Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-1300 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS-1300
Ameritron ALS-1300 Reviews: 72 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $2,899
Description: HF No tune Amplifier, 1200 watt solid state w/switching PS
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-1300

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-1300.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2017 13:25 Send this review to a friend
MY FAULT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Start using the ALS1300 a quite 1200w amplifier in early 2016 after I traded off my Yaesu FT9000D an its matching amplifier because of back problems was having and could not sit in a chair for long periods of time. The ALS1300 served me well, until I decided to mod my 43' vertical in 2017 an added 43' of wire off the top to make the electrically 86' long, when testing the new antenna I made wiring mistakes then I manually powered the ALS1300 with no load on it. That took out 1 final from each bank, cost of repairs was $275 at Ameritron. They had to matched the new finals to the other finals all is well now, I have since changed the station too a lot simpler set up. I believe the ALS 1300 is a GREAT amplifier for the bucks and cost effective to repair.............kb6hrt

KE2TR Rating: 3/5 May 26, 2017 07:21 Send this review to a friend
OK amp but needs a 50ohm load  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the ALS 1300 for 1.5 years and after 3 months bought the extended warranty which was very smart on my part. I have owned more than a few Ameritron amps like an early AL1200 pre MFJ, AL1500 and AL80B. All those amps have been excellent value but if you want Alpha quality you need to spend more. The 1300 was easy to drive but what I found what was a pain is you needed to use different drive levels on different bands also unless you were going into a perfect 50 ohm load the amp was all over the place in its output and even with trying to get the remote switching box to work with the MFJ998 auto tuner it just never got it right. The nice thing about SS amps is no tune but they are not as forgiving as tube amps and the slightest amount of over driving will get the IMD creeping into the red zone. IMO the amp is a good 1Kw amp, nothing more and its a good thing I bought the extended warranty cause right after the factory warranty was up I just turned the amp on and it went south, didn't even transmit and for mosfets bit the dust. Ameritron fix the amp in 4 weeks time and good as new. After a few months I sold the amp and picked up an Acom 1000, yes I have to tune this amp but it loads into a 3:1 swr and is very well protected. I feel that both the 1300 and the 1306 are designs of the past, those costly mosfets with not so high reliability factors are kind of long in the tooth, there are much more rugged SS devices out now which they could use and cost about the same plus if they really want to be competitive they should offer either a matching auto tuner of one built in, sorry I cannot recommend this SS amp.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2017 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't Be More Pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initially, I wanted a big, hot, demanding legal limit tube amplifier... until I started comparing prices and considering all I've read lately about tube prices and reliability. I concluded that we've reached the point where solid state is cheaper dollar per watt than tube (except for perhaps the Ameritron AL 80B).

Several years ago, Ameritron/MFJ came out with the ALS 1300, 1200 watt no tune, solid state "near legal limit" amplifier. It had some initial issues that appear to have been corrected. To get out from under the 1300's bad reputation (partially, I think), Ameritron came out with the ALS 1306 which adds 6 meters and built in remote band switching. The ALS 1300 sits in the catalog as basically the same amplifier but costing $500 - $600 less than the 1306. Can I flip a band switch or do without 6 meters (and add a $30 10 meter kit). You betcha!

Got a great deal on an ALS 1300 at Hamvention 2017. So far, I am very pleased. Inspection of both the amp and power supply show good workmanship. Fit and finish were excellent (nice paint, reinstalling screws didn't require struggling with sheet metal). After installation, I hit it with 20 watts on 40 meters and got 600 out. I've had several QSOs this afternoon driving it with 40 and getting 1250 out. WOW! Tried it briefly on 80 and got 1KW out with 30 watts in. This is much better than two ALS 600s in a box (the 600 being notoriously low on 80 meter output).

So far, so good. I'll post an update if anything changes.

W8NWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2017 12:46 Send this review to a friend
ALS-1300 RETURNED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Returned form Ameritron and now working as advertised. They had it for 3 weeks.

W8NWN Rating: 1/5 Mar 11, 2017 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Failed the first week.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it for a week, it failed and HRO would not send me another one...Now its at Ameritron waiting on finals.........??????so sad.

N2PD Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2016 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is a bit premature because I only just got the amp on line, but I wanted to relate my experience with Ameritron. I purchased the ALS-1300 from HRO (their service is always great) and set it up for testing. Well, the amp never got past the dummy load test. It died and showed no voltage on HV2. I called Ameritron and spoke with Mike in tech support. He shipped me a new unit that very day and included a prepaid return label to ship the defective unit back. Now that is first class tech support! The new unit arrived in a few days and is working beautifully. I will leave a more in-depth review of its functionality after I have more experience with it. The fact that the original unit was defective doesn't concern me. It was the after the fact support that I feel needs applauding. Thanks Mike!!

KO2LA Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2016 17:44 Send this review to a friend
As advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned about one year. Works as it should with no problems. I run it on 120v and have seen 1500w if driven with 100w. Ameritron was helpful telling me how to switch the xformer taps for 120v operation. All that's required is moving four wires(no soldering) and installing higher amperage fuses. I'm told my signal is clean. Would not hesitate to buy another.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 18:23 Send this review to a friend
GOOD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brough a ALS600S in Oct of last year It worked GREAT but needed a little more on 160m. I stepped
up to the ALS1300 about a week ago because of the good luck I had with the ALS600S. Once I got the ALS1300 dialed in good on 160m now using it remote an it works as it should, 1200+ watts on a peaks with 75w drive on 160m. For 160m using a compermise shortened dipole antenna 82' long fed with 450 ohm LL it works 160-17m with out any problems, the extra S unit is doing the job.............73s............kb6hrt

VE7DPD Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2016 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Blowing FETs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my ALS1300 for almost 2 years. During this period, I have been quite happy with it's performance. However during the K1N DX'ing, I blew one of the final FETS, which shorted. I didn't know what I did, but Ameritron was very good at getting me the part. Another Ham friend, who has the same amp has had a power supply failure in the past and suggested I was driving it too hard. Ok, I turned the power down to 80%. Durning the VP8STI DX'ing, I blew another FET, but this time I realized what I did. I changed bands with everything tuned on 30M RTTY and switched to 40M and removed my AT2K tuner out of circuit. When I returned to 30M, I keyed up without the tuner in circuit and the VSWR Led and the PA Led came on and the power supply shut down. So, Higher VSWR and Hi Power don't mix with this amp. The VSWR circuit does not react fast enough to shut down the amp. So beware! Make sure your loaded into a good load before transmitting. Just a word of caution! :-)

KE4KMG Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned since 2012 and love it, great for DXing or ragchewing. Power output is great on all bands. Have not had any problems. I would recommend it to anyone!