Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Gonset Communicator Help

Reviews Summary for Gonset Communicator
Gonset Communicator Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $289.50
Description: 6 or 2 meter AM transceiver

You can write your own review of the Gonset Communicator.

KA2AYR Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2010 11:36 Send this review to a friend
My first 2 meter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a "Gonkulator" (Gonset Communicator II) as my first VHF rig in the late 70's. I had a box of crystals and was able to call CQ and then tune around for other stations calling me back on a different frequency. Eventually I pieced together a varactor modulator and modified a Heathkit VFO to replace the crystal. My first solo repeater contact resulted in me sweeping through the repeater input trying to find the passband. This resulted in a call from the trustee asking not to use the repeater until I got a proper FM radio. I continued to use it in AM until about 1980. The receiver tuned images from aircraft band throughout 2 meters, so listening to airplanes was fun, too. I also had a yellow Civil Defense one for 220 MHz (I never heard or talked to anyone on it). Today, I would buy one in good condition as a nostalgic collector's piece, and to show my kids, but I would not spend more than $20 for it and I wouldn't expect anyone to talk to if I called CQ. If you do get one, and unless you have a buddy with a similar radio, don't expect much (any?) AM activity on 2 meters. This is not an FM rig and you can't effectively use it on a repeater, so _know_what_you're_buying_! You will also need a box of (big, probably not made anymore) crystals or a VFO. Remember to protect today's satellite, digital, weak signal, and repeater subbands. Otherwise, this is what a real radio feels like. Complete with a green monster eye for tuning (yes, kids, tuning!) and flushing transmit lever. Wow!