Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1900R

* CW Trainer
* Sever Weather Alert
* Backlit DTMF Mic
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft1900r.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1900R.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2012 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Like the previous review I chose this over the FT-2200R because of size and RX sensitivity.

I bought 2 new radios this summer to replace the aging ones in my cars. The FT-1900R was one of them.

This radio was very easy to program and since I already had a rig in the car the total installation was less than half an hour.

There are plenty of memories and functions in this radio and also 10 NOAA WX channels with alert and separate alert volume.

There are 4 transmit power levels. 5, 10, 25, and 50 wattts)

I rated this radio a 4 because of the cheap microphone connector and over molded strain relief of the cable as well as an LCD display (another thing all manufactures use) LCD displays are crap for mobile. They have a life span less than the radio and they die. They do not handle really cold weather. They cannot be seen with polarized sun glasses (so it can create a driving hazard).

KD8PMK Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2012 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, well worth the price!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like a lot of people I debated between getting the FT-1900R and the FT-2900R. The reason I went with the FT-1900R is that it has more receiver sensitivity, is smaller in size, and has less power consumption.

I know that a lot of people say to just go with the FT-2900R. This seems mostly to be based off of the fact that it puts out a little more power. However from my research and talking to other hams in the area, my findings would indicate that the extra 20w is not going to make that much difference in transmission distance. A few miles perhaps. I also found calculations that stated to double the transmission distance of a 55w radio, that you would have to bump up to 500w. This would indicate to me that the gain for the extra 20w's is not enough to worry about.

The one thing the extra wattage does for the FT-2900R is use more current and this is something I wanted to get away from. One of the things I would like to be able to do with this rig is to run it off of a simple solar system consisting of one 40 to 85 watt panel and a 35 -50 Ah battery. While doing this, you could easily reduce power on both rigs, but I would like to be able to use a higher transmit output with less current consumption. This is where the FT-1900R has a benefit in my eyes for my application. The FT-1900R at 55w will use around 9A, vs 14A at 75w for the FT-2900R as tested by ARRL. To me that is a significant increase in amperes for just a few extra miles of reach. So for operation with a small solar set up, the FT-1900R definitely has the upper hand. The receiver also uses about half of the current as the FT-2900R.

The receiver sensitivity is another concern for me. I know a lot of people say that the difference is not that much, but I feel that any increase in receiver sensitivity is a benefit for me living out far from any large cities. The closest large city is 2 hours away and is under 30,000 people so the chances of a more sensitive receiver picking up unwanted interference is minimal. If you lived in a large city perhaps this could be a concern, but I have yet to hear anyone with the 2m Icoms complain about too much receiver sensitivity and they are about the same as the FT-1900R. If anything the complaint around here is that the FT-2900R and some of the other transceivers with less sensitivity have some problems picking up some of the weaker signals. Not owning both I cannot say for sure.

Also a factor for me is the smaller size. From how many people talk about these rigs, I was thinking that it might be a little on the light side or dinky. I have found it to be very sturdy feeling and heavier than I would have thought. The build quality seem excellent as well. The FT-2900R must be massive compared to this one for the comments I have read about how dainty the FT-1900R seems to them. The less clutter on my desk the better, and if I put it in the truck or car for trips the same applies there as well.

Overall I am very pleased with this rig and would recommend it to someone with the same requirements as myself. Having only used it for a short time now I cannot comment on its durability, but with the reviews on this site, it looks like it will be a great rig.

73's

KD8PMK
Dave

W8GND Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2012 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Dandy radio with quirks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my FT 1900R programmed, and it seems
to be just fine.

To very minor things. The step size on the vfo changes very often, and I can't figure out what makes it do it.

Also, this is another one of those radios that doesn't like to go under 145.200 with the automatic programming system. No problem, you just to do those manual. Haven't figured this out.

Good radio!

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2012 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Fine Workhorse!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the FT-1900E in my car without any problems.
As standard I use 25 Watts and so this radio gets somewhat warm but not hot. This is absolute normal for such transceivers without active cooling. I mounted it with some space around the housing for cooling air.

In comparison to my Allmode Kenwood TR-751 (one of the old 2m radios with really good rx) the FT-1900 has nearly the same sensitivity and a bit less selectivity. But to be fair, for the price of abt 150.-- Euro here in Europe (185.-- USD) this radio is absolute ok.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2012 04:14 Send this review to a friend
All Around Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
For reasons that I don't understand, this radio has received unfair low review numbers. I have owned mine for a little over a year and it has been mobile the entire time. I've had no display problems or overheating problems as others have reported, even after twenty to thirty minute long QSO's both simplex and on repeaters. It was easy to program frequencies into memory and using the memory scan features is also easy. Since I travel quite a bit for work I like the memory banks option. I've programmed five banks into mine, "North", "South", "East", "West" and "Home" and I can scan only the repeaters in the area I'm headed in relation to my QTH.

I am a Kenwood fan but I bought this rig because it seemed to fit my needs better than anything Kenwood had to offer and I have NOT been disappointed. It's operated without flaws for over a year and I've been very happy with it's performance.

WX2PJR Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 04:00 Send this review to a friend
Larger then expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Turned it on works great, right out of the box. If the radio was going to fail would have done it by now. TX/RX sensitivity is great like other Yaesu radio's I have had/have. Bigger then expected I had a 1500M before very small 50 watts this one is much larger but has and actual heat sink.

W4YAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 meter Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham and recently bought one of these as a starter radio to use as a mobile/base unit. Hooked it up to a power supply and an inexpensive mag mount in my home office for the first time yesterday. I was able to easily reach a repeater 50 miles away from me with crystal clear reception. Initially my transmission was a little cloudy, but moving the mag mount around in the room quickly cleared that up.

The radio controls are simple and easy to use and I had no problem getting it set up with favorite memory locations in a very short time. I am very happy with the purchase, especially the price point. I was able to put together this rig with, with radio, antenna and power supply for around $250 and it should serve me well into the future.

VK8NTX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 08:04 Send this review to a friend
A nice 2m Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like this little rig, It dose everything it say's it dose and it dose it well! at a good price to!
The buttons and knobs have a good feel to them and the dispaly is easy to read.
Yes it dose get hot at times however this has never afictted to working of the radio. The trick I'v found to lower the temp is to get the SWR nice and low under 1.5:1. When my SWR was 1.7:1 the radio would get as hot as 71c
At the end of the day it's a good radio for the price and I would buy one again.

AC5JV Rating: 2/5 Jul 15, 2011 05:33 Send this review to a friend
AC5JV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I HAVE OWNED THIS RADIO 6 MONTHS NOW . AND HAVE WATCHED THE TEMP ON IT ALOT . I CONTACTED YEASU FOR MAX TEMP WHICH IS NOT LISTED IN OWNERS MANUAL . IT 140 . I OPERATE IT ON BASE WITH NORMAL 5 WATT QSO IT WILL REACH TEMPS OF 115 EASY . AT HIGHER WATTAGE IT WILL REALLY GET HOT FAST AT NORMSAL QSO AT HIGH POWER HAD TO QUITE LET IT COOL OFF. BUT WITH SMALL CPU FAN MOUNTED UNDER IT ON BASE IT REALLY HELPS OUTS .NOT ENOUGH HEAT SINK ON RADIO ,, BUT THE REST OF RIG IS GREAT NO COMPLAINTS OTHER THAN HEATING UP ISSUE

AD5KL Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a replacement for my Kenwood TMV7 that finally bit the dust. The display was going to be costly to repair so I put it in the ole junk box. I have a Yaesu FT-50R that is built like a Sherman tank, so I bought this small Yaesu FT-1900R mobile to install in a Toyota Corolla.

With a 5/8 whip on the trunk I am able to work most repeaters with no problem, even on the lower power settings. I like the incremental power settings so I can experiment with range. I can also listen to public service since most are still on VHF, for now anyway. So it doubles as a mobile scanner for me.

Price was great ($139 after $20 off at Texas Towers) and I wanted something simple that I could control while keeping my eyes on the road. Controls are solid & display is easy to read. The programming software is definitely recommended. I can verify/update frequencies easily when the new directory comes out next year.