Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G7 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G7
Alinco DJ-G7 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: Alinco DJ-G7 144MHz 5W / 430MHz 4.5W / 1200MHz 1W
FM Tri-band Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G7.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 07:25 Send this review to a friend
just fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up this radio right after it came out. I flashed the firmware every time there was an upgrade. it works fine. Programming is not all that hard without the software. I find the radio works just as good as any other radio. It works fine in the bands it is designed for. I didnt get it for the wide band receive. I will get a scanner for that

N2LAW Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2014 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Not quite what I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently added the DJ-G7T to my already too-large collection of HTs for precisely four reasons:

1. I really love my DJ-G29T 220/900 MHz HTs (see separate review) and typically travel with one. The DJ-G7T was a logical complement - identical in form and user interface, using the same batteries, charger and accessories, and between the two I would have all 5 bands from 2m to 23cm covered.

2. My only other HT covering 1200 is the idiosyncratic Icom IC-T81A quadbander. One ought to have at least two HTs for any band, right? :-)

3. I like to have a wideband receiver (which the DJ-G29T isn't!) with me when I travel - the DJ-G7T could apparently fill this role so that I would only need the two Alinco HTs.

4. I found one at a very good price.

The G7T's full-duplex capability was intriguing -- the only other 2m/70cm HT I have that can operate full duplex is my ancient Yaesu FT-470. But a number of reviews I read said that desensitization made the DJ-G7T's full duplex essentially useless, at least for satellite work, so that feature wasn't a major factor in my decision.

All in all, after a couple of weeks with the G7T, I am not dissatisfied with its performance as a triband HT. It seems at least as good as my old IC-T81A on 1200, though due to the scarcity of 23cm repeaters here in the northeast I haven't had a repeater QSO with it yet, just tested it out on simplex with the T81. I *can* get into the one 1.2 machine that is within reach of one of my QTHs (my T81A gets in too), but no one has answered my repeated calls yet, so I can't get a real signal report.

Performance on 2m and 70cm seems competent as well. The audio is fantastic, battery life is great and the HT just feels solid and enjoyable to use. I was already used to the slightly quirky user interface from the G29T so I quickly came up to speed with the very similar G7T.

The really big disappointment for me is that the DJ-G7 isn't very good -- honestly, is lousy -- as a wideband receiver. It's got birdies and image signals all over the place -- scanning is an exercise in futility. Ham repeaters and broadcast FM signals in the AM air band -- public safety FM in the 6m band -- it's a mess.

And, while it's advertised as continuously tuning 0.5-1300 continuously and supporting AM, FM, and WFM, the truth is less impressive. It supports only WFM in what it thinks of as the VHF/UHF broadcast bands -- this means for example that in large metro areas such as NYC where frequencies in the 470-480MHz range (UHF TV channels 14 and 15) are used for public safety radio, the DJ-G7T will not let you listen to those frequencies, because it insists on switching to WFM mode (and channelizing the VFO). Similarly, forget bringing this to Europe and listening in on the 4M (70MHz) amateur band -- the DJ-G7T will receive WFM only there. WFM only in the 800Mhz band too. This is so short-sighted that I can barely believe that Alinco messed this up so badly. WFM is essentially useless in the television bands anyway now that TV has moved to digital -- something that was already a done deal by the time the DJ-G7 was introduced. And as spectrum is reallocated from the VHF and UHF TV broadcast bands to other uses, the DJ-G7 won't be able to receive it (true, it's not likely to be carrying analog FM anyway, but...)

Anyway, this HT's performance as a wide-band receiver is a disappointment to me. I suppose it might be useful in a pinch (so long as you're not trying to, say, listen to the police dispatch in New York City) but it won't replace a good scanner.

So, in summary -- nice solid triband HT, good modern way to get on 1.2, but don't be fooled by the alleged wideband receive or for that matter by the full-duplex functionality; these features don't cut the mustard.

I'm not sorry I bought it (especially at the price I paid) but I'm not in love with it. It's still starting to replace the IC-T81A as my travel HT, because it complements the DJ-G29T that I also like to carry, and while the T81A can do 6m that's not not all that useful most places I go. (And the T81A is missing some other things, e.g. DPL.) Between the G7T and the G29T I've got 144, 220, 440, 900 and 1200, and they can share batteries and charger (and other accessories such as programming cables).

AC5PS Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2014 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Wanting to try 1.2ghz  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I never made a contact on 1.2, not because of the radio but instead of paper repeaters. But as for a 2m / 70cm transceiver and a scanner I think it does a good job. The 1200mah batteries don't last very long and since I don't have to change or reprogram very often I have to get the manual out if I have to do so.

AD0AM Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Tribander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned this radio for a few months now and am really impressed in all the stuff packed into it. I don't see any reason you would have to hook up to a computer as the computer software only programs the memory channels that I can do myself. The reason I bought this is the price along with it having 1.2GHz, not 220. And also thw wide recieve. I keep learning more and more cool stuff about this radio and have found that keeping the manual close does help until you start remembering how to set it up. Definately a radio I would recommend to anyone wanting a multi band HT and is like me in an area that has no 220 repeaters or use. Other great use would be for satellites. You don't see too many with 1.2 anymore. But Awsome Radio.

N4ZBO Rating: 0/5 Jul 10, 2013 20:18 Send this review to a friend
not good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This has got to be the worst h/t I have ever owned.
I have 3 of the baofeng ht's I fell that thay are in a lot of ways as good or better than alnico dj-g7.... I just got it and it is not a rig you can do much with out having the computer soft ware or usb cable...I will call alnico and see what thay can tell me and if thay can't tell me any thing if not then it will go back to where I got it....
I will rewright this review later....

VE2LAM Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2012 16:37 Send this review to a friend
One of thé best portable i had!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,
I am a licensed amateur since 1988 and have been using *many* portable radios thru those years (over 50 radios); the portable ham radios I have used the most all thru those years are (not in chronological order): Alinco DJ-580, Yaesu FT-50, Yaesu VX-6R, Icom IC-V8 and Radio-Shack HTX-202.
All these radios had good quality RX audio --which I define as having some bass, good highs but without accompanying "hiss" like Kenwoods have--, they also had acceptably loud audio, enough to be used inside noisy car or outside in noisy events. they also had good to excellent receive qualities outside the ham bands (sometimes with other than stock antenna).
I consider this Alinco DJ-G7T to have all these good qualities in one nice form factor radio! I really like very much it's loud audio, good bassy sounding with good highs, and it's particular capacity of reproducing low signals with almost *no* apparent hiss and with still readable quality! I even wonder how Alinco engineers made that possible! The only other radios I have seen capable of doing this with low signals were the Icom IC-V8 and the Midland 73-005 ham portables.
And with the drop-in charger and an LiIon battery as standard accessories, what can we ask more?
very good buy for the money I say!

AC9CR Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
On the Whole a Good HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've enjoyed using the HT. I've had a number of different ones over the years. The very best was a Yaesu FT-530. This does not come as near to perfect in my opinion as the 530, but it does a very good job. I like the larger size, the way it feels in my hand, I even like the strange strap belt clip. What I don't find as good is the on/off button. It sucks! that's why a 4 instead of a four and a half. No 5s here. It comes with a drop in charger. it programs fairly easily. I aged a year programming with a computer because it is glacial. I like it's little quirks. 4 fingers up!

EA5GIL Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 12:40 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTICO PORTATIL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Me parece un portatil fantastico sobre todo tras haberle actualizado el firmware a la version 5.00 ,me parece muy bueno su flexibilidad a la hora de gestionar sus bancos de memorias,su construccion es robusta y comparandolo con otros de otras marcas mas populares aqui en España no tiene nada que envidiarles,eso si en el precio de los accesorios originales creo que se han pasado un poco en el precio,por todo lo demas lo recomiendo 100% lo de poderle actualizar el firm es un plus y no te olvides que dispone tambien de la banda de 1200 MHz

IZ2QDD Rating: 0/5 Feb 15, 2012 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Very bad radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now I understand why Alinco does not sell much, because its products are bad and this radio is no exception.
Paid so much for having to dine a measly dual-band and having problems with reception in each band.
Frankly, we say that no one else is not at 1.2 Ghz with 1W and then where would you go? It 's already so if you can be heard from the kitchen to bathroom.E' only an expensive gadget useful to listen to the FM under the umbrella at the beach.

KI4MUG Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2011 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Follow up to my last  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm upgrading my review. The customer service is still not good, but I cornered the Alinco rep at Hamcon Southwest and got my answer through his intervention. I seem to have a later version of the software than what is available for download and it may still have some bugs, but the biggest problem is the manual. It really takes a thorough reading since the controls aren't quite intuitive. I wish the receiver was a little more sensitive, but that's the tradeoff for wide receive.