Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | HB-1A by BD4RG Help

Reviews Summary for HB-1A by BD4RG
HB-1A by BD4RG Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $about US$260
Description: 3 band portable qrp transceiver with SWL capabilities

You can write your own review of the HB-1A by BD4RG.

AE3T Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2010 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Great fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this direct from China on E Bay and received it 4 days later! I experience two minor problems, lock up in Tx mode which appears to be SWR related, but even with a good match of 1.4:1 this lock up occurs at times. Just have to cycle power to clear. The other problem is loss of Rx sensitivity at times.

Overall this radio works great and I have already logged over 100 QSO's. I would like to have a CW filter width of 250Hz, but can operate well at 400Hz. Fun to operate and a very good value for the price.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2010 23:59 Send this review to a friend
BIG BANG FOR A SMALL RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my rig used.
It seemed to be built well but I had a defective trimmer cap for the adjustment on the final.
I then spotted where the thin wires to ground out the crystals were not there but the rig seemed OK.
I listened a lot then one day I worked France twice and later I worked a ham in the Netherlands and tonight I worked I1MMR in italy with a 12 volt external battery and my indoor three foot MAG LOOP.
He was right on 7.020.80 and I answered his CW and he came right back.
I never had to touch the RIT at all during our QSO.
I found the rig to be very small and pack a big punch
Support from Yimin and BU XIANZHI to be EXCELLENT especially when I purchased the rig used.
The rig just takes some getting used to and it's in my go bag at all times.
I rate this a 5 STAR + because the rig does what it's supposed to do and support is EXCELLENT
BOB
AF2Q

DF2AR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 23:51 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP TRX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one abt. 3 weeks ago and I'am very satisfied with this radio for this money.
CW operations are really fun with it (internal keyer, 700 Hz smooth sidetone, clear display and easy menu functions), 5 w output on 40, 30 and 20 m with 13.8 V.
SSB receiption is not very good understandable, but I do not use this function.
A very recommendable rig for cw ops.
73 de JUL

DK6JK Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2010 00:44 Send this review to a friend
surprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one for 150,-, for the money I got a rig that is perfect for outdoor, qrp, qsk, easy handling, internal keyer, attenuator,

PD9W Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2010 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice QRP CW Transciever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently (May) purchased my HB-1A on Ebay. Comes from OM Julian G4ILO. Nice little QRP 3 band TX. It does what it is bought for. Despite a poor operation manual rather easy to use. Made already several qso's within Europe on 20m using an indoor Falcon Outback 2000 antenna. Next step will be testing portable use in the field. A nice addition to my beloved Elecraft K1.

73 Nico PD9W QRPARCI#13623 GQRP#12994 BNLQRP#1400

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For what it is, it works well and im happy. Ive used it with a BLT tuner and open wire dipole, Z Match tuner built into a small guted wall power adapter box (like the 12v, etc ones you plug in the wall), a L tuner in a wall power adapter box. Google my callsign and look at the QRP section for these tuners. The L tuner and a 66' wire makes for a very compact station to take outdoors. I simply tune for maximum receive signal, then tweak a bit for maximum power output on the HB-1A LCD. Ive worked stations all over the U.S. and recently Turks/Caicos.

Chuck AF4O

W4AMW Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 15:40 Send this review to a friend
FB for Travel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You already know this is a QRP CW rig for 40, 30 and 20 Meters. It is very easy to setup, has a very bright display, and is a great throw-in-the-suitcase rig for trips that are designed for purposes other than Ham Radio. It is about the size of a large paperback. It runs off internal AA batteries or an outboard power supply (like a small 2.5 amp gel cell). It does NOT have an internal SWR meter so take a resonant antenna along (a good idea anyway especially with QRP). Most tuners will be at least twice the size of the rig. I have received good reports from any strong station I have called. I prefer to use a bug but the rig also has an internal no-frills keyer as well as straight key capability. My portable bug is a Palm Mini Paddle with the Electronic Bug Attachment. It's tiny and goes nicely with the rig. For my casual portable operating I prefer this minimalist rig over my old FT-817 (I never used the microphone anyway). Your style might be different. Don't be concerned about all the things this rig DOESN'T do. Get it for what it does do and have fun. That's my style.
72 DE W4AMW

N1VW Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 03:17 Send this review to a friend
Really Neat Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this little qrp rig after reading reviews on this website and good advice from a ham contact in England who owns one. I ordered the rig from Ebay. It arrived ten days later in good condition. I downloaded a manual in English off the internet.

This rig performs. It is solidly built, compact, works off of internal AA batteries or an external source (I use a 12V, 2.9 amp wall wart). The CW signal is clean. The receiver is good enough to pick out a weak signal. The digital frequency display is large and easy to read.

I'm very happy with this rig. Have made contacts all across the U.S. with it on 5 watts with an external tuner and a dipole antenna. All this for around $200.

N1RX Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2009 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money  Time owned: months
I purchased one of these when a limited run of kits was offered on eBay at the beginning of Oct '09. This was a full kit, requiring the builder to mount all the SMD devices, etc. At the time the kits were shipped, the building documentation was somewhere between sketchy and non-existant. Still, I enjoy a good challenge. A number of kit buyers joined a Wiki, started by Anders, SM0HPL. The idea was to pool our experiences and help each other get them built and working.

I was able to get mine built and working, with virtually no trouble. In part, this was due to another builder "blazing the trail" and finding things to watch for first. Let your buddy walk ahead and fall in the hole... After building mine, I was immediately able to make contacts with the rig, and do some SWLing.

A post by DM2TA to the Wiki indicated that he had some trouble getting his to work at all, and made some measurements that indicated the preselector was not working properly. As for his statement about the PIC crystal not working until he removed the caps, I can only guess that the wrong caps, or a faulty crystal may have been included in his kit(s). I know of no other builders who have had this problem.

I -did- perform some VNA measurements on the preselector circuits as Andre mentioned. My findings agreed with him, that the input circuit does not tune well below about 6.5 MHz. Even still, I AM able to hear down there reasonably well. I have monitored Gander Air Traffic Control, and other transmissions. The RX sensitivity may be lower than it could be, but it works. On the 40, 30 and 20M ham bands, it works well. RX sensitivity is well below 1 uV. it also receives well on the other freqs from 6 to 16 MHz.

In summary, I bought the rig as a low-cost 3 band HF QRP rig, with wide band RX capability. It -IS- that. The radio design can be improved, and it has already been revised a few times during it's brief lifetime. The built in CW keyer could use a firmware upgrade. I expect that BD4RG will continue to refine the design. I find this rig a very good value for the money.
-Bruce N1RX

ARRLBOOSTER Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2009 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Buy This Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the money you can't beat this little powerhouse. Too bad some disparage it for no valid reason. I love this rig, as do most of the owners. Very innovative and just a blast to use.