Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1500M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1500M
Yaesu FT-1500M Reviews: 180 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $229
Description: This is the new Yaesu FT-1500M Mono-band 2 Meter mobile radio. 50 watts out, MH-48 mic, CTCSS encode + decode, DTMF encode + decode, 130 memories, 1200-9300 Packet ready (connector on back), Backlit display, and most other bells and whistles you would come to expect from Yaesu (including SmartSearch, Clock Shift, ect.).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft1500m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1500M.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Further adventures  Time owned: more than 12 months
I probably reviewed this years ago. Still have two, got them cheap when they were discounted. One for fast deploy removable mobile, one for base station. Only issue over the years, the vinyl jacket on one mic cord pulled out of the plug and split. So I got one of the hi qual. US sold ebay aftermarket cables, not the Chinese things. Worth the greater cost. Only downsides are heating in extended Hi pwr, and tinny speaker. Both radios used with better speakers and not run as much at highest pwr, not needed here usually. Don't know if pgm. software works with W7 or later. Mine are still not for sale! Radios themselves aways have worked, no hiccups or fixes. Put rubber washers under the knobs if you find them too easy to jar accidentally off settings, esp. volume.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Long time performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't even know how long I have had this little rig. Suffice to say, it is the consummate 2M radio. It does everything asked of it. I don't even use software to program it. Simple and quick. I did have problems with the mic cable losing the outer shell, but that is what Scotch 33 is for. This is a rock solid rig that is indestructible. Too bad Yaesu discontinued it. It's a keeper.

KD5SFA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio since I got my ticket in 2002. It has been in my truck hidden in the center console to base to other vehicles and now is used on my ATV for off road use or RACES/Pubic service events. It keeps going and under some harsh conditions. It is basically bulletproof. Simple, compact, does everything you need a 2m rig to do. As I will be putting a dual bander on the ATV, this radio will become part of my go-kit. I wish they made it in a UHF version...then I'd run both on the ATV.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2013 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Works great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio from a HamRadio friend. The radio is great, easy to operate. It's really small and fun to use. I give it a 4 because the microphone cable broke like my other Yaesu radios.

KH7QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 09:20 Send this review to a friend
A Little More Love for the FT-1500  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago I wrote a positive review of this model, and want to affirm it's continued reliability.

When Yaesu came out with this model, I purchased two of them. A few years later, I sold one because it wasn't be used. That was a mistake. I recently found another one here on the classifieds of eHam and snapped it up.

They are reasonably simple to program, and provide one of the smallest footprints of any VHF radio on the market. The mounting system provides a greater potential of creative installation possibilities not found in other radios. All of my cars have been smaller, so a full-size 2 meter rig was often difficult to utilize.

The built in speaker has somewhat of a small sound, but entirely listenable. It's always possible to utilize a remote speaker for better audio. I've not experienced the problem some have with the cord that falls apart. Perhaps it's an issue with leaving it in the sun and exposure to ultraviolet rays.

Summary: This is one of those rigs that was designed and built right. One wishes that we could see more simplicity and reliability like this instead of feature laden complicated radios.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2012 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great DSTAR Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT1500 has a 6 pin miniDIN port that can do 9600 baud. Add a STAR Board, a laptop, and it can act as a DSTAR HOT Spot. Add a DV Dongle and it can act as a 50watt Vhf DSTAR radio, not even being ICOM. Imagine, using a 15 year old radio as a DSTAR radio! Still have some running as APRS Digi's for years. Now, another use for the fine little brick.

M0KRL Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Proof  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it mobile and in the shack, simple menu, even simpler design, the ultimate in bomb proof design.
I would recommend this to anyone who needs a monoband radio.

Karl, M0KRL

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2011 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Great fm radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for a few years now and it's given me great service, from mobile chats to winning the fm section of a 2m contest,,, no complaints, menu is easy, memmory inputs are easy, 5/5

W9TAM Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2011 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid radio, great for APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first radio I owned, purchased from a friend shortly after I got my ticket in '04. I needed a small radio to mount under the dash in my tiny '97 Nissan Sentra, and this fit the bill. I used it as my mobile rig for nearly 4 years (until I bought a new car and a Kenwood TM-D700A to go in it), and now it has been repurposed as a 2m base in my shack.

As a mobile, I had it almost exclusively doing APRS with a TinyTrak, and it always ran like a champ. The mini-DIN connector in the back is very convenient for use with a TNC. Sure, it gets a little warm at 50W - just keep it ventilated and don't touch it!

For a compact and rugged radio, it's still tough to beat this one. If you see a used one, grab it!

KD5PNT Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 15:06 Send this review to a friend
wonderful performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
was my first 2 metre rig when I got the tech license in 2001 . used it in the 96 ranger PU until I traded it in 04 . never had any problems with it until today except the mike cord outer jacket fell apart . the truck was a real beater too , even on the highway it was like riding a bronc . don't know why yaesu discontinued it . would buy another if I can find one anywhere except ebay . will have this one repaired rather than replacing it