Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-270R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-270R
Yaesu FT-270R Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $144.95
Description: Yaesu FT270R

The Yaesu FT-270R is a rugged, compact, high-performance FM mono-band 2 meter handheld delivering up to 5 watts of RF power.

Receive coverage is from 136 to 174 MHz and the memory systems boasts 200 memory channels. CTCSS and DCS encode/decode are included with split tone capability. The FT-270R is ultra rugged and submersible to IPX7 specifications (3 feet for 3 minutes). It has a strong 800mW audio amp for noisy environments.

Features:
* Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch
* Submersible to IPX7 Specifications
* Backlit Keypad & LCD
* Internet Key for Access to WIRES™

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-270R.

DV2AWN Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, great buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a bunch of china HT, i finally decided to buy a 'branded' HT and got this Yaesu FT270R/E. The price was very attractive and the built quality is very professional... sort of what one can expect from this reputable brand. It feels good on my hand, the ergonomics is just right, not too small nor too big. The weight is also just right. When you hold it you know that you have a quality radio on your hand. The only gripes i have about it (hence only 4 on my rating) is the belt clip. I wish Yaesu could have installed a better quality belt clip than this clip type belt clip on the FT270. Also, my radio did not come with a desktop cradle/charger so i am now looking for one online. Overall, i would recommend this radio in a heartbeat.

AA7LX Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2016 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Deal HT deal from DX Engineering !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought FT-270R from DX Engineering. For 139.95 what a deal! Includes: Duck Antenna, AC Charging Cradle, AC Charger Adapter, Belt Clip, Battery. I added for an additional cost: Diamond RH-77CA 15" Whip, Speaker/Microphone MH-57, Diamond C104SMA antenna adapter cable for connecting to a 2m base Antenna, YSU-CN-3 BNC to SMA connect for BNC HT Antenna, and YSU-E-DC-6 DC Cable with plug for charging Battery from any DC12v Supply. Radio has SMS Female--I recommend adding the YSU-CN-3 it's solid connection for (any) BNC HT Antenna.
OK-- I tested the Speaker vs. the Hand Speaker/Microphone for volume and voice distance: No Problems! Perhaps Yaesu has fixed these issues other reviewers had reported. Yes, the DTMF Decoder instructions are incorrect however, as noted otherwise here in the Reviews, the opposite page is correct: just correct the page instructions! Don't know about the Enhanced Sub-Tone Paging, didn't try that--probably never need it! From my experiences with the FT-270--I don't recommend doing the mod for the HT Speaker. Everybody heard me fine--HT Speaker vs. the Speaker/Microphone; Volume real loud and understandable! Good reports with the duck vs. the 15" Diamond whip. I did my Homework before purchasing this Unit! Two issues I found possibly could be a problem in the future: 1) The Clip that holds the Battery in place on the HT. It's made out of Plastic(?). and, 2) if, you add on the YSU-MH-57A4B Speaker/Microphone it should be attached somewhere on the FT-270 otherwise it falls and hangs by the coiled cord. I attached mine to the Belt clip and all was fine(if, you don't use the belt clip!). Recommend purchasing a CT-91 Adapter Cord if you add headset--make sure you order the Headset for ICOM--which has two pin males for the Yaesu CT-91 adapter cord. Otherwise, no problems with making plug/cable connections. Previously owned a Yeasu FT-411E so I found the book understandable, otherwise, it was easy to program--you must read the Manual! Recommend this HT for starting out as Technician -or- if you need a 2m Unit.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2016 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My ONLY negative is the muffled & weak Tx audio right out of the box due to the waterproofing membrane, however the issue was fixable and once "fixed" it has very nice TX audio! There are 3 choices: 1) take the case apart and remove membrane from mic element. 2) Access "Hidden" Tech Menu and adjust? (Didn't work for me). 3) Make hole in mic membrane from outside of case, lightly rubbing membrane openDO NOT POKE A HOLE! Once the membrane is ruptured, the radio is no longer submersible.

The receiver on this HT is just awesome and there are many advanced features usually found on more expensive models.

I may buy a 2nd one.....

KM4LKN Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2015 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A sturdy good quality HT just for the 2m band. I purchased the SW with cable, the 17in HT antenna and now also have a $34 Ed Fong (in the pipe) J-pole (DBJ-1) in the attic, which improves reach for transmitting on 5W, the Ed Fong works super.

Microphone Gain. Do not take this HT apart or puncture the membrane of the mic! There is a hidden service menu to set the gain, which in my case the setting wasn't very high. Search for it on Google...
(I believe this is also mentioned here in the FT-270r reviews somewhere)

KC2OHP Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 19:50 Send this review to a friend
pretty perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't list all the reasons why I personally love it, just know that it's the only purchase I can remember making that I never once had any regret with. There is nothing I can imagine I would change about it(other than the stupid "quick-draw" belt clip) and never had any problem with it whatsoever. I've had it for about 5 years. I must add that I'm particularly impressed with the NI-MH battery pack that seems to hold a charge forever. I can not use it for a month, then turn it on and use it for a couple days before charging it. I also don't see why some people are complaining about the mic. Mine sounds totally legible and of a normal volume level for an HT. I know there are talkies with louder RX audio out there but the FT-270R's is perfectly fine. Are these people talking three feet away from the thing like it's a desk mic??

Anyway, if you're looking for an inexpensive, quality 2 meter HT, this is the one.

KJ6MEV Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2013 20:12 Send this review to a friend
solid  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With 5 watts I can hit some local repeaters
with the rubber duck. In the car with a 1/4 wave
mag mount it does a lot better. At home it's my
base with a Diamond CP-22 and is spectacular
on receive. I can't speak to everyone I hear
but with 5 watts I can't expect everything. It's
not too complicated but still has way more features than I will ever need. The build quality is super. It's been dropped hard without
a problem. I'm thinking about running an amp with
this and continuing to use it as my permanent base station because I like it that much.

HP1GCM Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Job HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the best ht you could buy to work and also play.
Great battery life, great audio, easy and fast to use.
The belt clip works great with it's size and weight.
It's submersible, and well build!
I'm a ham and a public safety volunteer, i bought it for both. But for work it can't be beat.
I also own a vx-7r I've tried to use it in the field (not the same), although it does a LOT more i think the 270 it's better in doing that. It's like having a vertex public safety (more expensive) radio.
I love it. I almost sold it, but it will stay with me now :D
73's!

KJ4VRR Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio in 2010 as my first radio after it was recommended by another Ham. I have been very pleased with the quality and performance of this radio. I bought another smaller HT last year but I still return to this one as my primary radio. This HT has great audio quality and is very simple to program, as are most Yaesu radios. It is a great starter radio for anyone getting into Ham Radio or a good one for any Ham to use.

KD0QLQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to say I have been impressed with the operation of the FT-270. It has worked very well. Needs a larger antenna, but that's what I would expect from any HT. The duck included works, but is small.

One of my favorite features is that it's waterproof (3 ft submersible for 30 min). Now, I hope not to have to test that, but I purchased it to have on me on our farm, and for camping / fishing trips. Water hazards abound both on the farm and on these trips, the extra protection from dropping in puddles, stock tanks, etc is good piece of mind.

Its well made. Yes, for more money I could have had Li Ion battery, dual band, etc - but the value for what I paid is excellent.

Tip: I got an inexpensive SMA - BNC adapter, had to file down the diameter slightly to fit the o-ring to maintain the water seal, but once done it fits well and lets me quickly fit a BNC antenna or cable when I need it.

The 4 prong thread base plug for speaker/mic or headsets is not the easiest thing in the world, but I don't know what else would have been both simple and water tight.

KD5UDE Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2011 19:59 Send this review to a friend
excellent tough radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
buy it excellent tough and will get the job done trust me i have put it through hell! and it just kept on going!! buy one!