Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | EBC 144jr Help

Reviews Summary for EBC 144jr
EBC 144jr Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $599.95
Description: Made by the Emergency Beacon Corporation, this was one of the first 2 meter synthesized rigs available.

You can write your own review of the EBC 144jr.

N3IBX Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Great collector type of 2M FM Tranceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my EBC-144jr for 25+ years and it still is in working condition. That has to say something about the build of this interesting radio. No, it's not the most sensitive nor selective 2M FM rig out there, but if you take into account it has two VFO's and one priority channel it is pretty advanced for it's day. I actually consider it fun to operate and use on the band. When you tell people what it is hardly anyone remembers them or knows what it is, a true oddity among synthesized 2M FM tranceivers. If this were 1976, I'd have to give it a 5, but since it's almost 40 years old I have to give it a 4 for a rating. Good, but not perfect. Even still, you can have hours of fun operating it and everyone who hears it on the air wnats to know more about it and when it was made, etc.
For a very inexpensive purchase price you can have a rig you can really use on th eair and it's adaptable to a PL board as well.
N9OO Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2009 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great American Made Early Synthesized 2M FM Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many different flavors of this transceiver were made. I'd be interested if anyone has ever seen the big brother EBC-144. Was it vaporware or did they actually make a few prototypes that might have been operational. See my review page at:

I own several of these. EBC is still in business, but only make real "emergency beacon" transmitters today.