Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | HB-1A by BD4RG Help

Reviews Summary for HB-1A by BD4RG
HB-1A by BD4RG Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $about US$260
Description: 3 band portable qrp transceiver with SWL capabilities

You can write your own review of the HB-1A by BD4RG.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 17:55 Send this review to a friend
This QRP rig is more then a *5*  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was very lucky and purchased an almost brand new HB1B.
I have been using it with the Super Hustler mobile set up and on the good days I work a lot of stations.
I always get 559 to 579 reports.
I worked Netherlands and Ireland and for a mobile set up and 5 watts,you just can't beat it.
I have the OK to put any antenna up in a historic area as long as I keep away from the building so I see there is a large A frame roof supported with large poles and they said I can use that also when it's raining.
So I looked at all those tall trees and if I can get a dipole up to 50 feet then that HB1B will sound like a KW because with the mobile setup I am even impressed as to how well others hear it.
I also have the Ten-Tec 2 band and it works just as well.
These out of the box ready to go gets an 5+ A1 from me.
BOB
AF2Q

WU0R Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2012 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my HB1A used from a fellow off Ebay. Didn't have success buying the new HB1B and for the $ difference, the only real differential is the addition of 75 meters on the B. Seems to work fine, manual is a bit thin but otherwise, no real complaints. Somewhat intuitive to use and a few functions will require familiarity with the "instruction sheet".

EX_W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2012 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Quality QRP Tranceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 2 band version Youkits HB1A from Canada, similar to the Ten Tec R4020. I previously received two HB1B 4 band units from China that were both defective so I was a bit apprehensive. This is one nice little radio. Full of features, 4 watts output and a great sounding receiver. A fun qrp rig to operate in such a small package with a full digital display. For the price and features, this radio is a great value for a quality qrp transceiver.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2012 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Another 5+++ RIG  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I first had the 3 band but for some reason power dropped down on 20 meters after a 30 second key down.
So I let that go then went to Ten Tec and picked up the 2 band rig.
Compared to the PFR3 the band width seems a bit wider and that's going by my ears.
Indoors the RX seems more prone to pick up the QRM from the building and that seems louder.
But out in the car,with my mobile Super Hustler antenna the rig worked like a dream,Beautiful display,built in keyer and CW that sounded great with the ear buds that I use.
My 1st qso with this rig was with a VE3 ham just above NY State line and looking up the call it was just under 1,000 miles.
Not bad at all with internal batteries and 4 watts showing.
I then switched to 20 meters,changed the antenna coil,resonated the antenna so no tuner was needed and this time I worked another VE ham,but this guy MIKE was in VE7 land.
He was just so impressed and I even worked him through some other ham who was right on frequency and Mike said he is always running a KW an just could not believe my 5 watts was heard so well.
Don't ask me what rig I would let go the PFR3 or the HB1A because their both fantastic rigs.
Now all three of my KX3 rigs are collecting dust:-)

AE3T Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2010 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Great fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this direct from China on E Bay and received it 4 days later! I experience two minor problems, lock up in Tx mode which appears to be SWR related, but even with a good match of 1.4:1 this lock up occurs at times. Just have to cycle power to clear. The other problem is loss of Rx sensitivity at times.

Overall this radio works great and I have already logged over 100 QSO's. I would like to have a CW filter width of 250Hz, but can operate well at 400Hz. Fun to operate and a very good value for the price.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2010 23:59 Send this review to a friend
BIG BANG FOR A SMALL RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my rig used.
It seemed to be built well but I had a defective trimmer cap for the adjustment on the final.
I then spotted where the thin wires to ground out the crystals were not there but the rig seemed OK.
I listened a lot then one day I worked France twice and later I worked a ham in the Netherlands and tonight I worked I1MMR in italy with a 12 volt external battery and my indoor three foot MAG LOOP.
He was right on 7.020.80 and I answered his CW and he came right back.
I never had to touch the RIT at all during our QSO.
I found the rig to be very small and pack a big punch
Support from Yimin and BU XIANZHI to be EXCELLENT especially when I purchased the rig used.
The rig just takes some getting used to and it's in my go bag at all times.
I rate this a 5 STAR + because the rig does what it's supposed to do and support is EXCELLENT
BOB
AF2Q

DF2AR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP TRX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one abt. 3 weeks ago and I'am very satisfied with this radio for this money.
CW operations are really fun with it (internal keyer, 700 Hz smooth sidetone, clear display and easy menu functions), 5 w output on 40, 30 and 20 m with 13.8 V.
SSB receiption is not very good understandable, but I do not use this function.
A very recommendable rig for cw ops.
73 de JUL

DK6JK Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2010 00:44 Send this review to a friend
surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one for 150,-, for the money I got a rig that is perfect for outdoor, qrp, qsk, easy handling, internal keyer, attenuator,

PD9W Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2010 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice QRP CW Transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently (May) purchased my HB-1A on Ebay. Comes from OM Julian G4ILO. Nice little QRP 3 band TX. It does what it is bought for. Despite a poor operation manual rather easy to use. Made already several qso's within Europe on 20m using an indoor Falcon Outback 2000 antenna. Next step will be testing portable use in the field. A nice addition to my beloved Elecraft K1.

73 Nico PD9W QRPARCI#13623 GQRP#12994 BNLQRP#1400

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For what it is, it works well and im happy. Ive used it with a BLT tuner and open wire dipole, Z Match tuner built into a small guted wall power adapter box (like the 12v, etc ones you plug in the wall), a L tuner in a wall power adapter box. Google my callsign and look at the QRP section for these tuners. The L tuner and a 66' wire makes for a very compact station to take outdoors. I simply tune for maximum receive signal, then tweak a bit for maximum power output on the HB-1A LCD. Ive worked stations all over the U.S. and recently Turks/Caicos.

Chuck AF4O