Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Paragon Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Paragon
Ten-Tec Paragon Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1,895
Description: 1987 era frequency synthesized 100 Watt Amateur HF transceiver with general coverage receive
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Paragon.

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
FB Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find the Paragon ll to be a great value for their now going price. I am constantly amazed with the audio signal reports I receive. The audio on SW receive is also great.I operate CW most of the time and this rig is great on that mode also. The shape of the CW note is really also toward my preference.I would recommend this rig to anyone. Smiley WB4EDB

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 10:34 Send this review to a friend
fantsatic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my paragon for 2 years now bought it with PLL problem since fixed never looked back and never gone wrong.
Im 100% cw.the Paragon is fully loaded cw filter wise.
Despite some negative comments i cant honestly fault mine compared against my ts 940 930 k2 tentec 1320 it holds its head up high with pride...

KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Paragon Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my Paragon update. After another year of use the Paragon is still my Main HF Rig. I have a limited budget but have tried other radio's. After trading for a Yaesu FT-897D and reading the manual for days, I was able to navigate the menu's. What I have done is to leave both radio's on the desk and use the Yaesu for VHF/UHF mostly. The Paragon ( IMHO ) simply out performs the FT-897D on receive and transmit hands down. I have had no other issues with the Paragon since the repair ( see my other review.) I can hear stations with the Paragon that the Yaesu is stone deaf to. Everybody that I talk to says that the Paragon has the best sounding transmitter. Currently I am working on a Corsair for a friend and it is the closest thing that I have found that will even come close to the performance of my Paragon.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine now for about a year, never had any problems.
Most of my operation is 75%-CW, 20%-AM (broadcast band listening) and 5%-SSB. The PBT/NOTCH and BP/FADE are amazing front panel controls that I use often. For the casual operator, the optional filters are not needed. Direct frequency entry is great, never used the memories. 10Hz is nice but I did not enable it much. QSK, of course in the FAST selection. Especially liked the TUNE button, worked well with my LDG tuner. I rated it at 5 compared with others of the timeframe, not comparing it with current technology radios.
Sadly.... it is slowly moving to the right.. with a new Jupiter front and center.

WK8V Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2010 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my Paragon used about 10 years ago and it's been a solid piece of equipment. It has a very sensitive rcvr and I use for ham and SWL purposes. I have installed all optional filters and upgraded to a N4PY chip (provides many of the Paragon II features). The rig has intuitive controls and direct frequency entry. One thing I would change in the radio design is the 9V battery used for memory storage -- the batteries don't last very long and the top cover must be removed to install a replacement. I believe these radios are a bargain on the used market.

W4IDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice SWL Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Main rig is Omni VIPlus, Paragon is my spare rig. Use it for SSB Ragchewing. I still love SWLing, it brings back fond memories of my youth. The Paragon is a really nice sounding SWL rig. Although my Paragon is one of those plagued with the drifing problem, I just lock into the station i want to hear, hit the "lock" button and that's it.... I wouldn't have the Paragon for my MAIN rig, but it's a good spare rig, and looks great in the shack.. 73 de W4IDW

K5SOG Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2010 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Simple, Bulletproof Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am posting this to counter some of the sour grapes reviews. I have owned two Paragons and have found them to be dependable rigs. My day-to-day ragchewing Paragon has served me well for many years. Yes, the frequency display is a little small, and you have to leave the power supply turned on, (as stated in the manual). Paragons are going relatively cheap these days. Often as not, I reach for the Paragon for DXing, and it holds its own against more modern and much more expensive transceivers. General coverage is a plus for SWLing.
Replacing the meter lamp with a #47 LED (Centsible Amusements) got rid of the brownish color. Brilliant white is much better. Filters are tight-skirted, effective. CW is smooth as silk.
I would buy another if I thought my current rig was ever going to fail.

MI3LVZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2009 09:12 Send this review to a friend
WTF!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your life is just wonderful and you feel the need for some hassle when it comes to the world of HF radios, well this is the lemon for you. While away the hours emailing Ten-Tec with a litany of never ending problems. Sit back and strain your ears at the harshness of the receiver. Be amazed by the early 1980's computer synthesised programming as various digits and figures appear and disappear on the display. Glue yourself to Ebay in the vain hope that a working PLL board will appear. Wonder at just how HOME BREW this thing is on the inside. And finally marvel at your own idiocy and the never ending cry of "Why did i buy this abomination"
I have read that the Paragon is easily worked at with its simple layout, well there's one sure thing, you'll be doing plenty of work to it!
My Drake TR7 simply destroys it hands down!
NEVER EVER EVER WILL I HAVE GARBAGE LIKE THIS IN MY SHACK....

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2009 08:26 Send this review to a friend
I gave it a 4/5 because my tt jupiter is better  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a great rig,had it for several years. I use it most of the time, I also have it modified for QRP and it has a Ghiel chip which i like and all filters.I bought another one for backup parts but it works great also and has the voice option.The only thing i don't like is the backup battery and only use rechargeable batteries. it should have been installed on the outside of the rig. something i plan to do.Of course it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like the newer rigs but i don't use them anyway. i am straight morse code.I have a kenwood 570 dg and a ten tec jupiter both nice rigs.

N4VHG Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Even Better with the Gheil Chip  Time owned: more than 12 months
A bit dated by todays standards but, they are available at attractive prices today. Once Ten-Tec ironed out the PLL board problem, the Paragon proved to be a reliable and high performance radio. The front end is sensitive and stout. Transmit audio is clean. CW operation is true QSK. The Ten-Tec filters are good but, InRad makes great replacements. And, even without a tuner it puts out 100+ Watts as long as the vswr is <2:1. I own a FT-1000MP, TS-950sd and an IC-765. This radio hold its own in that crowd.
P.S. Ten-Tec service is second to none.