Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-270R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-270R
Yaesu FT-270R Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $144.95
Description: Yaesu FT270R

The Yaesu FT-270R is a rugged, compact, high-performance FM mono-band 2 meter handheld delivering up to 5 watts of RF power.

Receive coverage is from 136 to 174 MHz and the memory systems boasts 200 memory channels. CTCSS and DCS encode/decode are included with split tone capability. The FT-270R is ultra rugged and submersible to IPX7 specifications (3 feet for 3 minutes). It has a strong 800mW audio amp for noisy environments.

* 5 watts RF Output
* 200 Memories
* DTMF Keypad
* Keypad frequency entry
* Enhanced Paging and Code Squelch
* Submersible to IPX7 Specifications
* Backlit Keypad & LCD
* Internet Key for Access to WIRES™

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-270R.

VE6JMK Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2010 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Work Around?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the FT-270r daily with a speaker mic. I've asked the receiving parties about audio and they say it is excellent. Therefore I'm going to suggest that for those that may not want to tear down their radio, a speaker mic may be the solution.
KC4CQS Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2010 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Made a big difference!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well in my previous review I stated that I would not modify the waterproof Mic.cover on the inside of the radio. Well I did it and what a difference. Good clean audio that everyone can hear. If you have steady hands and not afraid of taking the rig apart to get the weather sheild off the microphone cover it will be worth it. Upon inspection of the cover after removal it's amazing that any sound gets through it at all! This Mic. mod also is the same for the FT-170 also but beware that this is a "do at your own risk mod." as are all modifications so beware! The rig may not be waterproof but you will at least be complimented with good audio reports.
K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2010 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Do the mic mod  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think I gave this radio a 5 in my first review, but it is even better now that I opened it up and removed the "membrane" that waterproofs the microphone. I got tired of everyone telling me how much better my other radios sounded, and since I really, really like the FT-270R in every other way...I followed the instructions for disassembling the VX-170R and removed the cover over the mic. It was extremely simple to do and has rewarded me with clear, loud transmit audio. Now it is my most used radio. It is no longer submersible, but it is still quite resistant to rain and splashes, and that's OK with me.
WB6BJM Rating: 2/5 Jun 11, 2010 11:26 Send this review to a friend
They could of done better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
They could of done much better....

You have to know how to use this radio....

Besides the LOUSY / WEAK mic audio due to the cover that has to be removed....

THE DTMF DECODER does not work because the instructions in the book are wrong... they have not corrected it. Get by that and the DTMF DECODER will work.

The CLIP... STINKS... it is a CLIP if you want to pretend you have a gun.

Why they did that I will never never know.

Other than that.. it is a GREAT RADIO !!!!
It is the little things that mess it up.
KC4CQS Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2010 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice Quality HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Agreed the mic. audio is low but if you go into the service menu which is the same for the VX-170 which btw is detailed in the last review of that particular HT very well,the audio can be brought up so you can back away from the mic. but beware that you do not turn it up all the way because it could start picking up background noise. Proceed with caution. Write down the original settings of the service menu as a reference! It will read A3 Dev. and mine was set on DEV.21H & it will adjust much higher. This problem is easily fixed. I would not take this HT apart and take the waterproof membrain out. This is a water resistant HT and I myself would keep it that way. 73!
KC6KIM Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice HT, ((error in manual)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Everybody,

I like this HT. The low audio stories are not fair, this is sold as a "submersible"- so it has to have a seal. Solution, CLOSE TALK THE MIC. Result, good audio. If you are in a noisy environment (crowds, background, etc) it has noise canceling properties- good!

I did find an error on both page 40 & 41 as related to memory scanning (pg40) & Programmable ( Band Limit) Memory Scan (PMS) (pg41), on line 5, ( BOTH PAGES) the command to start scanning reads:

Now, press and hold in the [MR/MW/SKIP]for one second to initiate...

IT SHOULD READ: Now, press and hold in the [AN]- (which is button 6) for one
second to initiate....

This will work! I tried to follow the instructions TO NO END... and in frustration
dialed till it worked PERSISTENCE!!!.

Programmable memory scan is a great tool in this little box as is the
memory bank scan. Makes a great radio all that much greater.

Anthony A. Andrianos

N1AJB Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2010 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio a month ago when I passed my exam. While it is not the biggest and the best of handheld transceivers, it is a great little product that I would recommend to anyone as a primary or back-up portable.

Many people have noted the TX Audio issue here and I cannot say that I have been able to duplicate it. This makes me wonder if Yaesu fixed the problem, but I have not had any complaints. I also purchased the battery pack and microphone as part of an all in one package. All in all with a few other accessories I walked out of HRO paying a total $210.00. My only real complaint is that the cheaper Ft-250R comes with a rapid charger. I would have like to see that with this radio, but I guess you cannot have everything.

For the first month I used this radio mobile on a Comet Quarter Wave Mag Mount and did quite well. I did end up buying a FT-1900 for mobile use, but the FT-270 did okay in a pinch. Great radio for the money. I would buy again.
KE6L Rating: 3/5 May 2, 2010 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Well...? Has its issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, bought it yesterday, so these are first impressions.

GOOD: Nicely built. SMA is OK with me - easy to make a waterproof SMA antenna connection, and it is sold as a waterproof radio! Good RX audio - punchy and nice frequency response. Nice display and excellent backlighting that you can control. Easy to program - a tad bit like my FT-411E. Low price ($129 @ HRO).

RF squelch operation seems difficult. Tough to get the squelch to break when I want, and stay quiet later. I notice that it is sensitive to stray RF. For example, fluorescent lights, computer monitors etc break the squelch. My FT-411E stays quiet. Maybe it is an unlucky IF frequency?

LOW TX AUDIO! It really is low, and I tested it several ways. Simplex, thru a repeater. HT >> HT. It is way lower than my 411E and my IC-2200H. 100% of the folks I chatted with said is was low, and when I'd switch to my 411E they said it was way louder. One op said that it would be hard to hear me without cranking up his AF gain in a mobile situation. I have a loud voice, and I was staying close to the mike. So, I read a bunch of reviews, and noticed that some folks claim this radio is really a VX-150. I saw a post for the VX 150 that showed a service menu option for boosting the deviation. It took some small changes, but it actually works with the FT-270R! BUT - the deviation is still low. Now it is kinda low, instead of very low. It still ain't great. If you want to see the modified instructions, goto It does help. Of course, use at your own risk. I'm sure there are other settings you could screw-up. I'm going to use it on the air today with my deviation set higher, but if I continue to get complaints, I will return it.
KI5XZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Still Happy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After 11 months, I still like the radio and would recommend it.

Like KB6F, I've had trouble with the external mic/spkr connector from the beginning - but until just now when I read the KB6F review, I thought it was just my personal perception.

When I bought the radio and a CT-91(from AES in Milwaukee), I also bought an HC-6Y7 mic/headset (from I could not get either to screw into or work with my FT270R. Upon inspection, the case threads and the electrical connector did not appear to be coaxial. AES refused to exchange the radio (but offered to send it to Yaesu for me if I sent it to them - at my expense).

I then bought the Yaesu MH-57 waterproof spkr/mic and found it to have the same problem, even though it (and the CT-91) would screw very easily into my VX-177. In frustration, I sent the radio back to Yaesu for them to repair this. Yaesu told me, quite politely, that they could find nothing wrong with the connector and returned my FT-270R as it was.

With uncomfortable torque, I can get the MH-57 to screw far enough in to work on the FT-270R. It still fits easily into the VX-177. refunded my money for a <$20 spkr/mic which probably wasn't defective. AES wouldn't exchange a $150 radio with a clear mechanical defect. Live and learn.

I often use the radio with a mobile antenna, but I find the duckie to be acceptable in the city with repeaters up to 15 miles away. The Tx audio gets good reports, but the MH-57 gets better reports.

To me, the radio is every bit as solid and as immune to interference as my Motorola HTs, but it has the benefit of being easily programmable. In spite of the connector issue, I would buy the FT-270R again for its build, receiver performance and rx audio.
KB6F Rating: 1/5 Mar 5, 2010 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Radio works. but.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio works fine, but two things absolutely stink on this one. The duck antenna that comes with it must has all of an inch of wire in it. Very poor reception with it. I take the duck of an old FT-416 HT and the signal easily doubles. Even using the needed sma to bnc adapter. The 12 year old duck is shorther too.

Secondly, the speaker/mic jack is a failure of technical beauty. Very poor. The first speaker mic I bought ( Yeasu MH-73AB )would not key the radio. I took it back to the dealer who very kindly swapped one that would key. I since have bought the Yaesu VC-24 headset, it never keys the radio and just screws up the radio's logic as long as it is plugged in. Also bought the earpiece / mic too, it does not work at all.

The radio will go back tomorrow ( 10 days old) and I will try another if the dealer will swap it. This one's jack stinks. The radio works fine by itself and is indeed very easy to program. If you have never plugged anything into that jack, you might try it so when you need it you know it works.

I also agree that the belt-clip is not optimal. Old-style generic cell-phone design. One other thing that surprised me. If you have the wall charger that comes with it plugged in when you key it, the radio power cycles and never keys. Seems the charger can not hadle the draw. Would be nice if it said that somewhere.

If I get another and it works as advertized, I will update this reveiw.

Very dissappointing.