Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7900R
Yaesu FT-7900R Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: The Yaesu FT-7900R Dual Bander operates on 2M and 70CM. High power output is featured with 50 watts on 2 meters and 45 watts on 430 MHz. CTCSS/DCS Encode/Decode is built in. Over 1000 memories are available. It is WIRES compatible. The FT- 7900R well designed front panel provides simple, safe operation. The FT-7900R is ideal for the amateur who does not require cross-band repeat as found on the FT-8800R and FT-8900R. The FT-7900R has excellent receive range covering 108 to 520 and 700-990 MHz (less cellular).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7900R.

VE3GIV Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2012 06:10 Send this review to a friend
power lower than spec  Time owned: more than 12 months
W4LCM mentions in his post that the power levels are lower than advertised/spec and nobodoy else has complained.

Thank you W4LCM for bringing this 7900 anomaly to my attention. I am about to buy a 7900 today as a mobile rig.

I have a 7800, in fact it is my third 7800. I agree with W4LCM's observations 100%. All of my 7800's did exactly the same thing, lower than spec power output; about 20% on VHF and 25% on UHF. So your observations are right on the money are yiou are not alone. I used a Bird 43 to a commercial D/L to check the PO. In fact I interchanged 3 Birds to be sure. The cables used in the test were short non-resonant length LMR400.

This seems to be a common characteristic of this radio that knowbody talks or cares about. Other than that a good performer, provided you don't require dual RX, cross band repeat, echolink and all that stuff.

I'd give it a 4.5 but half marks are not an option.

N5MIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 08:19 Send this review to a friend
good for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is a great radio easy to use and program once you read the manual.

K3TD Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 11:02 Send this review to a friend
excellent performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the radio as a remote mount several weeks ago and have been very pleased with the overall performance. Love the fact that the remote mount kit is included with the radio as a promotion, also love the fact that the microphone plus into the control head instead of the T/R unit - well done Yaesu! Too bad the speak doesn't also plug into the control head, but the external speaker cable supplied with the remote mount kit made installing the external speaker in the front of the vehicle painless. I use the RT Systems ADMS-7900-USB software/cable for programming and highly recommend it. Receives well on the 222 band, too bad there is no option for TX even at reduced power. One nit - the Scan Resume can be set based on Time, Busy or Hold - but the Time option is not variable and 5 seconds is too short. Overall the radio is an excellent performer and a great value.

W4LCM Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
No 50/40 only 40/30  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My only complaint after one month of use
is that the power levels in this radio is NOT
what they advertise, I only can get
40 watts in Vhf and 30 watts in Uhf.

With all the advances in technology this
day, why is so difficult to achieve the power
they said the radio have?

Is this only happend to me, because I don't see to many complaints about this matter.

KJ6MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Love the wideband receive.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first rig, which I purchased shortly after I obtained my Technician license. I am very pleased with the purchase. My first contact was through a local area repeater using a Diamond X-50A up at 8 feet. Using just 5W, I consistently received glowing reports on how clear and natural my transmissions sounded.

I have since moved the radio to my truck with a Comet SBB-5 and it performs wonderfully. I bounce back and forth between listening to the repeaters and listening to the local public service and aviation frequencies. It functions wonderfully in both respects.

I am really happy with the FT-7900R and I would buy another one.

M1ERV Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2011 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Poor RX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not happy with this radio from day one.It suffered from intermodulation and breakthrough even from airband,using a small co-linear.Sent it back to Vertec Standard.Now much better.Reasonable performance from cheap dual band.

KD9VI Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2011 10:33 Send this review to a friend
perfect radio for general use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just do standard old FM on 2m and 440. I also have a bank for police and fire, and the local racetrack. I like its ease of use. I am very familiar with Yaesu. I have bought an ft 60, 7100, 1900 and 7900 off EBay and this was the best sounding both RX and TX. People say I sound so natural using this radio. I don't know if the previous owner did anything to the TX but the wrap and box were included, and there were no signs of opening the radio. I love the hyper settings because I have one for ham and one for police scanning. I love that these include 220 receive I just wish they all included all of 900 (the image of cellular is still blocked even though analog is no more! Can't do anything about that!) I do give it perfect rating because of the RX and TX quality.

KC3D Rating: 0/5 Aug 23, 2011 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointing rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the radio yesterday. Deviation very poor even when set to wide. Have to almost swallow the mike and raise your voice to even get close to 3 kh. deviation.
Intermods very bad on VHF when near any rf activity (even in a less than heavy use area). Will probably send the radio back to AES in the next day or so.
I am amazed that Yaseau would put out this poor quality product.

WB2JVB Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent dual bander - some unique features  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was a good pick. Got back into operation after a couple years off. My previous rig (now inside the house) was a Kenwood TM-732a.

Most of my contacts are pretty local, so I won't comment about RX/TX distance, etc. Others have done so.

This radio has a very cool feature, that is not well documented in the manual, hypermemories (HM). Each of the five hypers stores the ENTIRE configuration of the radio.

For example, I have HM-1 set for just my 4 local repeaters and simplex. But when I hit scan, it only scans the repeaters, VHF and UHF, not the simplex as there is too much stuff floating around.

I have HM-5 set to all the local public service freqs, so if I feel like doing some scanning, it works acceptably well.

Get the FT07900 programmer software, and it has a GREAT explanation of how to set up hypermemories. If you are not using these, you are missing a lot. There are a number of options, like which memory banks go to which hypermemory, which channels are skipped during scan, etc. Take the time to read about it.

Also, since these new radios are so crazy to program, if you hit the wrong button and mess up your settings, just press the hypermemory button and all is restored to your favorite settings (up to 5 of them).

Remember to set the default so the hypermemory is not auto updated. If you mess up some settings, and have auto update on, it will over write the hyper memory.

The auto off feature is great, and all radios should have this. My rig is powered by non switched power, so I can shut the car off during a QSO. When I leave the car, it will just shut off after an hour. Great feature. It also beeps when its about to shut off. Just touch a button or key up and it resets the timer.

I recommend this rig highly.

(if you are into this stuff, the mod to expand the TX range is quite easy)

KC5AOS Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2011 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, separation kit stinks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No problems with the radio, althogh I've only been running it for about 2wks now. I would like to try out the PC programming software, but I wish it was less than $40.

The separation kit is another story. The supplied plastic bracket is a real piece of junk. It comes with straight slots for screw mounting but watch out! Even the slightest tightening of the screws/bolts will cause the bracket to shatter. NOT JUST BREAK OR CRACK, BUT SHATTER. Not sure why, could be injection molding parameters were out of calibration, could be an executive decision to save $ by selecting cheaper materials. Just not sure. The temmperature was 82 degrees so it had nothing to do with the cold. I'm curious how many others have had this problem? There realy is nothing else in the kit that you can't get off the shelf for cheap, so if you get it free with the rig, fine, otherwise don't pay for the kit. You can use any temperature rated, 2 sided sticky pad (I source at truck stops) to mount the head where you want without the bracket. You just need to be a little creative in your placement due to the link cable being plugged into the back of the head.