Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Eico 717 Vacuum Tube Electronic Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for Eico 717 Vacuum Tube Electronic Keyer
Eico 717 Vacuum Tube Electronic Keyer Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $50.00 (Kit, 1967)
Description: Vacuum Tube Keyer from 1960s that included variable sidetone volume and pitch. Review is in July 1967 QST.

You can write your own review of the Eico 717 Vacuum Tube Electronic Keyer.

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2010 04:40 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful TOOB Keyer...!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 717 was acquired just last week from a fellow "VE3"-type Ham. What a wonderful machine! It really complements my Drake Twins here ("Studio 'B'"), and is a lot of fun to use.

I had initial mis-givings about two of the tubes used in the circuit---i.e. the ECH81---perhaps falling into the category of "unobtainium" (apologies to "Avatar", Hi), but a bit of research reveals that there are TWO possible candidates that should serve admirably as direct plug-in substitutes.

Other keyers from the era of the 717---most notably the 9TO series from Hallicrafters---seem to have eclipsed the popularity of all other such vintage units...but the EICO is a true gem that can proudly hold its own with that company. It's a real find, and deserving of a lot of respect from CW aficiandos of every stripe, IMHO...!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

K0RO Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great for its time...and later!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the keyer up with which I grew in the 1970s, and I had no idea how good it was. The variable pitch for the sidetone was a treat. It never occurred to me as a punk that not all keyers had such features. Our keyer was cosmetically modified with black and that mustard-brown plastic to match our Galaxy GT-550 set up. We ran it with a Viborplex paddle, and it is still runing strong in the shack of my brother, N2JT.