Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Paragon Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Paragon
Ten-Tec Paragon Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1,895
Description: 1987 era frequency synthesized 100 Watt Amateur HF transceiver with general coverage receive
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Paragon.

WK8V Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2010 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my Paragon used about 10 years ago and it's been a solid piece of equipment. It has a very sensitive rcvr and I use for ham and SWL purposes. I have installed all optional filters and upgraded to a N4PY chip (provides many of the Paragon II features). The rig has intuitive controls and direct frequency entry. One thing I would change in the radio design is the 9V battery used for memory storage -- the batteries don't last very long and the top cover must be removed to install a replacement. I believe these radios are a bargain on the used market.

W4IDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2010 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice SWL Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Main rig is Omni VIPlus, Paragon is my spare rig. Use it for SSB Ragchewing. I still love SWLing, it brings back fond memories of my youth. The Paragon is a really nice sounding SWL rig. Although my Paragon is one of those plagued with the drifing problem, I just lock into the station i want to hear, hit the "lock" button and that's it.... I wouldn't have the Paragon for my MAIN rig, but it's a good spare rig, and looks great in the shack.. 73 de W4IDW

K5SOG Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2010 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Simple, Bulletproof Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am posting this to counter some of the sour grapes reviews. I have owned two Paragons and have found them to be dependable rigs. My day-to-day ragchewing Paragon has served me well for many years. Yes, the frequency display is a little small, and you have to leave the power supply turned on, (as stated in the manual). Paragons are going relatively cheap these days. Often as not, I reach for the Paragon for DXing, and it holds its own against more modern and much more expensive transceivers. General coverage is a plus for SWLing.
Replacing the meter lamp with a #47 LED (Centsible Amusements) got rid of the brownish color. Brilliant white is much better. Filters are tight-skirted, effective. CW is smooth as silk.
I would buy another if I thought my current rig was ever going to fail.

MI3LVZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2009 09:12 Send this review to a friend
WTF!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If your life is just wonderful and you feel the need for some hassle when it comes to the world of HF radios, well this is the lemon for you. While away the hours emailing Ten-Tec with a litany of never ending problems. Sit back and strain your ears at the harshness of the receiver. Be amazed by the early 1980's computer synthesised programming as various digits and figures appear and disappear on the display. Glue yourself to Ebay in the vain hope that a working PLL board will appear. Wonder at just how HOME BREW this thing is on the inside. And finally marvel at your own idiocy and the never ending cry of "Why did i buy this abomination"
I have read that the Paragon is easily worked at with its simple layout, well there's one sure thing, you'll be doing plenty of work to it!
My Drake TR7 simply destroys it hands down!
NEVER EVER EVER WILL I HAVE GARBAGE LIKE THIS IN MY SHACK....

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2009 08:26 Send this review to a friend
I gave it a 4/5 because my tt jupiter is better  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a great rig,had it for several years. I use it most of the time, I also have it modified for QRP and it has a Ghiel chip which i like and all filters.I bought another one for backup parts but it works great also and has the voice option.The only thing i don't like is the backup battery and only use rechargeable batteries. it should have been installed on the outside of the rig. something i plan to do.Of course it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like the newer rigs but i don't use them anyway. i am straight morse code.I have a kenwood 570 dg and a ten tec jupiter both nice rigs.

N4VHG Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Even Better with the Gheil Chip  Time owned: more than 12 months
A bit dated by todays standards but, they are available at attractive prices today. Once Ten-Tec ironed out the PLL board problem, the Paragon proved to be a reliable and high performance radio. The front end is sensitive and stout. Transmit audio is clean. CW operation is true QSK. The Ten-Tec filters are good but, InRad makes great replacements. And, even without a tuner it puts out 100+ Watts as long as the vswr is <2:1. I own a FT-1000MP, TS-950sd and an IC-765. This radio hold its own in that crowd.
P.S. Ten-Tec service is second to none.

N4NRW Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2005 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig Now Working  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, the Paragon has a past history of PLL problems. Even end of run units like this one with high S/N and factory modifications on the back sides of boards. This was due in part to single sided PCB's with poor solder joints and Lot's of hot melt glue in the VCO cans. The stress placed on the poor solder joints by the thermal expansion of the hot melt glue aggravates the problem. (Melt out the glue, completely resolder the minor and major loop boards and realign) With all of that said and the rig now working it's a great radio. During it's time it was feature packed and still holds it's own very well today. Solid performer, easy and intuitive to operate without 5 levels of sub menus to set up. Excellent audio reports.

GILLIAM_LINEBERRY_EX_N4VOX Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Love My Paragon  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have 6 HF rigs, but my best radio is my old Paragon. This radio has given me faithful service for more than 10 years. It is simple to operate and meets my needs for both ham and MARS operations. It is so nice to have a manufactuerer that you can call and ask a question. Great company TenTec.

Gill Lineberry
N4VOX

W4JFR Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 09:32 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a number of rigs over the years and this one may be the best (I still love my Triton IV digital on SSB). On CW, the Paragon IS, quite simply, the best rig I've ever used. I truly cannot understand many of the negative comments that this rig got in some of the earlier reviews. It offers a number of features, yet is rather simple to use. And, the performance is excellent on both phone and CW. I've owned mine for nearly ten years and it is as good today as when I first bought it.
Jim, W4JFR

NZ8J Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Paragon II - Great Rig!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently obtained this Paragon II used after advertising that I was looking for one. I've owned many rigs over the years, both older ones and most of the current ones on the market. My main interest is CW and I find it hard to fault the Paragon II in any way. The QSK is flawless, absolutely no "thumps, pops, squeals,or any other artifacts" on the sidetone when using QSK. I cannot say that for many of the newer rigs I've owned. The receiver is very good, and with a full compliment of optional filters combined with the PBT and the built-in variable audio filter it holds it's own in the most diffucult of conditions. It also comes with an excellent xtal AM filter (6 khz, 11khz @ 60 DB) that makes BCB DX'ing and SWL'ing a pleasure. All in all I find the Paragon II to be an excellent radio. They are a bit more expensive than the original Paragon, but if you can find one at a reasonable price you'll be very happy with it especially if you are a cw operator. The Paragons started with a bad reputation, however in my opinion they are a much better radio than the numbers reflect here on eHam. This obviously is a subjective review and reflects my experience in real world operation, lab numbers don't always translate to a pleasant experience in everyday operation.
Tim NZ8J