Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1500M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1500M
Yaesu FT-1500M Reviews: 180 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $229
Description: This is the new Yaesu FT-1500M Mono-band 2 Meter mobile radio. 50 watts out, MH-48 mic, CTCSS encode + decode, DTMF encode + decode, 130 memories, 1200-9300 Packet ready (connector on back), Backlit display, and most other bells and whistles you would come to expect from Yaesu (including SmartSearch, Clock Shift, ect.).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/ft1500m.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1500M.

AA4AN Rating: 3/5 Feb 17, 2011 12:05 Send this review to a friend
What's up with the disintegrating mic cable?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these radios. I bought all three about 10 years ago. They all work great, and are built like a tank. Great TX and RX audio. Plenty of power to work local and distant repeaters or simplex. NOAA WX channel scanning is nice. That's the good.

The bad is 1. in hot WX the LCD readout turns black. No big deal if you keep the AC running. But be sure to park your car in the shade or in the garage if you want to use the radio before the interior of your car cools down.

2.Like all menu driven Yaesu's they are a pain to program without the manual - which I hate. I own the programming software but it does not work on newer PC's... I gotta keep my old 486 machine handy just in case.

And worst of all 3. All three of my 1500's mic cables are disintegrating. The "rubber" if you will, has deteriorated to the point that it is mostly just bare wires. I thought it might be because of being exposed to the elements in a mobile situation, but I have one in the house that I use for data comm, and I just pulled the unused "new" mic out of the box and it has also deteriorated. The MH-48 mic is a fairly universal mic used on several Yaesu models. I wonder if anyone else has this problem? I have mobile mics that are 30 years old and never had this problem.

W9SAS Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2009 18:12 Send this review to a friend
She's A Brick ... House  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig eschews gadgetry for pure meat and potatoes. In temporary installations, I've kicked this radio around the floor of many mobiles for years. It always works. Rx and Tx are always flawless. No fans to clog up with dirt and get noisy. Overheating is not a problem if you keep it out of direct sunlight. No menu selectons for range transponders or similar cruft that interest only 1% of us. Just solid 2m radio performance. So much so, that I've relegated this radio to my test bench as a reference radio for various 2m experiments, where I need a radio I can depend on.

Unless you absolutely need UHF in addition to VHF, buy one of these if you ever encounter one for sale. Mostly, you won't.

- 73s Steve (W9SAS)

KF6UME Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2009 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof, solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this model for about 7 years mobile. It's never failed, never lost memory, never over heated and never needed repair. The buttons aren't backlit, but I never needed to program the radio at night. The fully functional MH-48 microphone IS backlit and interfaces well with the radio. I just upgraded to a 7800R in my Jeep, so this was uninstalled. I'll never sell it though, since it is such a great performer.

KG4OXA Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2009 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, not so Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio part is solid. Despite no fan, it never gets even uncomfortably warm using my non-tuned through-the-glass mobile antenna and long full power rag-chew. My audio quality is good, and all the reports I have received are excellent. The display is minimalist, but simple and clear. No complaints there. Kudos for alphanumeric. The black look is sleek and nice.

The main problem is that after a few years, my microphone cable disintegrated, as in, it's just literally rotting and falling apart, and the replacement is $$$. My friend who bought the same unit had his microphone cable fail within a few years as well. Also, while the case seems like you could drive a truck over it, the tuning and volume knobs are on flimsy plastic rods, and the first to go -- as also happened to my friend, and mine are wobbly too. The buttons on the unit are not backlit, so unless you remember what they are you're stuck in a dark vehicle.

Finally, as usual in this kind of gear, you'll need the manual handy to decipher what button to press or hold for how long in what mode to make things happen. Programming is a PITA without the optional cable and software. That being said, it has all the functions one might want.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2009 04:05 Send this review to a friend
awsome rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
when i first got into ham radio in Aug 2001, i wish i kept it i knew nothing about aprs the more i learn about aprs now i wish i have had kept the rig. i plan on find at hamfest and use it for aprs.these rig where AWSOME !!!!

N5ZTPN5ZTP Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 21:44 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
i just bought my 2nd one. had one a few years back and thought i could do better, WRONG.i have had many 2 meter radios since 92 and this is the best.

N0VKG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Built as a tank, very tough radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT-1500M since about 2001. It is built like a tank. It is so tough. Wow, yeasu, you made a tough radio for hamradio. Most of them like ALINCO, ICOM, KENWOOD and YAESU build mobile radios that are full of features, but do not have the toughness to handle extreme mobile situations. This radio reminds me of the tough radios used by the military and public safety agencies. Most hamgear is feature rich, but usually clumsy and built of plastic and can usually break in an instant if dropped or subjected to shock or other real world conditions. I am shocked that Yaesu stopped production of this very well built tank of a radio. I love using the programming software with it. The radio's built-in menu programming system is primitive and alittle bit of a hassle if you are going to fill every programmable memory position using the included Speaker/Mic keypad. The programming software is the best way to do it. The software is not perfect, but does get the job done. I would never think about putting my FT-1500M on ebay or on sale at any hamfest. It is among the best radios I have ever owned. Its tough shell ensures that if I ever accidentally subject it to serious stress, it should come thru fine. I wish all hamgear was built as tough as the FT-1500M was. Shame on Yaesu for discontinuing this 2m TANK radio.

9M6WST Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2009 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Small Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fantastic small rig I owned for 7 years. Still performs well with 50 Watt RF power. Install in car for mobile. Heats up easily when use but cools very fast too.

K2CD Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 12:50 Send this review to a friend
6 yrs of mobile service and still going strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This fantastic little radio is still working perfectly after being in the mobile through 6 years (175,000+ miles on the odometer) of NE Pennsylvania summers and winters. Removed it yesterday in preparation of a change of vehicles. It cleaned up beautifully with nary a mark or blemish on it anywhere. Put it on the watt meter and RF power output is dead on at all levels. I expect this radio will easily last another 6 years. If you can find one in good condition, I highly recommend it. Hard to beat for reliability.

W5AJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2007 22:23 Send this review to a friend
fine two meter mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have several. Used mobile and one was setup in house. Never a problem. Bought the PC programming cable / software.
Just a powerful SMALL unit.
Why would Yaesu quit making such a fine unit?