Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ 283K Ear-Vibration Speaker/Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 283K Ear-Vibration Speaker/Microphone
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: Ear-Vibration Speaker / Microphone for Noisy environments
More info: http://mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-283K

You can write your own review of the MFJ 283K Ear-Vibration Speaker/Microphone.

W5AOX Rating: 1/5 Jun 3, 2009 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Evidently this product is so new no one else has purchased or reviewed it yet. I could find NO reviews on it so I blew forty-something for shipping and the item and it was NOT a good buy.
I got it for use on my bicycle-mobile setup, using a Kenwood TH-D7 for APRS and voice. I've used in-ear microphones in years past and got good results, and MFJ advertises "Superb audio!" so I bought it. I have had NOTHING but terrible low and muffled non-audible transmit audio from the very first. Not only that but the silicone molded earpiece does not fit my ear well and there is no other method of using it other than just inserting it in your ear and hoping it will stay.
It probably should come with a selection of silicone ear-mold plugs to fit various shapes and sizes of ears. This one will bobble right out of my ear almost immediately and I continually have to reach up to my ear and poke it back in just before it falls out or plug it back in after it's already dangling. The ONLY good thing about this device is the separate PTT switch with velcro strap that allows you to attach the PTT button right next to your grip on the handlebar so you can key the radio without taking your hand(s) off the handlebars. I plan to cannibalize this velcro/switch on to another MFJ earpiece with separate boom mike that DOES result in good transmit audio - but lacks a usable PTT arrangement for the bike.
Even holding the earpiece in my ear with one hand results in the same complaints about my transmit audio: "Extremely low audio, muffled, and garbled, hard to understand."
Don't try this one, take it from me. You won't like it.