Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2900R
Yaesu FT-2900R Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$$$??? SHOP - AROUND
Description: The Yaesu FT-2900R is quiet and powerful. This ruggedly- built 2 meter transceivers boasts 75 watts of output. Yet no fan is required thanks to Yaesu's die cast chassis/heat-sink design. The ergonomics are unsurpassed for safe mobile operation. Four power levels are available: 75, 25, 10 and 5 watts. And weather channels are built in with Severe Weather Alert capability. The FT-2900R is MIL-STD 810 tough. You get extended receive from 136-174 MHz.
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft2900r.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2900R.

WX0NWS Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Base Station  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent base station radio for 2m. I use it on 5w and hit all of the repeaters in my area with full quieting. It's works well on TX/RX and my antenna is located in a closet. Overall, it's just as good as the FT-2800M. It's a solid workhorse.

PROS:
*The VFO/Volume/Squelch knobs have nice tension.
*Easy to operate and program.
*RF Squelch function in menu (great for keeping out traffic light noise at intersections)

CONS:
*I'm scared to put out 75w for too long because there is no fan (only a huge heat sink), it gets a little warm just having a 30min conversation on 5w but it's only warm, not hot.
*When putting out 75w keep the antenna away from your power supply (at least 6ft), my antenna was too close and it shut my Astron SS-30M down from RF overload.
*Needs an external speaker because the audio quality sounds worse with increasing volume (like all other radios). Also, I'm afraid fire tone could blow out the speaker (they are extra loud in my county)

73 DE WXNWS Donnie

KD8HAM Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m unit for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great 2m unit! 75W is a lot more power than most people need. Threw this in my old Mazda and used a comet mag mount 1/4 wave 18" antenna.

Programing and using this radio is a breeze. The memory banks are a quite useful feature! Large display is another plus. Some people say that this radio can get pretty hot at 75w - although I have not used it at that setting!

Transmit quality is excellent! Audio is quite loud and clear.

Great starter rig at a great price!

KB1TRY Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2011 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Another Check In..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me say this. I love this radio. It was my first. And I talk on this radio every day. Simplex, it works great. 75 watts is a nice feature. In I belive late December. I went to go monitor simplex. And the radio was almost locked in memory mode. The buttons on the front of the radio stopped working. I could transmit on that channel, spin the memorys through. Sent to Yaesu. whatever they did i havent had a problem. the mic has fell off th desk and smashed into the side. works great. I love this radio. That one problem did not alter my great look on yaesu products. I own A yaesu FT250 HT, And a Icom T2H, I prefer the Yaesu! Thats what i use in the mobile and it works wonderfully. Thanks. Quinn KB1TRY

KE3W Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2011 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this puppy for a few months. So far - I love it. My only problem (found others with Yaesu rigs including HF) is when you turn on the Power Supply (only use it at home) - the rig turn's on and off for a split second. Then, when you hit "power" on the rig - it loads just fine (and yes, I shut off the rig and then the Power Supply as a normal procedure when putting it to bed). Anyway, I reset the processor - and it stopped UNTIL I shut off the Power Supply for more then a minute. I found a few other's with this problem (include HF rigs) when I solicited help from the user community. Otherwise - it runs super.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2011 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first acquisition in 15 years. What a great radio! Easy to program manually, nice big display, solid construction, great price, and 75 watts! I use mine as a base station. I wish this radio had been around in 1992 when I first got my license. Good beginners radio because its so easy to use but is full of advanced features for the old-timer.

LZ1MAK Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2011 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One very good, easy to use, stable rig. The menu is good for me, no fan and moving part - great for me. I am giving rating 5 for this mobile rig, using it like base station now. For this price it is the best.
73 to all hams
Marin, Bulgaria

KD0KRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Awesome little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I bought this, I was skeptical of its simplicity, thinking that I should have a radio with more features. However, when I was in the middle of the forest volunteering for a rally race, the 75 Watt transmit capability really came in handy and made me glad I bought this particular radio.

It doesn't do much compared to other more expensive radios, but for the price, it's a fantastic 2 meter rig. And it's sturdy as heck to boot! I could probably use it as a hammer in a pinch.

It does have some downsides, though. Since it's a Yaesu, the menu system can be confusing at first, but you get used to it. Programming it is also a chore, but probably as easy as you can get with a radio in this price range.

KG6EYM Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 21:07 Send this review to a friend
best bang for the buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a couple of tries to program it manualy it was everything I wanted in a mobile rig. I was able to hit repeaters that I could not do with my old Radio Shack rig at the same power level. when I did crank it up to the full 75watts I was able to hit a repeater over a hundred miles away and talk with another mobile load and clear. only problem like i said was getting it programed.

KG6WLV Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Darn Good Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first mobile 2M rig, and I am very pleased with my purchase. I am running it with a Hustler MX-2 mag mounted on the roof of my Toyota Corolla, mostly talking to friends on FM simplex. I drive from the Bay Area across the San Joaquin Valley to the Sierra foothills, and regularly work stations 40-50+ miles distant. Most of my friends are running 2-meter horizontal beams for sideband, and we can make reliable contacts with my setup despite the loss with the cross polarization. Any repeaters I'd care to use are a snap, of course.
Some of the Pros (many others have mentioned):
1.)Very rugged design with a large display.
2.)Nice touch on controls.
3.)Robust, pleasing audio on both TX/RX.
4.)Very good receiver, with extended coverage for high VHF Public Service (very useful in my area), and Weather Band. I'm not sure why the one reviewer was experiencing splatter from adjacent channels, but I've heard none of that. My take is that this rig has a bullet-proof front end.
5.)Excellent value for the money. The MX-2 and the rig were about $200 out the door at HRO.
6.)I think the scan functions work adequately well for my purposes. I have about 20 channels -- a mix of simplex channels and favorite repeaters -- programmed in mine. I use the carrier mode and the mic to toggle in or out of the scan mode or step if the rig stops on a channel I'm not interested in.
Cons:
1.)This rig gets VERY hot in the 75W mode -- it will actually burn your hand if you touch the cooling fins -- and it will eventually shut down if you are long-winded, although mine cooled down immediately when I directed my AC vents at it. Retrofitting it with a small fan would be a good idea.
2.)Recessed SO-239 connector is difficult to get at easily.
I have no bias in favor of one member of the "Big Three"; I own rigs by all of them. I may sell this rig in the near future, but only because I want to upgrade to a FT-857D or something similar so I can work 2-meter sideband and HF in my car. But if you are looking for firepower in a tough mobile 2-meter FM rig, I recommend it.

N2ZLC Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2010 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Good except for VFO scanning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you don't care about VFO scanning then this radio is good or possibly even great. But if you're the type of person that likes to scan seldom-used frequencies and not merely your local repeaters, police, fire, etc., then you'll be disappointed.

The first problem is the (carrier) squelch, which even at the highest setting will break for a noisy channel. Yes there's a separate RF (S-meter level) squelch, but that's buried somewhere in the 50+ menu settings. The user should get to decide if the squelch knob controls carrier squelch, RF squelch, or even both at the same time.

The second more serious problem is the inability to skip channels during VFO scanning. Skipping/masking is only available during memory scanning, and even then it's a pain, requiring a trip to the 50+ menu settings. Skipping should be as simple as pressing a single button on the mic.

Taken together, these two issues make for a frustrating VFO scanning experience, where the only way to really avoid birdies and other annoyances is to use the "resume scanning after x seconds" option.