Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2900R
Yaesu FT-2900R Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$$$??? SHOP - AROUND
Description: The Yaesu FT-2900R is quiet and powerful. This ruggedly- built 2 meter transceivers boasts 75 watts of output. Yet no fan is required thanks to Yaesu's die cast chassis/heat-sink design. The ergonomics are unsurpassed for safe mobile operation. Four power levels are available: 75, 25, 10 and 5 watts. And weather channels are built in with Severe Weather Alert capability. The FT-2900R is MIL-STD 810 tough. You get extended receive from 136-174 MHz.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2900R.

KA8ZYZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 23:30 Send this review to a friend
FT-2900R works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received a FT-2900R from R&L Electronics. I hooked it up to my power supply and Diamond verticle. And with absolutely no surprise or fanfare, it functioned flawlessly. Got great responses on transmit audio.
But I expected no less with a Yaesu. I have been running a FT-2800M for 8 years now, along with my FT-60R and FT-250 HT's with no problems whatsoever.
And to top it off, I got it for $134.95 shipped free! Just my two cents, But with all the equipment I have purchased over the past 30 years, the Yaesu has never failed to perform very well. I have paid more for other brands, but I never had better equipment in my opinion.
DONMTEXAS Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2015 04:44 Send this review to a friend
A good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 4 months with this radio I can say that I like the 75 watts. I have worked repeaters 70 miles away with ease. I use a Larsen nmo 150 c in the center of the top of me Crown Victoria.

This radio is a brick. The heat sink looks like a George Foreman Grill. I fitted mine with a 140 mm low speed fan. No fan noise. No heating up. I can check in to any 2 meter net in this corner of my state with ease.

The selector knob moves way too easily. I have had q's o's interrupted just because my wife moved her knee.

The mic keys too easily. This can cause unwanted transmitting.

A couple of better springs would get this radio a 5 from me. Overall the electronics perform flawlessly.
N6AIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Right Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a 2 meter mobile so I read all of the reviews on the Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom.

I was drawn to the Yaesu because of the 75 watts and the fact that there was a dial for squelch. I also liked reading that it was simple enough to program without software.

I was put off by the reports that it was bulky and heavy and that a fan over the heatsink was probably required.

Despite those negatives, I bought the Yaesu.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that it isn't bulky and heavy and that with my pattern of usage, I won't need to add a fan.

It isn't a perfect radio. There are several little things I wish it had, or wish it didn't have. For example, there is no onscreen indication of what your squelch level is and when squelch is turned up all the way, moderately weak stations can still break through. Maybe there is something in the manual to modify the squelch. I don't know. The manual, by the way, is flawed but not critically so.

The screen is huge, the scanning feature works well, and the fact that the speaker is on the bottom isn't a problem.

To summarize, I'm happy with my purchase. I like the 75 watts because I work mostly simplex and I like that it has four different power settings, one of them as low as 5 watts. It has dial squelch and to me that is important. And I'm also very pleased to see that heat isn't an issue.

Though it has some flaws, they're minor. Of the big three, I think this one is clearly the best.

KG7SUB Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2015 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great little 2m radio for the price. Make sure you shop around before purchasing, as I have found it as low as $139 when HRO has a sale. I use this as a mobile radio that I'm also set up to take inside as a base station. It puts out 75 watts which is very nice on long drives or when trying to reach a far away repeater.

I have never had any reliability problems and after putting in a few repeaters I can program anything into this radio very quickly, which I like. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone as long as they know what it can and can't do.
W2OZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2015 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Best of the bunch!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Best of the bunch Y-K-I-A , but for as long as 2m FM has been around, not perfect . Great price under $160 , great power from 5 to 75W , great features PL and DCS tone capability,Dual watch receiver plus Home channel and WX with 1 button ! Fairly simple to program uses 1 key for menu entry and the big knob for selections . Rig gets best ratings , the manual is a fair job but has problems . Only things negative about the rig : 1 The power cord is UGLY, big boxy fuses,and 2 separate wires ready to get tangled in everything , gets a poor ! 2 Some kind of finger guard creates annoying access to the SO-239 Connection , very poor in that area . Great sturdy knobs both Volume and Squelch sturdy no wobbling like others , fantastic VFO knob large and positive detents and resistant to bumping over . No place on the rig for the MIC hanger that is provided . The manual is typically over complicated , the rig is much simpler than the text to operate ! Some errors like the Power choices, manual says L1,l2,M, Hi . Rig displays L1,l2,l3,Hi . Also the page numbers do not agree between the E-Manual and the Printed Manual , so if you are steering someone from an E-manual keep in mind the page numbers are different !
KC5CQD Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2015 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Built Like A Tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the postman handed the package to me, I almost dropped it because I wasn't expecting the weight. This thing is a bruiser and very easy to program. Save yourself some money and don't order the programing software. I had it hooked up and programmed for several repeaters and simplex frequencies in about thirty minutes. Not sure about any heating issues. I ran it at 30 watts (plenty of power for a base setup) for a couple of QSOs and didn't notice any heat. Maybe at 75 watts it gets pretty warm but I would expect that. Hence the huge heat sink! Rugged radio and easy to operate. If two meters is all you want or need, then this is the radio to buy.
K6MMS Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2015 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Big, easy, durable!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Love it! Love it! Love it!
Does it do everything that all the big expensive units do? Nope! is it super light and easy to fit in your car? Nope! Does it cover all the bands that everyone seems to want these days? Nope! But this little brick does one thing and it does it very well: it covers the 2 meter band like no other and it stomps all over everything else in the process. The screen is HUGE! I LOVE THAT! The buttons are big and chunky. EXCELLENT! It's huge. It's heavy. It's hard to fit anywhere, but this thing will outlast any other portable rig I have guaranteed. I wish everything was built this robustly. Well done!
VE7REN Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2015 18:01 Send this review to a friend
good radio,gets warm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was hesitant to get this radio from the heat issues mentioned.. I to find it get warm on low power.. ,75 watts it gets very warm with longer tx time.. I installed a fan on the heatsink of this radio.. soldered the fan wires to the power supply cord.. all seems fine now,other then the constant fan noise.. very large unit compared to most.. HEAVY brute too.. as with most yaesus,its easy for me to program,etc... I like everything about this radio,other then the heat it generates.. it has massive heat sink fins,but they don't dissipate like it should.. maybe a design issue... all in all im happy with it.. my 2300h icom puts out 65 watts with long qso,s and does not get warm like the 2900h...
KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been 100% happy with the FT-2900R. It is a bit heavy due to the heat sink, but it sure works great and is easy to program.
200 memory channels is plenty and being able to put channels into the different banks makes scanning very easy without having to scan all channels unless you wish to is handy.
They can be had for about $140.00 on sale, and are a great value at that price.
K4ISR Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been debating several different radios for over a month, and with the giga retailer sale price and the Yaesu rebate brought it down to a very reasonable price, meaning even if it didn't work well, I am not out much money. Tested with a simple battery and external antenna and programmed in several repeaters that I struggle with (or no access) with my HT. Immediately I had access to repeaters 15-20 miles away on low power, and they reported better signal reports at low2 (10W). Ran it on low3 (30W) and high (75W) several times and although it got a little warm, never had a problem with overheating. Mic button is a touch sensitive, as even a slight push and it immediately transmits instead of waiting for full button depression. I would definitely recommend to others.