Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-250R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-250R
Yaesu FT-250R Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $160.00
Description: A 2 Meter 5 Watt transceiver made by Yaesu. No details on Yaesu.com go to http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5250.html for more info.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-250R.

W5RLA Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Nothing Fancy, but it is what it is.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As you already know, it's just a 2 meter HT and very inexpensive at that. That being said, it comes with a rapid charger which will go from no charge to done in 3 hours (awesome when compared to most HT's out of the box at 8-12 hour charge time.) It comes with Yaesu's FNB-83 battery which is compatible with a few of their other radio's (which I also own) and has outstanding battery life.

Other things that I love about this radio:
- Very solid feel, not that I would intend to, but not afraid to drop it.
- Audio reports on the repeaters and simplex have been outstanding when compared to other HT's (especially the submersible types which this is not.)
- Seems to hit repeaters farther out than most other HT's with the stock antenna.
- Backlight isn't the greatest, but does just fine when you need to see the keypad and LCD display in the dark.
- Menu system is logical, doesn't require much getting used to at all if you've used other Yaesu radios.
- Speaker is loud enough for me to hear without an external speaker/mic while clipped to my belt

If you are looking for a radio with all the bells and whistles and multiple bands, this is not the radio for you. If you want something simple for 2 meter use that gets the job done, has great battery life, and doesn't break the bank, pick up one of these! You will not regret having it, even if just for a back up.

KD8JBS Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2011 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Ole Faithful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought for $95 from a Ham and I love my 250R but I also have a VX150 I also like the charger thats included too! I'd buy this handi if you want a good radio

KD0CPH Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2010 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did a lot of research here and from other hams before purchasing this great radio. This radio has exceeded all my expectations. i am surprised at the sensitivity at such a small price.i actually like the screen location as you can see it while on your belt.others have complained about the small buttons but ihave no problem with them . i like the style and features and the ease of use of the menus.Fit and finish are high quality. i get great comments on the audio and hit repeaters over 30 miles away.For the price you wont regret buying this yaesu, Can't ask for much more, great job yaesu.

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Great hand held  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Before I bought the FT-250R I had been relying on Chinese hand helds for my portable work. Earlier this year I decided to buy a Yaesu hand held as I wanted to standardise on the brand of rigs I operated and so chose the FT-250R based on price and the great reviews I read on this site.

Well, I have not been disappointed with my decision. This rig 'feels' right in my hand. I like its solid construction and the fit of the battery, which doesn't move about in its mount like my Chinese one does. The knobs have a nice feel to them as well. I don't mind the display and the small touch pads. No problem there for me. It's rather how the rig operates that interests me and here this little beauty comes up tops. I only get raving reports back from stations I work. So for me this rig is tops.

KA0ZIS Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this radio for a little over 6 months now, I've put it through the paces, dropped it, got it wet, overheated it etc. and it's still working great. My HT is on 24 hours a day (except for the time to recharge the battery.) I plan to get the software to program it in the near future. For the price and function, I would recommend this HT to anyone looking for a great rig that's tough and is a good bargain.

KATEKEBO Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
all-in-one: the good, the bad and the ugly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with most of the reviewers below, but there a few things about this radio that I just can't give it 5 stars rating.

First, it is ugliest radio I have ever seen. Whoever designed the exterior of this radio should be fired. OK, HT's are not intended to be beauty constest participants, but why not make it at least a little bit aesthetically pleasant?

Second, why not re-use the key-pad from one of other Yaesu HT's? The key are ridiculously small and completely lack any tactile feedback.

Third, the backlight is useless. The screen backlight is so dim that you can't see anything. And the key-pad backlight is so uneven that it doesn't help at all. Also, the shifted functions are printed on the body of the radio and of course are not illuminated so it is impossible to read them in darkness anyway. Why not make the keys a little bit bigger and print both icons on the key (basic and shifted function) like Icom does?

Fourth, the screen is so small that it's hard to read. I also dislike the position. You can't see it well while typing and combined with the tine keys it makes typing difficult.

The only thing that saves this radio from the ergonomic point of view is the fact that Yaesu has not given in to the temptation of saving some money and leaving the radio with only one, multi-function rotary control. The independent controls for volume, squelch and tunning are much better than a single multi-function knob that required shifting to perform different functions. Well done.

So from the functionality, ergonomics (and appearance) I give this radio only 3 stars (and I'm being generous).

Now, performance-wise this radio is a solid 5 stars. The sensitivity is great, selectivity seems to be OK, the audio is clear, and it seems to transmit well with the stock antenna (I can "hit" repeaters that are even beyond the range of my FT-817).

So, considering the performance, this radio is a 4. I actually like a lot how it performs on the air, but Yaesu could have done a better job on the user-friendliness side.

It is good value-for-money and a solid performer. Recommended (if you can survive the eyesore).

W7OXB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2010 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Use, Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio works great for an entry level which is just what I wanted. I had owned the VX-7R, a great multi band hand held radio but since I used it infrequently I could never remember how to navigate through all the menus and settings. And since I used 2M 95% of the time, went the FT-250 route. $114 is a super price, available through, just shop around. Easy to set up, squelch control adjustment is with a knob, not buttons and menus. Easy switching betweens VFO's and back to memory recall. And it is heavy duty, feels like the real deal, not plastic. Only drawback is small display and keys, but otherwise perfect for my needs.

W6AMR Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yaesu did a good job of upgrading this one.
I like the offset display (I can see it on my belt)without twisting the radio outward.
I bought this for $130.00 out the door from AES.
I programmed the radio in one hour by the key pad.
I like the size which is just below my Yaesu VX-177.
The stock antenna is good for local repeaters. I have a Smiley for distant work.
The improved audio - much better.
I don't have to worry about water with this radio.
This is my 3rd Yaesu H/T.
I liked the idea of a standard desktop charger as included in the box.
I am once again a happy customer of Vertex.

K2SJP Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2010 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great little Handi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back from Dayton where i won this FT-250-R. Upon setting it up i found it to be a great little 2 meter Handi. Great receiver audio & easy to set up. Wow was i lucky.

N7WE Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2010 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Tough and Does The Job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought it for a inexpensive second HT intending to use it as a dedicated APRS w/ TT3+. Paid about $110 and it came with a drop-in quick charger that also handles my FT-60 (bonus). Uses the same AA case (second bonus) and will do 5W on AA's just like the 60. Good audio - TX & RX. Find I'm using it as much for 2m as my FT-60.

OK, the LCD and buttons are small and we all know about the spkrmike jack, but it gets the job done and is tough. Dropped it out of a golf cart onto pavement at about 15 MPH during a public service event and watched it bounce along side the cart! You might not want to test it this way, but it still works FB with only a small road rash on the corner of the case. Lucky? Definitely, but also great solid design. TOUGH!

For the price, I doubt you can do better. I don't recommend an HT for a first radio, but if you can get by with just 2m, I'd definitely recommend the FT 250 for a first HT.

Rick - N7WE