Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7900R
Yaesu FT-7900R Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: The Yaesu FT-7900R Dual Bander operates on 2M and 70CM. High power output is featured with 50 watts on 2 meters and 45 watts on 430 MHz. CTCSS/DCS Encode/Decode is built in. Over 1000 memories are available. It is WIRES compatible. The FT- 7900R well designed front panel provides simple, safe operation. The FT-7900R is ideal for the amateur who does not require cross-band repeat as found on the FT-8800R and FT-8900R. The FT-7900R has excellent receive range covering 108 to 520 and 700-990 MHz (less cellular).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7900R.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Previously posted a review and since my mic came back for Yaesu USA, the audio reports that I get are now great. Thanks Yaesu USA for the great customer service.

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Rado  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have this radio in my shack, hooked up to a vertical with 8.3 DBi gain at only 30 feet to the base and it's one heck of a talker.
I'm sourounded by high mountains on three sides which makes it difficult to get out in some directions, but the directions I can get out in, I get great reports. It still gets over even the tall mountains, but not without a good bit of static. You'd have to see these mountains to believe that a VHF could even get over them.
I have one repeater that I hit at 85 miles as the crow flies on VHF that most days I get very good signal reports on, not bad because I know I'm bouncing off some mountains to get to the repeater. There are days with bad conditions that it will fade, but most days are pretty decent. Thank the good Lord that I have a good UHF and VHF repeater on top of one of those mountains at 9000'. This is a great simplex radio also, just give it a good antenna.
In the Vehicle with a Comet CA-2X4XSR antenna, I get fantastic reports and great distance.
The radio has the 6 pin jack in the rear for sound cards, Wires and other uses and is easy to operate once you get the hang of it.
The programming software makes getting the frequencies into the radio much faster and easier, but if you take the time to read the book that comes with the radio, you can do much yourself. I'd still get the programmer for speed and ease of use. The Microphone is a little on the light side, may put some weight in mine, but it does have many buttons that make operating the radio while driving far easier and safer.
Overall, for the price, I don't see how you can go wrong. Unless you absolutly must have crossband, this is the radio to get. With a good antenna with low SWR, I find I get 2 or 3 more watts than advertised. This one is worth your hard earned money. I'd buy another, even after operating far more expensive units, they don't talk any better. Unless you need features the 2900 does not offer, save your money for other radio gear !

VE6AGE Rating: 1/5 Nov 20, 2012 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Sent tinny sounding mic to Yaesu USA  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like I said previously. Radio is fine but the mic is horrible. Real bad audio reports from friends I've talked to. I finally shipped my tinny sounding mic to Yaesu USA. Let's see where that will lead me. A repair on a mic that sounds really tinny or a replacement.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
No Problems at all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some others have reported audio problems. I have an FT-7900 and an FT-8800 in my mobile. Switching from one radio to the other, listeners report no discernible difference.

VA6GC Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2012 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Bad audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This comment is inspired by VE6AGE

I read the review on eham by ve6age and yes, I had the same audio problem.

Here is what I found a year ago with my FT-7900R, it was the radio. I had similar reports after I installed the 7900 in my car. 90% of the people commented the audio level was low or bad. So I checked antenna, tried 2 other micís and scoured the menu system wondering if I missed anything. The radio itself had the problem. I replaced it with an FT-857D for my car and guess what, no more complaints. The 857 is double the money but also double the radio. A little less power on UHF 20 vs. 35 Watts
I have owned and played with many Yaesu radios and found then all to be very good.
So if I needed to buy a new VHF/UHF radio. I would go with the 8800. Less power out on UHF and more money but no bad reports on audio.

Thank you VE6AGE for posting your comments on eham, it certainly helped me decide.

Glen
VA6GC

VE3GIV Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2012 06:10 Send this review to a friend
power lower than spec  Time owned: more than 12 months
W4LCM mentions in his post that the power levels are lower than advertised/spec and nobodoy else has complained.

Thank you W4LCM for bringing this 7900 anomaly to my attention. I am about to buy a 7900 today as a mobile rig.

I have a 7800, in fact it is my third 7800. I agree with W4LCM's observations 100%. All of my 7800's did exactly the same thing, lower than spec power output; about 20% on VHF and 25% on UHF. So your observations are right on the money are yiou are not alone. I used a Bird 43 to a commercial D/L to check the PO. In fact I interchanged 3 Birds to be sure. The cables used in the test were short non-resonant length LMR400.

This seems to be a common characteristic of this radio that knowbody talks or cares about. Other than that a good performer, provided you don't require dual RX, cross band repeat, echolink and all that stuff.

I'd give it a 4.5 but half marks are not an option.

N5MIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 08:19 Send this review to a friend
good for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is a great radio easy to use and program once you read the manual.

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 11:02 Send this review to a friend
excellent performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the radio as a remote mount several weeks ago and have been very pleased with the overall performance. Love the fact that the remote mount kit is included with the radio as a promotion, also love the fact that the microphone plus into the control head instead of the T/R unit - well done Yaesu! Too bad the speak doesn't also plug into the control head, but the external speaker cable supplied with the remote mount kit made installing the external speaker in the front of the vehicle painless. I use the RT Systems ADMS-7900-USB software/cable for programming and highly recommend it. Receives well on the 222 band, too bad there is no option for TX even at reduced power. One nit - the Scan Resume can be set based on Time, Busy or Hold - but the Time option is not variable and 5 seconds is too short. Overall the radio is an excellent performer and a great value.

W4LCM Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
No 50/40 only 40/30  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My only complaint after one month of use
is that the power levels in this radio is NOT
what they advertise, I only can get
40 watts in Vhf and 30 watts in Uhf.

With all the advances in technology this
day, why is so difficult to achieve the power
they said the radio have?

Is this only happend to me, because I don't see to many complaints about this matter.

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Love the wideband receive.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first rig, which I purchased shortly after I obtained my Technician license. I am very pleased with the purchase. My first contact was through a local area repeater using a Diamond X-50A up at 8 feet. Using just 5W, I consistently received glowing reports on how clear and natural my transmissions sounded.

I have since moved the radio to my truck with a Comet SBB-5 and it performs wonderfully. I bounce back and forth between listening to the repeaters and listening to the local public service and aviation frequencies. It functions wonderfully in both respects.

I am really happy with the FT-7900R and I would buy another one.