Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1900R

* CW Trainer
* Sever Weather Alert
* Backlit DTMF Mic
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft1900r.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1900R.

VE3EPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2014 13:34 Send this review to a friend
It's better than I thought  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was the first person to review this radio. That was almost 5 years ago. I still drive the same pick up and the 1900 has been bouncing around in it, unharmed, since new. I have upped my rating because of the performance and satisfaction with the mic connector. I live in the country, and it's taken a beating.

First off, with any newer radio, programming can be a pain in the butt. With so many features packed into radios like this 1900, using a software program is the way to go. The old fashioned among you will say, but what happens if I am not near a computer? That's easy. Keep the manual handy. I use RT Systems software for this and an IC-T7h. It's so easy.

The mic connector has been tugged on and shaken for 5 years with no sign of wear. That was one thing I was concerned with in my initial review. It's fine.

Having four power levels is nice. I keep it on Low, which is 5 watts. Rarely do I have to bump it up. The radio is attached to a Tram 2 meter antenna which works just fine pulling in signals.

This goes for pretty much any radio, but if you power it through the aux power plug (cigarette lighter), make sure you use a choke. Initially, I got some whine, but it's no longer a problem.

Am I happy? Yes! I'm going to get another for the cottage!

K3CXG Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2014 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Has Issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the FT-1900 for just over a year and use it exclusively as a mobile rig. It has worked very well. I programmed it with the RT Systems software (the ONLY way to go!), and set power levels on all channels at LOW3 (25 watts). With a 5/8-wave mobile whip, I can get into many repeaters on my daily 35 mile-each-way commute. However, recently, I’ve observed the following when I switch from memory channels to VFO. When I key the transmitter, the radio goes momentarily dead, and then comes “back to life” on the last-used memory channel! Also, the power defaults to HIGH (55 watts) on VFO. I e-mailed Yaesu, and they suggested that the radio might be getting insufficient voltage or amperage, but I used the same setup (factory-provided DC cable) on my previous rigs (all Radio Shack HTX-242s) with no problems on high power (45 watts). I will pursue this further with Yaesu, but if anyone else has had a similar problem, feel free to post it here, I’d like to know your specifics.

K4TB Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2014 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Fits the Bill  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After researching the UHF and VHF mobiles out there, I settled for the FT-1900R since it was the smallest mobile that would fit under the dash of my old 2001 Honda Accord, and it was simply replacing an old, defunct RadioShack VHF mobile. I didn't really need UHF or higher power since those mean a bigger radio apparently. The radio is easy to use and suits my purpose well.

I only give it a 4 however for two reasons: 1. It receives some fundamental overload on the calling channel, 146.520 MHz, from a FM broadcast station in town, and 2. It showed me an overheat warning and got very warm on one long transmission I did at full power (55w). These issues aren't too serious to me however. The receive issue only happens in one part of town near the FM BC station and hasn't occurred anywhere else I've traveled including much Florida. Changing the clock frequency in the radio per the option didn't help. The transmit issue is no real problem as I can just reduce power, not talk so long, and/or use the time-out timer in the radio. However, I think manufacturers should lower their maximum power settings in under-the-dash mobile radios as they know are going into small cars where you can't expect much clearance for air flow.

In summary, if you need a small, modestly powered, under-dash-mount mobile radio, the FT-1900R works well and is a good buy now with the rebate deal being offered.

AA1OV Rating: 0/5 Dec 21, 2013 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Not for Full Time Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a self admitted Yaesu freak. So it really hurts me to rate this rig with a 0. I bought a new one for APRS digi duty and it lasted a week before it lost it's audio, so I sent it to Yaesu for warranty repairs and bought a second FT-1900 to replace the first one. This one lasted a week and apparently lost it's final transistor.... So off to Yaesu it goes. Both of these rigs replaced a used FT-2900 that lasted 2 months and lost it's final transistor.

The original rig used was an FT-7100 dual bander that lasted 3 years. The SWR is fine and the operating conditions are normal for a digipeater use.

I can only guess, that the FT-1900R and the FT-2900 are fine perhaps for occasional Ham use, but not built for full time 24/7 work. That's sad...

KC9YZR Rating: 2/5 Sep 24, 2013 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Great At First But One Major Problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased/Ordered online, during a sale, and included a 30-dollar mail-in rebate, if purchased during a certain period of time.

The shipped package was about 6 Pounds, so it does seem to be of good, heavy or solid, construction.

The instruction manual seemed to not be the easiest that I have come across, but after reading it, and actually doing what they said to do, in order to "get the job done" so to speak, it really wasn't that bad, to understand, or anything like that.

I had re-tuned my Hustler G-7, to about 146 MHz, because I had quit Ham Radio for almost 13 years, and had actually re-tuned it for about 151.820 or 151.880 MHz, using it for the MURS frequencies, once they became available, so I re-tuned it for 146 MHz, using a 3-foot jumper, plus a MFJ-208 Vhf Antenna Analyzer. (Later I re-tuned again, after the heat problem, at the transceiver end, with 50 feet of coaxial feed-line inline. Only had to move the antenna section 1/4 inch to re-tune again.)

I thought that it was great at first, but I have dropped it down to "OK," because of a problem I have with it. (I have now dropped it down to Needs Help.)

When I got into a 10-minute conversation, with my best friend, and when I spoke for about 1 to 2 minutes, then he spoke for 1 to 2 minutes, etc., after about 10 minutes of the conversation the rig beeped at me and stopped transmitting, and I thought that I had "timed out," as I did have the TOT set to 3 Minutes, which I think is the default setting, but when I tried to transmit again, it beeped again at me, and I noticed a message on the screen/display, which I think was, "Heat," and then I checked the TEMP in the menu and it showed about 168 degrees, and was dropping, so using the 55-watt high power setting, to have or hold an on-going conversation seems useless, or not possible, or not practical, to me.

The entire rig's case got very hot to the touch for me and even included the mounting brackets and screws.

I am actually only using it on the 5 and 10-watt power levels, and if I need or want more power, I will turn my 80-watt Mirage B108G amplifier on, as it needs 10 watts of drive.

Yes, I think that the heat sink could have been on the top and back, instead of the bottom and back, but if it had some sort of cooling fan inside, like a PC has, and cooling slots in the case to let the air go out, maybe it would work better, or maybe if it had a cooling fan mounted on the back or bottom, to help dissipate the heat generated while transmitting, maybe that would help.

I had a hard time deciding whether to give it a 4 - Good, or a 3 - OK, as there are things that I like about it also.

By the way, I have been monitoring the memory channels I have set up, scanning, and checking the current TEMP, it shows 91.4F.

The DC Volts shows 14.0 Volts, so I imagine it rounds to that, being it is connected to a Samlex SEC-1223 Switching Power supply.

I like the variable dimmer for the display, and the MCGAIN, or Mike Gain, I guess could be handy for things like Packet Radio, or the Internet connection, etc., and the 4 programmable "P Buttons," like to access the WX right away, and the ability to have the severe WX alerts to "get your attention" to the alerts, if you scan those while scanning, is nice also, and having the choice of wide and narrow deviation could come in handy I suppose, if and when it would be needed.

Anyway, over all, the rig is ok, but it could use better cooling some how, and also the scan rate could have been a little faster, it is OK, if you only have like 20 or 30 repeater frequencies in the memories, plus maybe a couple of favorite simplex frequencies, but once you add public service frequencies, like ambulance, fire, police, etc., and also if you add railroad frequencies, to it, using like say 100 or more memories, then the scan rate is a bit too slow, but it is OK as it is.

If the FT-1900R would have better cooling somehow, it would be a great Vhf transceiver, especially for the low cost of it, as I like the physical size of it, not too large, not too small, and if it could keep the rig cool enough to use in an average conversation, without shutting down, then I would also think that it would be a great rig...

I do not really care for the modular microphone plug though, as I have had problems with another rig, having the lock tab breaking off as the usual problem I have had in the past, like something catching the tab, breaking it off, which keeps the microphone connected to the transceiver, causing the mike to become disconnected, or pulled out, from the transceiver.

Also it isn't that important to me, but if the S/RF meter had S-Unit markings on it, that would be helpful, as the bar graph meter doesn't really seem that useful to me, especially if someone asks me how good their signal is.

I just tell them that they are giving me 5 out of 9 bars...LOL...

Anyway if it would not shut down on me, when I try to have a conversation with someone, when using 55 watts of power, then I would be completely satisfied with it.

(Some of above pasted from previous review with additional comments added.)

Anyway, I have received my 30 dollar rebate check from Yaesu, almost exactly one month after mailing it in.

I have dropped my original Great, then down to OK, and now to Needs Help, as today I tried to have a conversation with someone today, using only 10 watts, and the transceiver over heated and shut down on me, after only about 10 minutes of chatting between him and myself, and it is so embarrassing or irritating, to have the transmitter shut down on me, then he lets me go, stops talking to me, and I hear him talking to me, giving me his 73, after I un-key the mike, unaware the transmitter had even shut down on me because I had the beep turned off.

Using a 4-inch cooling fan, taken from an old PC power supply, blowing against the bottom of the transceiver, just receiving or scanning, drops the temperature about 10 degrees, about 85 degrees with the cooling fan running, and about 95 degrees without the cooling fan.

Without the additional fan blowing against the heat sink, I get about a 3-minute transmission before the transmitter shuts down, using 55 watts or 6 minutes or so when using it at a 50% duty cycle talking to a friend.

With the fan running I get about a 10-miunte conversation, 50% duty cycle, but today, without the fan running, even at 10 watts, I had only two short transmissions while trying to talk to someone, so for me the transceiver is almost unusable, definitely unreliable, certainly could not count on it during emergencies.

Sorry, I really liked the FT-1900R, except for the overheat problem, and I can't even use the 10-watt power level and it still stops transmitting on me.

WA0NDN Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2013 20:50 Send this review to a friend
It has some quirks, but is ok  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the FT-1900R new because they were on sale and I already had an antenna up for 2 meters. I too have experienced the quirk where you turn on the power supply (and the radio is off) and the display flickers and there is a snap from the speaker. Seems odd if the radio is truly off! I have not yet figured out how to bypass scanning 144.0 as my xyl's TV has a spurious emission on that frequency. The power output has a mind of its own. I normally set it for 55 watts out but all by itself, it changes to a lower power output setting. Whenever I turn the rig on it frequently is NOT at the last power output setting I had it set for.

UR5EOA Rating: 0/5 Jun 12, 2013 13:44 Send this review to a friend
One more dead on delivery  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's just frustration. I got it muted forever. Hovewer I was able to listen stations but very very quiet. CPU reset did not help. I had a little hope what this is something simple and I have to find right menu item to set. But LCD segments start to miss next day. Probably this is a great radio but not for me. I do not want it anymore and ask my money back. I see I am not alone here.

N3XQ Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Consider the location of the Heat Sink  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my FT1900R from HRO Delaware on 5/3/13. It arrived via UPS nicely packed, the box containing the 1900R was in nice condition, no dented corners, etc,. I opened the 1900R box and slid the rig out of its plastic bag and the first thing I was aware of was the texture of the bottom of the rig - it felt like rough metal - I flipped it over and was looking at the heat sink that covers the entire bottom of the radio! I had seen many 2M radios with large, metal fins that extend up the back, or are on the top or stick out from the back of the radio, but never one where the only heat sink covers only the bottom of the rig! Why is that a possible problem? Well as you know, heat rises which means the FT1900R components/board will be "cooking" in its own heat, which, to me is not a good idea at all.... HRO allowed me to bring it back the next day (which was nice of them) and I exchanged it for a different brand that had its heat sink where it belongs - mostly on the back of the rig. Maybe that is not a concern for you, but I believe others should be aware of it. 73, Tom N3XQ

VE3KNT Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 02:59 Send this review to a friend
Best 2m rig around  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, technically the FT-1900R I have right now is only a couple months old.. I dropped out of the hobby completely last year (due to health reasons, I'll spare you the details.) and sold off all my gear. But had another FT-1900R for well over a year before the sell off, which preformed great.

When I decided to get back on the air, I picked up a used radio that was problematic at best, but I was trying to save money. After a week, I knew I needed a better radio, and bought the FT-1900R I have now. Programed it so that all the local repeaters and simplex frequencies were in the places I had them before and am very happy with it.

My point is, I like this radio enough I bought a second one when I needed another radio even though it was pushing my money resources a lot.

I have only one real complaint about it, that is if power is lost the radio stays in the "on" state when power comes back, which gives my power supply trouble because there's a load on it and the power supply won't start up without some help.

and a minor peeve.. I don't like the back-light color on the display.

So I can't say it's perfect, but it's pretty close.

K4YZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2013 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Value In A Small Package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Rugged and outstanding rig. Solidly built and thoughtfully engineered. Intuitive programming. Only "beef" is tendency of plastic covering of mic cord to split and fray.

I especially appreciate the programming features are very similar to other Yaesu/Vertex rigs. If you were working a public service event or EmComm operation and had to make an unplanned frequency change and owned an FT-1802 or FT2600M, it wouldn't take a programming degree to run the rig!

Rig does develop some odd programming quirks with MARS/CAP mod, but doesn't effect overall operation and is only apparent while programming new frequencies.

If I go looking for a monoband 2M rig, the -1900 will be on the list.

Steve, K4YZ