Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-G7 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-G7
Alinco DJ-G7 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: Alinco DJ-G7 144MHz 5W / 430MHz 4.5W / 1200MHz 1W
FM Tri-band Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-G7.

DO9GB Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2011 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed first, like it meanwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
The main reason I bought the DJ-G7 was to work Satellites. It brings with it some nice features for this, like full duplex and memories that can store both bands at once. So once you got everything set up (which requires frequent use of user manual) it is very convenient for SAT use - in theory.

Unfortunately, the full duplex feature does not work for SATs, because transmitting on one band causes so many disturbances on the receive band that you don't hear yourself back from the SAT. With local cross band repeaters full duplex works fine, because the received signal is much stronger.

For this reason I didn't use the DJ-G7 for a while. Some day I stumbled across it again and played more with it. I did the RX extension mod, which increases the usefulness a lot. Furthermore I played with 23 cm on a X5000, which works decently, given the 1 W output power. Also, modulation is good with the internal mic and with an external speaker mic modulation is great.

Output power on 2 m and 70 cm is also only 3 W. And another really annoying thing is, that NF Audio has a constant base (white) noise. So if you listen with low volume (e.g. with head phone) the base noise is extremely disturbing. I meanwhile built myself a head phone adapter with resistor, which lowers overall volume, so that I can increase volume on the DJ-G7, which increases SNR.

All in all it is a reasonable device for the price. I use it quite frequently now, mainly for 23 cm.

N9IAG Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2011 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been wanting to work 1.2Gig for about 20 years now. I like to experiment.

I bid on some Icom 4 band HT's on e-bay that got to $200.00, I gave up.

Went to Dayton to look for used 1.2Gig single band radios, didnt find any. The XYL found the Alinco booth and asked, and found this nice radio.

Purchased 2 of them shipped for under $500.00 less than I paid for one of my IC-92ad's

Played with is that night recieving around, great audio. Easy to program. Did finally need to brake out the manual. I havent read all of the manual, but not sure what they are talkign about what I have experianced the manual is pretty good.

The Japanese gentelmen at Dayton were SUPER nice.

I walked around the neighborhood using 1.2 with the xyl on low power. It did quite well. Expecting WiFi performance, it exceeded my expectations. Having a 5/8 wave Diabmond HT antenna is crasy having nearly 1 watt erp ht on low power.

A couple of days ago I decided to attach the radio to my bird watt meter on a dummy load, and do some testing. I was quite shocked. I attached my IC-92ad to verify the meter was wrorkign ok.

This radio is rated at 5 watts 2M and 440, 1 watt 1.2Gig. Imagine my supporise when I was getting 3 watts with a fully charged battery on 2M, and nearly 4 watts on 440. Both radios had the same output. So I attached my cigarette lighter plug into my Astron 13.8V dc power supply to feed the Alinco with full voltage, and found the power increased.

My 5 watt rated Icom will produce 5 watts 2M or 440 with a charged battery. The Alinco produced 3 watts 2M, and about 4 watts 440 with a fully charged battery. With 13.8 volts I got about 4 and 4.5 watts 2M / 440. It appeared that the higher the freqency the greater the output, so I went to 1.2Gig and found the output to be over 1 watt. My 1 watt slug pegged the bird 43p (peek turned off) The lower power on 1.2 is actually 400mw, not 300.

So, with the stock battery the Alinco produced 3 watts vs Icoms 5 on 2M, but I got the radio for 1.2Ghz, and there it outperforms spec.

In all I like the radio, and the xyl likes its looks. For $250.00 its hard to beat, and back in the day a single band 1.2Ghz ht cost about double that anyway. I was a little shocked to see 3 watts on 2M with the stock battery, and only 4 with full voltage.

N9XG Rating: 2/5 May 3, 2011 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Impressive list of features. Disappointing performance.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say that I was very satisfied with my dealings with R&L Electronics. After listening to my concerns, they gave me a full refund on the radio, as they should.

I purchased this radio because of the impressive list of features, including the only new H/T, that I could find, with 1200MHz.
After two weeks of getting familiar with the radio, and its features, I found some things that I liked, some things that I didn't like, and one thing that was completely unacceptable.

Some things I liked.

1). Interesting list of features.

2). Battery life seems to be very good.

3). Receive sensitivity seems to be good, on all amateur bands.

4). Audio output, from the Main receiver, is impressive for such a small speaker.

5). So much memory, I didn't know what to do with it all.

6). Nice price. $259.

Some things I didn't like.

1). As documented in previous reviews, the manual is not very well written, resulting in some frustration.

2). The radio can only transmit on the Main side. You have to swap sides, if you want to transmit on a Sub frequency. For me, this is a minor inconvenience. However, my old DJ-G5 can do this.

3). The Sub receiver audio was significantly lower than the Main receiver. If this is a deliberate design feature, there is no reference to it in the manual. Two other units, in the store, were examined, and found to have a variety of audio differences, but always, the Sub receiver audio output was noticably less than the Main. At this point, I might have considered a replacement unit that had less difference.

3). The through audio, when using the Crossband repeat function was extremely low, making this feature virtually unusable. This behavior was not compared with other, in store, units.

Something I really didn't like.

If I used the radio on 1200MHz, within 6 feet of a florescent light, there was a very noticable hum on the transmitted audio. Later detected on received audio as well, but less noticable.
I have to assume that the hum was getting into the synthesizer, rather than the audio circuitry, because there is no sign of the pickup on any of the other bands. The problem was confirmed on two other, in store, units.
Cheap as this radio is, I consider this to be unaccepatable, and since the dealer could not offer me a unit that did not exibit this behavior, I had no option but to walk away with my money. I was very sorry that I had to do this, because I think this radio has the potential to be very good, with some nice features.

XG.

JL1KRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2011 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Fun to see channel spectrum  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a sole 3-band HT including 1.2GHz, this is a must buy transceiver to enjoy field operation. Sensitivity is good enough but 2m-band is tend to over loaded. As an important feature of this DJ-G7, not many mentioned, is spectrum monitoring of adjacent channels. Spectrum scan is very fast and often I can see somebody is using vacant channels dynamically. Control of various function is straight forward, better than VX-7. Greed back light and key illumination is beautiful in darkness. This is may favorite point too.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2011 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one at Orlando HamCation for $249... played with it for a couple of weeks since then... I'm impressed by the ease of programming, the clear clean audio 2x, the sturdiness of the rig, and the included fast charger and belt strap (not clip, which breaks on other HTs)...this recent introduction is absolutely first class.. I'd recommend it to anyone... de KK8ZZ

KD6HUC Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2011 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Quirky, but cool and 1.2 to boot!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned mine for a month now and although it's not a dream rig,I like it! I got it for $259 to my door from HRO. It's my second Alinco rig and much different animal than previous HT's I've used such as the Kenwood TH-F6 and Yaesu VX-6R. Being a true dualband radio it has separate controls for each band and I like that. Great Audio reports with mic gain set at 3 for me, but I don't like the PL decode as it seems to cause a long delay on passing audio. Also, I don't like the side buttons at all. They seem not too tough and that itty bitty power button? Scan more than five channels and you'll miss even long winded calls on a scan cycle. What else do I dislike?The belt clip/strap that's never even been out of its packaging because I just don't get it. Why the four rating you may ask?
Okay, in all fairness I got a triband HT with full duplex and crossband repeat plus 1.2GHZ for 260 bucks delivered! I use this rig to monitor two repeaters. One UHF and one VHF, so it's perfect for me. I have gotten many compliments on my audio and can hear the radio even when its in a case on my hip. Battery seems to hold out well, but not forever as I talk a lot. It does get a bit warm on high power, but it has sensible power settings unlike Kenweird.Come on, have you looked at the price of a monoband 1.2GHZ HT USED on Ebay? I get a warranty and two more bands to boot. The drop in charger was a nice touch, but I would have traded that for a little better fit and finish on the rig itself. Aside from the usual features and memory bank settings, I have not toyed with the multitude of bells and whistles this little bugger has, but I like it and may buy another if the price gets any cheaper. Go out and buy one so I have somebody to talk to on 23CM here in the Pacific Northwest:)

SV9OFO Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Got it for a year and bat still lasts 4 ever.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dj-G7 users - set the battery save option to 0.2:0.8 and up.

The battery will last for ever.

Itis amazing that I can ragchew for hours with this piece. Full power on 23cm, ragchewing for hours.

Got it for a year, hasn't lost a bit of battery duration.

5+.

KB9BPF Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2010 03:53 Send this review to a friend
New firmware much better!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my May 25, 2009 review, in which I rated the DJ-G7T a 2 out of 5. Now I think it's worth a 4.

After reading of other reviewers' experiences with "bricking" the radio during the firmware update process I was leery of risking it, but a few days ago I was feeling kind of adventurous so I gave it a whack. Lo! and Behold! It worked!

In my previous review I mentioned several serious operational flaws, and I was happy to find that all have been fixed in V5.00.

The only remaining original nits are not firmware-related. The lack of a SHIFT label noting that as the secondary function of the MAIN button is not too bad as long as one can remember it, and the new manual, while improved, is still pretty hard to decipher.

I do have a new nit to pick, too. I downloaded and installed the V1.6 cloning software, which should be quite a convenience for programming. However, each time I attempted to read the radio's data, an excruciatingly slow process, it ended with a couple "Error" pop-up windows and then the program crashed and shut down. The ERW-7 USB cable and the mic jack adapter worked fine on the firmware update (Whew!) so it's the cloning utility's fault.

I still think the hardware is great. I do hope Alinco's programmers and manual writers get it together. Then it would rate a solid 5.

G6HSM Rating: 2/5 Jul 7, 2010 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking forward to receipt of my Dj-G7, due to work commitments I had no time to play with the radio or test it before going on holiday. It soon became apparent that it was faulty on VHF Rx. Poor broadcast FM sensitivity was obvious and comparing with my Ft-817 showed that I was accessing repeaters with low power that I could not even hear, they were fully quieting on the Yaesu! On my return the trusty Marconi 2955 showed the sensitivity was 20dB down on claimed spec at 145, worse at 134 and band 2 was hopeless!

During the time I had the radio my observations were-

Difficult to switch on- sometimes on the third attempt you really wondered if the batteries where exhausted, what is it going to be like when the switch ages, molegrips perhaps?

Stupid waterproof connector on top- I bought an adaptor lead but its awkward to fit, the bung is in the way and you end up tucking the lead behind the softcase . probably not worth the inconvenience to most people.

The belt clip arrangement is daft and whilst it did allow you to clip the radio up sometimes but it was always flapping in the way.

Operation, less than intuitive, it took some time to get used to the Vfo/memory key and I did not really master it in the time I had the radio, the (early) manual was very poor.

My radio did not have wideband Rx as the later models have, why? Maybe later software can overcome this but why was it not offered on the E version when the T had it?

No auto repeater shift, something we have come to expect as standard for at least the past 10 years but the correct UK TV sound offset can be set up, it only worked on 3 of the 4 analogue channels available here so maybe its not quite right (the fourth channel was just video buzz).

Difficult to remove from its soft case and you have to, because the radio cannot be directly charged from the plug top unit!

The print quality on the front panel seemed a bit lightweight and I did wonder about its durability.

The receiver was sensitive on 70cms and did seem to have a definite edge on my old Kenwood TH-F7, the scan did seem a bit slow, maybe the ctcss decoder is slow to operate and limits its usable speed. 23cms seemed to work,in the time I had it all that was heard was GB3FM whilst passing through. No contacts were made, my homemade Ďset topí slim Jim did work better than the standard whip (fair enough). The display was large and easily read and its settings changed to suit, other functions can be customised which was helpful.
My radio was installed with early software purchased at a discount (£249) and not purchased from an approved dealer, a refund was offered and I grabbed it with both hands! So was I willing to pay the full price for a late software version bearing in mind I had independently purchased £32 worth (with postage) of soft case and EDS-14?
Sorry but I was just not impressed, Iíll cut my losses.
I suppose itís the only 23cm portable around at the moment, if you really want one avoid early software versions. If you want a dual bander with 23cms as a novelty then think again, there are a lot of good dual band radios out there for less.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2010 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Another update review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Still working fine. I have updated the firmware and the change was great! I already had the cables and adapters so I didnt have to buy them. I have used it on 1.2ghz and it works fine there. There is still a little delay in the decode side of the CTCSS. If you dont keep the firmware up to date then you have no reason to complain. Good solid radio, plays well, fits my hand well, easy to face plate program and well as with the software. Manuals and all software available for free on the Alinco web site. I would buy again with no hesitation.