Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Quiet Phone Pro Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Quiet Phone Pro
Heil Quiet Phone Pro Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $ 170.00 headset 85.00
Description: An innovative headset utilizing the latest generation of ANC circuitry in a comfortable headset that excels in listening to music or perfect for the amateur radio phone or CW operator. Comes with two detachable 6' cables. A very flexible straight and a coil cable. A sturdy brass insert allows one of the four MB-1 microhone booms to be attached to the Quiet Phone Pro turning it into a professional noise canceling boomset. You choose the correct microphone element that matches your particular needs - various amateur radio transceivers, computer inputs for VOIP, podcasting or commercial broadcasting. Frequency response is 20Hz to 20,000 Hz., 32 ohms with sensitivity of 104 dB/mW. Noise canceling range is 40Hz.- 1 kHz. with maximum reduction level of -20dB.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Quiet Phone Pro.

W6RS Rating: 1/5 Jun 4, 2013 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Not usual Heil quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased these at the Vislaia DX Convention two years ago. The first set would do nothing but squeal which was confirmed by K7JA, who was then employed by Heil. They were replaced. The next set, unless perfectly adjusted on ears would also squeal but were operational. Transmit audio was very good, as usual with Heil products. Now two years later the transmit audio is no longer operating and the whole headset now resides in a desk drawer. I am back to using my reliable 10 year old Heil headset which has never given me any trouble. IMHO, this was an poorly produced, badly engineered, sad offering from the usually amazing Heil company. Sorry Bob, but this was not up to your usual well engineered products.

KG8CO Rating: 1/5 Jan 9, 2012 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Not Long Lasting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this headset about 2 years ago. They did work fine, when they worked, however, they are now squealing and are unusable. I called Heil today, and the tech support person offered to send some replacement ear pads, and mentioned that may cure problem, but wasn't sure.
While talking with tech support at Heil, I could tell I wasn't the only one who had called with this issue. This review is a little late as these headsets are no longer on the market. But just in case you happen to find a set for sale, I wouldn't purchase them.

AJ9C Rating: 1/5 Apr 20, 2011 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Squeals  Time owned: more than 12 months
The third set I have still has the squeal and its loud. The noise canceling feature can not be used. Basically this headset is out of service at my QTH. You may get a good set who knows. For close to $200 for a phone mic set I'd stay away.

KD5SQR Rating: 2/5 Jun 28, 2010 14:26 Send this review to a friend
quality definately needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The good: The sound canceling works wonderfully. They fit quite comfortably to me. The MB 1-4 element mic was fantastic for field day. I'd get a response the first time almost every time that I answered CQ. I'd rate the mic a 5 on its own. They are compact and easy to store. Versatile, they work with many different rigs with the inexpensive adapter.
The bad: The connections, volume control, noise canceling switch, and boom mic mount are all on the same side which makes it somewhat cumbersome to make adjustments. The battery door fits poorly at best and pops off easily when you don't want it to. The ear pads are a nightmare. Very difficult to get on and they refuse to stay on. I found that double sided tape is a quick fix for this, but have not put it to use since field day. The phase shift feature would also be a nice feature to add.
The bottom line: Would I recommend the quiet phone pro? Not without the aforementioned caveats. Would I give mine up? Nope!

N0UY Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2010 19:09 Send this review to a friend
UPDATED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to my previous posting. I since have received the updated version of the foam ear pads from Bob Heil. First of all he assured me they would solve my issues, which they did very well. I am back to loving these head phones like I did in the begining. Bob said the new pads should continue to give good sevice do to their improved memory ability and maintain the proper cavity spacing required for the proper function.

Thanks for the good service and product.
Ray

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2010 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice Phones For The Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a set about one month ago. Having read several of the user complaints, here's what I did to alleviate them...

Yes, the headset does require ONE AAA battery in the R/H ear phone. Instead of going to COSTCO to get alkaline batteries, go to Wal-Mart and get 4 EverReady Ni-Cad AAA rechargables. The come 4 in a pack for $12; you'll have charged batteries 'till you die.

I also purchased the "iC" boom mic for my 775DSP. I have not dialed everything in just yet, but preliminary [default] menu settings have rendered good audio reports.

I have been experiencing some RF in the phones on 40 and 20 meters. Probably not the phones fault; I just need to do some work on them with some ferrite beads and/or a small choke on the feed line.

A previous poster said that the headband was too tight and hurt the ears after and hour or so of use. Remedy?

See where the headband enters the "Heil" ear cup supports; the plastic supports? Well, take the phones off and look at the top of the headband. See where the metal headband is visible?

Take your left and right hand thumbs and place them on visible part of the metal band; cup the headband with the 4 fingers of each hand.

Gently, press down with your thumbs while simultaneously pulling the ear cup supports OUTWARD with your fingers. Stretch the metal band, BUT NOT TOO MUCH! Do a little at a time; you don't want to bend the band too much OR break the ear cups.

Do a little at a time and eventually you'll come to the point where the ear cups will sit gently on your ears and cover them comfortably .

Better now!?

You can thank me later...

REMOVED_BY_EHAM_K7YLE Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2010 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Good sound, bad fit.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had these head phones for a couple of days so far. Everything works on them and haven't had any problems with ear pads yet. The mic also works fine. They sound great on the HF radio I have or in playing music on them. Turning on the noise canceling makes all the difference in the world. I can hear people that I can't hear on a regular set of head phones (computer ones I use).

Now for the bad. These head phones are small. They don't totally cover my ears and they are tight on my head. After about 1/2 hour to an hour my ears really hurt from them pressing in on them. Part of this is because of the tight spring, the other part is because they are too small. I've used other over the ear head phones and not had this problem.

AJ9C Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2010 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Quality an issue?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had two of the headsets. The first was bought at Dayton just as the QPP came out. They worked fine and had good audio quality. The problem of the ear pads coming off was irritating but Heil has fixed that. Just call and ask for the adhesive retro fit pads, free of charge. I sold the first set while I was visiting in PZ and bought a replacement set when I got back. The newer models seem to be not of the same quality. The second set made a rhythmic ticking/thump noise. Which I suspect was a phasing problem with the mic used for noise cancelling. In addition pushing on the left ear piece to adjust fix produced a squeal and hollow sound in the headphones. To Heil's credit after I sent them in for repair I received a new replacement set. The new ones don't tick/thump but when I went to adjust the feel the squeal is still there along with a hollow sound. Something in production changed from the first run what is now being delivered. They work more or less like the original which is why the 4 rating. If they were exactly like the original except for the better fastened earpads then it would have been a 5.

N3ZC Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2010 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Work Fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine actually work fine..and if you contact Chip at Heil..he'll send you a "fix" for the "earphone pad coming off" problem at no charge (I had it too)....

HNY!
73'..Tom N3ZC

K6BR Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2010 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I suppose I should have learned my lesson from the set of "Pro Set Quiet Phone" I own that have now completely failed.

I decided to write this review after the Ear Pad became detached for the 5th time in two hours of operation. It is very difficult to get the Ear Pad back in place; it basically comes down to extremely poor design. You will certainly know that you have these Head Phones on after an hour of use, they do not come close to covering your ears and they are sprung too tight. My XYL say's I have big ears which may be true, but even for normal ears they would be a bad fit. They are nothing near as comfortable as my old Pro Set Plus.

Another issue is batteries; you better go to Costco and get the large pack of AAA’s. There is no auto turn off battery saver, the only indication they are switched on is a small red LED which is so small it hardly can be seen.

Most companies improve their products when they bring out new models; it seems that Heil is going backwards from the Pro Set Plus which are excellent, but no noise cancelling.

I bought an HC-6 and HC-5 element because I thought it would be fun to try out the HC-6 element. I just got around to connecting it up, you guessed it is DOA, I peaked inside and there is no wire from the element coil to the small circuit board that sits on top of it, also the audio wire from the circuit board to the jack was barely soldered on and came off when I run my finger over it, so much for quality control, it must have been going home time at the factory in China. I guess I will have to eat the 80 bucks for the HC-6 as I bought it from HRO six months ago, I guess I should have made sure it worked when purchased it, my fault, I should have known better.

All in all these Head phones are cheaply made and are of very poor quality compared with other noise cancelling head phones. I gave them a 2 because they eclectically work well and I do like flexible boom attachment, but hate the way microphone cable has to be routed through the center of the coiled head phone cable. I do not understand why the mike cable could not be plugged into the earpiece and make the connection to the coiled head phone cable in the normal way.

I purchase Heil equipment because I feel that I should support a company that supports Ham Radio, but I will be re-thinking that strategy in future if quality and value for money do not improve.

Mike