Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7900R
Yaesu FT-7900R Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: The Yaesu FT-7900R Dual Bander operates on 2M and 70CM. High power output is featured with 50 watts on 2 meters and 45 watts on 430 MHz. CTCSS/DCS Encode/Decode is built in. Over 1000 memories are available. It is WIRES compatible. The FT- 7900R well designed front panel provides simple, safe operation. The FT-7900R is ideal for the amateur who does not require cross-band repeat as found on the FT-8800R and FT-8900R. The FT-7900R has excellent receive range covering 108 to 520 and 700-990 MHz (less cellular).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7900R.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Bought a second one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to a previous review. I bought one in 2009 to put in a 2009 HHR, and it has worked flawless for 5 years. I just bought a second one to run with a HRI-200 Wires unit, because I was so happy with the first one. I think that shows what a bargain the FT7900 is.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Another winner from Yaesu  Time owned: more than 12 months
After one year of use, I have nothing but good things to report on this rig. I struggled about which one to buy, but settled on the 7900. It went into our new Dodge pickup and has done all anyone could ask and more. Highly recommended.

I am currently using CHIRP for programming as it allows pulling data from some extensive repeater listings directly into the program.

WB4YAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FT-7900R for 3 years now. In this space of time it has been my mobile dualband rig and has performed flawlessly. There is good receive audio with my Yaesu MLS-100 mobile speaker and I am able to reach all of the repeaters here in the orlando area.
I am more than satisfied with this rig.

AG6JU Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2013 13:41 Send this review to a friend
repaired bad PIN diode  Time owned: more than 12 months
I repaired this radio for bad sensitivity of 2 mtr band. it turn out one of the PIN diode D1015 ( HVC131 ) was opened. next to this radio, there is a APRS transmitter 60 wts. each ANT are separated by abt 1 mtr in distance. APRS ANT was 1/4 wave, FT-7900 ANT was dual band. so APRS TX killed this PIN diode of FT-7900. APRS TX was FT-2800M, which has better receiver protection, so FT-2800 was not harmed by FT-7900 's TX.

KK4KIH Rating: 0/5 Oct 17, 2013 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Will never buy another Yeasu product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Volume level is terrible. From 0 to half way is all you get for volume = from half to full travel nothing happens. Here in Florida we have terrific rain storms, it is almost impossible to hear the radio (in my car) during these storms. Call Yaesu, answer was, that's the way it's made, no upgrades. My FT 1900 is louder!

VK4FAUS Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 18:57 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this radio for some years now, had no issue's at all. Excellent RX also.

No issues recommending this radio.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Previously posted a review and since my mic came back for Yaesu USA, the audio reports that I get are now great. Thanks Yaesu USA for the great customer service.

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Rado  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this radio in my shack, hooked up to a vertical with 8.3 DBi gain at only 30 feet to the base and it's one heck of a talker.
I'm sourounded by high mountains on three sides which makes it difficult to get out in some directions, but the directions I can get out in, I get great reports. It still gets over even the tall mountains, but not without a good bit of static. You'd have to see these mountains to believe that a VHF could even get over them.
I have one repeater that I hit at 85 miles as the crow flies on VHF that most days I get very good signal reports on, not bad because I know I'm bouncing off some mountains to get to the repeater. There are days with bad conditions that it will fade, but most days are pretty decent. Thank the good Lord that I have a good UHF and VHF repeater on top of one of those mountains at 9000'. This is a great simplex radio also, just give it a good antenna.
In the Vehicle with a Comet CA-2X4XSR antenna, I get fantastic reports and great distance.
The radio has the 6 pin jack in the rear for sound cards, Wires and other uses and is easy to operate once you get the hang of it.
The programming software makes getting the frequencies into the radio much faster and easier, but if you take the time to read the book that comes with the radio, you can do much yourself. I'd still get the programmer for speed and ease of use. The Microphone is a little on the light side, may put some weight in mine, but it does have many buttons that make operating the radio while driving far easier and safer.
Overall, for the price, I don't see how you can go wrong. Unless you absolutly must have crossband, this is the radio to get. With a good antenna with low SWR, I find I get 2 or 3 more watts than advertised. This one is worth your hard earned money. I'd buy another, even after operating far more expensive units, they don't talk any better. Unless you need features the 2900 does not offer, save your money for other radio gear !

VE6AGE Rating: 1/5 Nov 20, 2012 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Sent tinny sounding mic to Yaesu USA  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like I said previously. Radio is fine but the mic is horrible. Real bad audio reports from friends I've talked to. I finally shipped my tinny sounding mic to Yaesu USA. Let's see where that will lead me. A repair on a mic that sounds really tinny or a replacement.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
No Problems at all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some others have reported audio problems. I have an FT-7900 and an FT-8800 in my mobile. Switching from one radio to the other, listeners report no discernible difference.