Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | C. Crane CCRadio SWP Help

Reviews Summary for C. Crane CCRadio SWP
C. Crane CCRadio SWP Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Pocket sized AM/FM/Shortwave receiver.
More info: http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/ccradio-swp.aspx

You can write your own review of the C. Crane CCRadio SWP.

NA6LA Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2015 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but ergonomics not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
As far as reception goes, it's a small inexpensive radio and I'm happy it works as well as it does. The memory management is awkward, but like anything if you use it all the time you figure it out. I don't use this radio very often so I'm always on the learning curve. Now, the main reason I don't use this radio more often? The volume controls. I do a lot of late night listening in bed, usually with ear buds. The volume controls on this radio are digital and consist of up and down buttons. The increments between each level are way too wide. The lowest is too low and the next is too loud. I can never get a comfortable and usable volume level. Even for outside use I find the steps too wide. Whatever else it's good or bad points are, this seemingly simple minor issue kills it for me. This was an orphan purchase which means it was a returned unit, so maybe this is not characteristic of them all.

SAILCAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Punches Above Its Weight  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm going to give this little guy a five star rating primarily because it is loaded with features not commonly found on radios its size (including 200 presets), it has impressive sensitivity, and its audio is very respectable. It is relatively inexpensive, as well. If you are expecting Panasonic RF-2200 performance from a tiny, pocket-sized radio then you will be disappointed. If, however, the goal is to find a small, extremely portable radio with solid sensitivity and sound, the CCRadio-SWP will satisfy you and your wallet. Two thumbs, way up!

KWDAVIDS Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2012 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Good for its size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is not a radio I normally use, but I got it out and spent some time on it, and compared it to another $50 radio, the Tecsun PL-380 that's a little bigger.

Shortwave is on par with the Tecsun and AM is noticeably better in sensitivity. This good performance is in sharp contrast to FM that just plain sucks. I could listen to lovely music on the Tecsun and the C. Crane just had some jibberish (even with reduced sensitivity setting). I would rate FM unacceptable for any class of radio.

The C. Crane is smaller than you might expect and the audio through the internal speaker is quite pleasing even at full volume (albeit not all that loud). I read reviews at the Crane site that said you had to be an engineer to operate the radio, but I was able to tune the radio, set the clock, store and retrieve memory presets without even reading the manual (and I'm one that can't figure out some radios even with the manual).

There were some human factor problems that might be irritating over time:

1. Buttons had to be pressed more firmly than expected to work. Frequencies had to be entered multiple times.
2. The dial light can only be turned on manually and it won't stay on. It doesn't turn on automatically when you operate a key or tune.
3. Shortwave is in two non-continuous bands. If you're on one band, you have to band switch to get tot he other, even though it's direct frequency entry.
4. You have to hit an extra key to tell the radio you're going to enter a frequency.
5. No long wave or SSB.
6. No bandwidth setting. There is a tone control.
7. No external antenna connector

Except for FM, it's a good radio and its small size makes it well-suited for travel. However, if all I had to spend was $50 and I could only have one radio, this is not the one I'd pick. I'd go with the Tecsun.

AMDXWA Rating: 3/5 Oct 31, 2011 20:23 Send this review to a friend
A Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought this little radio, I wanted to see if this radio was worth all the hype that C. Crane Company had been talking about. So here is my review:

Pros:

1: Awesome audio.
2: Great Local/DX selectivity switch... (See cons).
3: Lock feature. (See sons)
4: 200 memories.
5: 12 or 24 hour time and alarm feature
6: 9 or 10 KHz selection. (see sons)
7: Fair Shortwave reception (see cons)

Cons:

1: Tedious Audio controls makes it hard to turn up volume.
2: Only covers certain portions of the Shortwave frequencies.
3: Does not cover Longwave Band .
4: DX Switch on FM tends to not to work as well in urban areas. (But great in rural areas though)!
5: To lock or unlock, you have to press the lock button hard to lock or unlock the radio.
6: The Time, 9 and 10 KHz selections can only be accessed when the radio is off.
7: No upper or lower single side band.
8: No wide or narrow switch for AM or Shortwave.
9: Shortwave and AM prone to electrical interference which prevents hearing International and local broadcasts.

Final Thoughts:

This radio is good for travel or for home. This radio is worth the money for those on a budget, but for serious DXer's I would suggest a more expensive radio that provides more features. The CC Radio-SWP is a radio is good to have, but those who likes better features should look over reviews for current models being sold and see which radio is best for you!

KA7EII Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2009 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice for a radio in this class.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For it's size and price, this is a pretty decent radio. It covers Shortwave in two bands from 2300-7500KHz and 9200-22000KHz, AM (MW) from 520-1710KHz and FM from 70-108MHz. It has 200 memories and direct frequency entry via the keypad. Selectivity is not the greatest and you will hear some images as this is a single conversion receiver. Using the built in whip antenna, I have no problem listening to the stronger broadcast stations like Radio Australia, China Radio International, WWCR etc. Seems to work a bit better than a Kaito KA11 that I also have.

Pros:
200 memories. You can use main dial to tune through memory channels.
Sleep timer and alarm function.
Small.
Runs a long time on two AA batteries.
Cons:
Hard to adjust volume control at lower levels.
Selectivity could be a bit better.
Main dial only tunes in 1KHz steps on AM and Shortwave.

Overall, I am very happy with this little radio. No, it is not a super DX receiver but for the price and the size of the radio I am very satisfied.

KA7EII - Rocky.