Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo
Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo vertical , 1/2 wave monoband for 10 meters
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AR-10 Ringo.

VK3PTT Rating: 0/5 Apr 15, 2009 19:50 Send this review to a friend
RUBBISH ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Each Tube of the Antenna had to be packed out to make it fit tight...

AI4SU Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 21:37 Send this review to a friend
SIGNAL PRODUCER & GOOD EARS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After using the antron-99 for over 10 years I finally decided to replace it with the Cushcraft AR-10.
First of all the instruction is easy to follow, user friendly and the figure pictures makes the assembly steps even more easy to follow. You can almost assemble this antenna just by looking at the figure pictures. I assembled this antenna in about 30 minutes. Once assembled it resemble the maco v 5/8 wave without the four radials elements.

The antenna produce a great TX signal and is very good for DX as well as local contacts because of its low angle radiation. The SWR is good across a wide section of the 10-meter band. ANOTHER GOOD THING I LIKE ABOUT THIS ANTENNA IS THAT IT HAS GOOD EARS. It can receive weak signals very well. So I rate this antenna to a 5.

For those who live in a high wind area, insert a fiberglass rod into the three bottom section of the antenna tubing. Make sure the rod have no breaks in it but is one piece that is the same length as the three bottom sections. This part of the antenna bends the most with strong wind. The fiberglass rod will give the antenna more strength to endure strong winds.

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical for 10  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna was given to me by a fellow amateur about 10 yrs ago. It sat for years in my garage till I decided to toss it up in the air for some 10 mtr. work. I mainly use it for working some local hams within 60 miles of me and it works great. It will dx quite nicely when the band is open and it has a reasonable swr curve allowing you to cover a nice slice of the rather large 10 mtr. band. I only had one minor problem with it which was easily fixed. The hardware that attaches the tuning rod to the center stud of the SO-239 utilizes a galvanized flat washer and stainless nut and lock washer. When this gets wet, the dissimilar metals react and cause a corrosion problem thus making the swr sky high. The simple fix is to clean up the corrosion and replace the flat washer there with a stainless one. Other than that its been a great working stick thats very light and it handles the winds very nicely.

K4JC Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid and reliable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine started life as an 11 meter Ringo (AR-11). It was mounted on the roof of a CB shop sometime in the 1970s. In 1993, long after the CB shop had become a beauty parlor, I walked in one day and asked if I could buy it. They said, "Take it down and it's yours!" Who could resist such an offer? After 15 or so years in the coastal Florida sea air it was still in pretty good condition. I disassembled the Ringo and cleaned it up with some steel wool. I also replaced the hose clamps, as well as the top cap with a plastic chair leg tip. I also made a new tuning stub. Reassembled the Ringo, tuned it to 28.400 MHz, and WOW! Great SWR, and worked the world with a Radio Shack HTX-100 and 25 watts. I kept the antenna for over 10 years before passing it on to another ham, who as far as I know still uses it. Not bad for a 30-plus year old antenna!

A previous poster took points off because the antenna isn't fiberglass. Who needs fiberglass? A few coats of clearcoat and you're good to go.

KD0AFM Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice antenna. Went together easy. Instructions were clear and concise. Mounted it on my chimney (had some doubts since the chimney has a metal cap and spark arrestor but it was the only workable place on my house). This puts the base of the antenna about 30 feet off the ground. I have a Kenwood TS120, the antenna is fed by 50 feet of RG8 through and MFJ 941E tuner. The antenna had a 1.2:1 without the tuner on the first try. E-skip was up the day of install. Made 4 contacts as I was checking the SWR! Very pleased with my purchase.

K5III Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2007 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used off ebay at a good price. It went together easy enough and surprisingly broadbanded. It would say it works well for what it is and a good performer but I can't honestly call it a 5 since I think a fiberglass antenna would be more durable Like other have commented, I haven't figured out what the open stub is for. Many of these have been up for years and it is a good antenna, well worth the investment.

N5MDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2007 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Works Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works good on 10 meters, can also be adjusted for 11m. SWR easy to adjust, make sure you put the tuning ring on correctly. Easy to put together. All parts were there, none missing. Nice 10m vertical, has held up real good. No issues. N5MDM

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2007 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my AR10 from someone who couldn't get it it work and had a high SWR. He ordered a different type of vertical (A99)? and gave the Ringo to me. It is very easy to place the tuning rod on the wrong side of the circle and after redoing it, my MFJ analyzer showed it right on with the 7 inch adjustment. Nice to have a DC grounded vertical just for 10 meter FM, 29.6 MHz. I work them all and if the band is open, Wow. Can't figure out what the open end coax stub does but I suppose it shortened the circle down?

KB2SMS Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2000 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent vertical antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the antenna last fall to replace a Mako that got damaged during an ice/wind storm a few years earlier. It was easy to assemble and is very low profile. Performs excellently, I've been all over the globe with it and have received excellent signal reports. I recommend the AR-10 to anyone just getting into 10m or needing a replacement vertical. I'm highly satisfied with mine!

N2JNZ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2000 09:36 Send this review to a friend
great antenna for small investment  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one in 1990 and been using it ever since !!!!...... 207 countries on 10 meters!!!
sturdy construction and easy to put up. Only 17 ft tall and very light. Low angle of fire for great DX performance. I've used power levels from 20 watts to 20 milliwatts and works as a monobander should. Seems to have quite a bit of gain over a dipole and takes up much less room !!! Work only QRP with my TT Argo 509 and if I can hear them I can work them !!!
Cant say much better than that!!!! Recommend it highly !!!!