Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-50 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-50
ICOM SM-50 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$$$ SHOP AROUND
Description: NEW ICOM DESK MICROPHONE IC-SM50

This NEW high performance base microphone

FOR IC-7800/7700/7600/7200/756PROIII/7400/910.
FOR IC-706/703/7000 WITH OPC-589 Adapter
More info: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/sm50-dynamic-desk-microphone-with-flexible-neck-p-6300.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-50.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 15:18 Send this review to a friend
i use up-down buttons  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I acquired the SM-50, because I must use (due to handicap)the up-down buttons when varying the frequencies on my ic-7200. Operate only CW and digital/do not use the SSB mode.

In the near future, I may try to use the SSB mode ?

Ken KC8Y

WB9DZS Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2017 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great audio, but susceptible to vibrations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I loved this microphone in comparison to Icom-HM36 hand mic that came with my Icom IC-9100. I later realized that when I turned on my Alpha 374 amplifier, the vibrations from the fan picked up by my desk caused a high noise level on this mic. I resolved the issue by building a pad of mic base, by using two 6" x 6" x 1/8" rubber pads purchase in the plumbing section a Lowes and placing a couple sheets of 1/8" pipe insulation between the rubber pads. I also put rubber feet on the Alpha Amp. The cushioning of the mic base substantially reduced the noise level from the amp vibration to the desk. Also, the Low Cut filter on the mic does the job, but did not want to limit the audio. I took me hours to figure out the noise came from the vibration of the amp, and not the just the background blower noise.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 06:14 Send this review to a friend
A good mic nice audio reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Run with my new IC7700 and I am getting excellent reports, some stations actually ask what I am using audio wise. A bit lighter than I thought it would be but still very stable on the desk. I think this will remain in my shack for a long while.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
needed up/down switchesaced old mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Obtained SM-50 a few weeks ago. Because of handicap, required large UP/DOWN switches (SM-30 had none). Love the microphone, too :)

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2016 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this mic a few weeks ago to replace my SM-30 which worked fine but I just wanted a bigger footprint mic... and the SM-50 is much bigger.. I have found it to work great and have not found the noise a lot of guys have complained about on this mic.. I love it .. get great Audio reports from most everyone I work...

73's Frank.. N5WJ

N1GMV Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good but not perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I get great compliments but not giving it 5 stars and here is why. Clunk when you key, it's not aweful bad but why is it there? I have it connected to a 7600 and in the rig I bumped the treble 2 notches and the bass 1 notch and run at 3khz. I then backed off the level on the bottom of the microphone a bit so the alc would run normal when radio mic gain is centered.
I then opened the bottom and on all sides of the inside base of the microphone I applied small strips of Dynamat I also added some cotton wadding up the gooseneck so that it would cut some of the hollow sound. This helped eliminate some of the noise from my power supply and anything thumping the table. I also keep it on a mouse pad.

It seems every time I use my rig I get unsolicited compliemnts on the audio. I have had on a couple occasions a station to break in just to ask me what I am running.
Pretty happy with it so far but I do miss using a boom.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 08:39 Send this review to a friend
N0YXE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just ordered the SM50 as the SM30 that I have is a bit small. While waiting for my new mic I had a chance to use the original hand mic that came with my Icom 7200. Despite the negative remarks concerning this unit, I found that once I adjust the radio (no compression and 70 gain) this Icom product is first rate. The reports were fine and like all ICOM products, great quality, even if it was made in China. My Yaesu speaker mic for my HT (made in China) is total crap. Keep you original ICOM hand mic and use it as a spare. It works well.

M0OIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having just purchased the Icom IC-7100 I was very complementary about the rig but goodness the basic hand microphone! Why didn't Icom charge an extra £20.00 and supply a microphone that works, like the HM-151? We looked at other options but being so impressed with the IC-7100 we decided to purchase the SM-50. My wife 2E1SIS prefers a desk mic and the rig will be used static more so than mobile.

We couldn't be happier with the SM-50, excellent quality of manufacture and quality of audio. Stations worked regularly have complemented us on the audio and those met face to face have confirmed that it sounds like me. I was advised by some of these chaps to throw the fist mic in the bin, but I will keep it in its box to sell on with the rig as never used.

I cannot speak highly enough about the SM-50 apart from the need to put a bit of sponge under to cut out the banging noise, base against desk top. I used non-slip mat and it is fine.

A pity that I had to spend another £200 on the microphone to have a rig that worked but we are happy that I did.

K3XT Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Microphone  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the SM50 on the IC7600 & PROII. Very good all around audio quality. With my voice I like to use the Low Cut button on the microphone that starts to cut at 200 Hz and lower. Leave the Low Cut off and you will have a lot of bass and can sound like NPR. Sounds good with the compressor on. I run in the IC7600 with treble +4 and bass +2, perfect. I have the internal microphone gain set half way and run the microphone gain on the radio at 10 o’clock. As with other reviews there is a click at times when using the PTT button. I run VOX most of the time so not a real issue. The up and down buttons are useful to change memories (the 5 channels) when on 60 meters. I give it a 5 despite minor flaws because I did have a Heil mic with a W2IHY box and in the end the SM50 sounded better with less complexity. I did not have any RFI audio issues with the SM50.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can see nothing wrong with this Microphone, well bit pricy, arn't they all, i get good audio reports from everyone i have spoke to, think the pot at the bottom is set a bit high for SSB as i have the control on the radio in the 9 O'clock position, on FM 2mts the radio mic control needs to be in the 2 o'clock position, not sure what that's all about, low cut button does what it says, lead is straight and not springy, i find that better, goose kneck seems ok, one thing i found was when it stood on the same table as the Heathkit SB 200 amplifier, it picked a lot of vibration up from the amp, and i saw about 25 watts on the watt meter without speaking, on ssb. If i hold it or sit it on my lap no problem, i still find with desk mics i have to talk fairly close to it to get the audio i want, people tell me it sounds better if i do that anyway,,i like it...Fred.