Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-80AD D-Star ready 144/440 MHz HT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-80AD D-Star ready 144/440 MHz HT
Icom IC-80AD D-Star ready 144/440 MHz HT Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $449
Description: The IC-80AD can transmit and receive D-STAR format digital voice and 950
bps* data communication, simultaneously. Analog FM mode is also available.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-80AD D-Star ready 144/440 MHz HT.

N8NNX Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 05:30 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom did this one right. I think it is a bit costly compared to the other d-star hts. Without the dual rx and the dot-matrix display I thought it would be alot cheaper. It is nice that Icom is giving away free cloning software so you can clone your ic800 and your 80ad to the same frequencies for easy programming.

I have owned the 91ad, and the 92ad, and with those they have their short falls. The 91ad needed some improvements and the 92ad got them but has the display issues. The 80ad is the best yet.
KB8WDV Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2009 21:23 Send this review to a friend
good dstar entry radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a id800 dstar.I see many improvements in this generation.easier to program.more memories,Its nice to have the lithium ion battery.other improvements are small but welcome.I am looking forward to getting a Id 880.
NX8P Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2009 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought the IC-80AD a couple of weeks ago. I haven't owned an ICOM HT since they manufactured the 2AT quite a few years ago. I've used an Alinco DJ 580 for quite a few years and thought it was time to upgrade. Overall, I like the IC-80AD. The construction is solid, nice big display, lots of memory channels (I'll never use all of them), nice audio, power output is good and the size is just right. I thought that maybe I should have invested the additional dollars in the 92AD since it is a full-time dual bander. Although, I never did utilize full dual band use of my old HT so I think using that option may have limited applications (club use, satellites, etc.). Programming takes a little to get used to. You have to be in certain modes (VFO/memory) to get to some of the banks that I programmed. The scanning is fast and locks right on frequency. The broad band receive also works very well and if you connect it to an outside antenna obviously it pulls in signals much better. As for D-Star, I'm still learning how to set it up. You Tube has some good learning videos from ICOM one can check out. Overall, I like the IC-80AD. They even have a free software download for programming, but you will have to spring for another $50 for a cable. It is a very nice radio. It will be in my arsenal of HTs for a long time to come. I don't think you would go wrong buying the IC-80AD.