Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Ten-Tec Paragon Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Paragon
Ten-Tec Paragon Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1,895
Description: 1987 era frequency synthesized 100 Watt Amateur HF transceiver with general coverage receive
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Paragon.

GW3OKA Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Poor investment.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a faulty Paragon very cheaply, a diode had gone in the bandswitching, simple fix. Then VOX died, then the RF Processor started to play up, then the thing kept forgetting its memory when switched off, then it always came on in default,on odd occassions it would show PLL ERROR but if you touched the VFO it was back OK finally it started to jam in transmit. Over a 4 month period I spent more time repairing duff soldering than actually using the thing!
Proved to be utterly unreliable rig, would never buy another Ten Tec if this was an example o the quality of workmanship.
Definitely not a recommended purchase.

N3OD Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good for a 25 year old design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Paragon was purchased several months ago to replace an OMNI 6 Option 1. It does not have all of the features of an Omni-6 like DSP, Auto notch etc. One thing is does have is very pleasnt receive audio and AM RX. Also it has General Coverage Xmit which allows 60 Meter operation. Mine has the aftermarket Geihl chip which I really can't comment on because I can't compare it to anything. One complaint that I have is its freq read-out is not really that accurate. Older Ten-Tecs have this fault which wasn't really cured until they went to software defined radios beginning with the Pegasus/Jupiter line. I always get good audio reports when I am on frequency. I run a Heil Goldline GM-5 with my setup. The only reason I use the Heil is that I already have it from a previous station setup. The Ten Tec 705 factory mic is good with any of the Ten Tecs that I have owned in the last 30 or so years. All in all although I like the Paragon,I am looking for a modern radio with more features. I will keep the Paragon for a backup.

KJ4KBC Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of these boat anchors in my collection and am pleasantly surprised! You know, I read all of the reviews on every rig that I purchase, but I usually discount most of the negatives and figure they were just bad luck to those that experienced them. You can get a bad rig from any manufacture(I've had a few).I have a couple of "top of the line " Rigs and honestly, even without DSP the Paragon 585 hear's as well( Which means I can hear also) and in many case's better than those top dogs. Of course you don't have 150 menu items to play with, but I would rather spend my time using my rig. As far as "loop Board" issue's, I've had none and would recommend this rig to anyone whom enjoys the hobby. 73's

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 05:59 Send this review to a friend
FB Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find the Paragon ll to be a great value for their now going price. I am constantly amazed with the audio signal reports I receive. The audio on SW receive is also great.I operate CW most of the time and this rig is great on that mode also. The shape of the CW note is really also toward my preference.I would recommend this rig to anyone. Smiley WB4EDB

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 10:34 Send this review to a friend
fantsatic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my paragon for 2 years now bought it with PLL problem since fixed never looked back and never gone wrong.
Im 100% cw.the Paragon is fully loaded cw filter wise.
Despite some negative comments i cant honestly fault mine compared against my ts 940 930 k2 tentec 1320 it holds its head up high with pride...

KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Paragon Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my Paragon update. After another year of use the Paragon is still my Main HF Rig. I have a limited budget but have tried other radio's. After trading for a Yaesu FT-897D and reading the manual for days, I was able to navigate the menu's. What I have done is to leave both radio's on the desk and use the Yaesu for VHF/UHF mostly. The Paragon ( IMHO ) simply out performs the FT-897D on receive and transmit hands down. I have had no other issues with the Paragon since the repair ( see my other review.) I can hear stations with the Paragon that the Yaesu is stone deaf to. Everybody that I talk to says that the Paragon has the best sounding transmitter. Currently I am working on a Corsair for a friend and it is the closest thing that I have found that will even come close to the performance of my Paragon.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine now for about a year, never had any problems.
Most of my operation is 75%-CW, 20%-AM (broadcast band listening) and 5%-SSB. The PBT/NOTCH and BP/FADE are amazing front panel controls that I use often. For the casual operator, the optional filters are not needed. Direct frequency entry is great, never used the memories. 10Hz is nice but I did not enable it much. QSK, of course in the FAST selection. Especially liked the TUNE button, worked well with my LDG tuner. I rated it at 5 compared with others of the timeframe, not comparing it with current technology radios.
Sadly.... it is slowly moving to the right.. with a new Jupiter front and center.

WK8V Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2010 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my Paragon used about 10 years ago and it's been a solid piece of equipment. It has a very sensitive rcvr and I use for ham and SWL purposes. I have installed all optional filters and upgraded to a N4PY chip (provides many of the Paragon II features). The rig has intuitive controls and direct frequency entry. One thing I would change in the radio design is the 9V battery used for memory storage -- the batteries don't last very long and the top cover must be removed to install a replacement. I believe these radios are a bargain on the used market.

W4IDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice SWL Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Main rig is Omni VIPlus, Paragon is my spare rig. Use it for SSB Ragchewing. I still love SWLing, it brings back fond memories of my youth. The Paragon is a really nice sounding SWL rig. Although my Paragon is one of those plagued with the drifing problem, I just lock into the station i want to hear, hit the "lock" button and that's it.... I wouldn't have the Paragon for my MAIN rig, but it's a good spare rig, and looks great in the shack.. 73 de W4IDW

K5SOG Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2010 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Simple, Bulletproof Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am posting this to counter some of the sour grapes reviews. I have owned two Paragons and have found them to be dependable rigs. My day-to-day ragchewing Paragon has served me well for many years. Yes, the frequency display is a little small, and you have to leave the power supply turned on, (as stated in the manual). Paragons are going relatively cheap these days. Often as not, I reach for the Paragon for DXing, and it holds its own against more modern and much more expensive transceivers. General coverage is a plus for SWLing.
Replacing the meter lamp with a #47 LED (Centsible Amusements) got rid of the brownish color. Brilliant white is much better. Filters are tight-skirted, effective. CW is smooth as silk.
I would buy another if I thought my current rig was ever going to fail.