Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 3K Premier Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 3K Premier
Henry 3K Premier Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $3,695
Description: Heavy duty console 160-10M w/WARC, QSK, 3CX1200 tube, instant
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Henry 3K Premier.

KF4TOH Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2015 22:02 Send this review to a friend

WITH A HENRY 3K PREMIER ...IT WILL FIND ANY WEAK LINKS ! AND SMOKE EM

4500 VDC PS @ 1+ AMP VAC RELAY VERY QUIET FAN
TOTALY STOCK NEVER HAD ANY WORK DONE
200 LBS

NOT MY FIRST HENRY BUT THIS ONE IS A KEEPER TILL I SK !

YB0ABB Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2007 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Sterling Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 3K Premier (3CX1200A7) in 1999 from Radio Dan who arranged shipment to me in Indonesia. I ran the amp into an Cushcraft X9 at around 2KW output. I drove the amp from an FT1000MP MKV using Class A output. The result was an extremely clean signal.

The amplifier is extremely well built but it is much heavier than you'll probably imagine. There is no way to seperate the RF Deck from the Powersupply. Even two people will struggle to move it upstairs if you have any.

The amp has provided excellent service and ran full output for CQWW in 2000. 48 Hours non stop and was not much hotter than body temp at the end of the contest.

Full QSK and all HF.

The downsides

:High Q which means you need to keep a hand on the TUNE as move frequency. The good news in a contest is that you will own the frequency.

:The roller inductor can come of the endstops if you spin the roller a bit fast. Just learn to be more carefull.

:If you have flucuation in mains voltage (because it is direct heated) you will sensitivty in the gain. This is a problem in some far flung parts of the world.

I have now shipped the amplifier across the world and it's still fine.

K5TR Rating: 3/5 Sep 21, 1999 14:15 Send this review to a friend
3K Premier - good but not great.  Time owned: unknown months
I had a Henry 3K Premier floor model amp. It worked pretty well for the most part.
I did have several problems with the power supply. I never did like the way this amp
tuned - it uses a variable inductor and fixed caps on the bandswitch and it seemed I could
just keep tweeking and tweeking and find places that it appeared to be tuned up but it
took forever to find the right one. Also it was very sensitive to changes in operating
frequency esp on 80 - I would move 10 Khz down the band and have to re-touch the amp because I would loose 300 watts or more output. I got to where I was riding the inductor on
the low bands - not a good... I have to say that for the size and weight and price the Amerition
AL-1500 that replaced it is a MUCH better amp.

W7RF Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 1999 01:28 Send this review to a friend
160-10M, QSK, loads into high SWR, very rugged & r  Time owned: unknown months
I have a 3K Premier that I just LOVE! Very rugged and reliable using a 3CX1200A7 and 4400VDC power supply. No "toy" tubes used here! When you're tired of weak desktop amplifiers or overpriced amps using 4 watt grid tubes (3CX800A7 is only 4 watt grid dissipation!), it's time to treat yourself to the very best. The Henry family still owns and operates all aspects of the factory and they still use the parts that made them famous!
I have a Force 12 C4XL antenna that has high SWR (up to 5:1 on 40M SSB as it is tuned for low CW) on certain bands and I don't need a tuner at all! Just load it up and go.
Your kids don't need all that you've saved for inheritance, treat YOURSELF!