the reviews on every rig that I purchase, but I usually discount most of the negatives and figure they were just bad luck to those that experienced them. You can get a bad rig from any manufacture(I've had a few).I have a couple of "top of the line " Rigs and honestly, even without DSP the Paragon 585 hear's as well( Which means I can hear also) and in many case's better than those top dogs. Of course you don't have 150 menu items to play with, but I would rather spend my time using my rig. As far as "loop Board" issue's, I've had none and would recommend this rig to anyone whom enjoys the hobby. 73's

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
FB Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find the Paragon ll to be a great value for their now going price. I am constantly amazed with the audio signal reports I receive. The audio on SW receive is also great.I operate CW most of the time and this rig is great on that mode also. The shape of the CW note is really also toward my preference.I would recommend this rig to anyone. Smiley WB4EDB

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 10:34 Send this review to a friend
fantsatic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my paragon for 2 years now bought it with PLL problem since fixed never looked back and never gone wrong.
Im 100% cw.the Paragon is fully loaded cw filter wise.
Despite some negative comments i cant honestly fault mine compared against my ts 940 930 k2 tentec 1320 it holds its head up high with pride...

KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Paragon Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my Paragon update. After another year of use the Paragon is still my Main HF Rig. I have a limited budget but have tried other radio's. After trading for a Yaesu FT-897D and reading the manual for days, I was able to navigate the menu's. What I have done is to leave both radio's on the desk and use the Yaesu for VHF/UHF mostly. The Paragon ( IMHO ) simply out performs the FT-897D on receive and transmit hands down. I have had no other issues with the Paragon since the repair ( see my other review.) I can hear stations with the Paragon that the Yaesu is stone deaf to. Everybody that I talk to says that the Paragon has the best sounding transmitter. Currently I am working on a Corsair for a friend and it is the closest thing that I have found that will even come close to the performance of my Paragon.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine now for about a year, never had any problems.
Most of my operation is 75%-CW, 20%-AM (broadcast band listening) and 5%-SSB. The PBT/NOTCH and BP/FADE are amazing front panel controls that I use often. For the casual operator, the optional filters are not needed. Direct frequency entry is great, never used the memories. 10Hz is nice but I did not enable it much. QSK, of course in the FAST selection. Especially liked the TUNE button, worked well with my LDG tuner. I rated it at 5 compared with others of the timeframe, not comparing it with current technology radios.
Sadly.... it is slowly moving to the right.. with a new Jupiter front and center.