Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-50 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-50
ICOM SM-50 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$$$ SHOP AROUND
Description: NEW ICOM DESK MICROPHONE IC-SM50

This NEW high performance base microphone

FOR IC-7800/7700/7600/7200/756PROIII/7400/910.
FOR IC-706/703/7000 WITH OPC-589 Adapter
More info: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/sm50-dynamic-desk-microphone-with-flexible-neck-p-6300.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-50.

N1GMV Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good but not perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I get great compliments but not giving it 5 stars and here is why. Clunk when you key, it's not aweful bad but why is it there? I have it connected to a 7600 and in the rig I bumped the treble 2 notches and the bass 1 notch and run at 3khz. I then backed off the level on the bottom of the microphone a bit so the alc would run normal when radio mic gain is centered.
I then opened the bottom and on all sides of the inside base of the microphone I applied small strips of Dynamat I also added some cotton wadding up the gooseneck so that it would cut some of the hollow sound. This helped eliminate some of the noise from my power supply and anything thumping the table. I also keep it on a mouse pad.

It seems every time I use my rig I get unsolicited compliemnts on the audio. I have had on a couple occasions a station to break in just to ask me what I am running.
Pretty happy with it so far but I do miss using a boom.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2014 08:39 Send this review to a friend
N0YXE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just ordered the SM50 as the SM30 that I have is a bit small. While waiting for my new mic I had a chance to use the original hand mic that came with my Icom 7200. Despite the negative remarks concerning this unit, I found that once I adjust the radio (no compression and 70 gain) this Icom product is first rate. The reports were fine and like all ICOM products, great quality, even if it was made in China. My Yaesu speaker mic for my HT (made in China) is total crap. Keep you original ICOM hand mic and use it as a spare. It works well.

M0OIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having just purchased the Icom IC-7100 I was very complementary about the rig but goodness the basic hand microphone! Why didn't Icom charge an extra £20.00 and supply a microphone that works, like the HM-151? We looked at other options but being so impressed with the IC-7100 we decided to purchase the SM-50. My wife 2E1SIS prefers a desk mic and the rig will be used static more so than mobile.

We couldn't be happier with the SM-50, excellent quality of manufacture and quality of audio. Stations worked regularly have complemented us on the audio and those met face to face have confirmed that it sounds like me. I was advised by some of these chaps to throw the fist mic in the bin, but I will keep it in its box to sell on with the rig as never used.

I cannot speak highly enough about the SM-50 apart from the need to put a bit of sponge under to cut out the banging noise, base against desk top. I used non-slip mat and it is fine.

A pity that I had to spend another £200 on the microphone to have a rig that worked but we are happy that I did.

K3XT Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Microphone  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the SM50 on the IC7600 & PROII. Very good all around audio quality. With my voice I like to use the Low Cut button on the microphone that starts to cut at 200 Hz and lower. Leave the Low Cut off and you will have a lot of bass and can sound like NPR. Sounds good with the compressor on. I run in the IC7600 with treble +4 and bass +2, perfect. I have the internal microphone gain set half way and run the microphone gain on the radio at 10 o’clock. As with other reviews there is a click at times when using the PTT button. I run VOX most of the time so not a real issue. The up and down buttons are useful to change memories (the 5 channels) when on 60 meters. I give it a 5 despite minor flaws because I did have a Heil mic with a W2IHY box and in the end the SM50 sounded better with less complexity. I did not have any RFI audio issues with the SM50.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can see nothing wrong with this Microphone, well bit pricy, arn't they all, i get good audio reports from everyone i have spoke to, think the pot at the bottom is set a bit high for SSB as i have the control on the radio in the 9 O'clock position, on FM 2mts the radio mic control needs to be in the 2 o'clock position, not sure what that's all about, low cut button does what it says, lead is straight and not springy, i find that better, goose kneck seems ok, one thing i found was when it stood on the same table as the Heathkit SB 200 amplifier, it picked a lot of vibration up from the amp, and i saw about 25 watts on the watt meter without speaking, on ssb. If i hold it or sit it on my lap no problem, i still find with desk mics i have to talk fairly close to it to get the audio i want, people tell me it sounds better if i do that anyway,,i like it...Fred.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the SM-50 to use with my IC-7600

I got a report from a very well respected audio guru, he commented that the audio was superb, and even analysed the frequency response and confirming it was doing everything spot on, commenting that the mic is a perfect match to the radio, hitting all the sweet spots.

I even had a recording played back to me, and i was stunned by the audio quality.

Whilst having this qso, we had seven stations call in to compliment my audio, and a few 7600 owners saying "you must tell me the audio settings to make it sound that good". Much to their suprise i replied, its all default settings.

I can only make the clunking sound from the ptt when i try and do it deliberatly by pressing it down hard, in normal use it just does not happen.

A super mic with excellent audio, what more would i want ?

Its a 5 from me !

G0UBX Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2011 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Audio but poor PTT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I brought one of these to use with my IC-7600. I personally think that the audio level is too high and the adjustment pot on the bottom too course. It was difficult to reduce the level to avoid the clonk when the PTT is pressed as suggested in other reviews. This clonk is a mechanical noise transmitted through the body of the microphone to the insert which is not insulated from the body of the microphone.

Half pressing the button stopped the clonk but means that you must stay very still or the PTT button moves about and this noise is then added to your audio.

This was my first Base Microphone, maybe I am being over critical but in the end I returned it to the shop and got my money back.

W9JH Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2011 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The SM-50 is very nice in several ways. I use this with an ICOM 7600. First the audio reports are outstanding…unsolicited comments like; ”your audio could not be better”!

I like the long flexible goose-neck which allows you to adjust the mic to a comfortable position on the desk.

Some reviewers have mentioned a ‘clunking’ sound in the transmitted audio when using the push-to-talk. That can occur if the built-in mic gain is set too high. Just crank back the amplified gain on the bottom of the mic and use your rig mic gain and you won’t have that problem.

This is one of the best desk mics out there...very well built.

Jack W9JH

KC2ZUL Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2011 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Good Quality, Overhyped perhaps?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new at HRO, the unit looks great and feels great as well. For my IC-7000, I had to buy the adapter cable, ($35 ouch, cheaper on Ebay).

Whenever I do tests with someone, they really can't tell the difference between the Icom handheld or the SM-50.

Was hoping to see a lot more difference, but the main reason I purchased it was to get something on the desk and to stop using the handheld. Mission accomplished. But this is not the super pro sound you might expect or hope for. Other than that it is a nice mike, albeit, expensive for what it is.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2010 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Own this SM-50 for 4 months and love it. My firends say my audio is crisper and less background noise meaning my son's tv with Clifford the Big red Dog and Curious George on PBS being re-broadcast in our QSOs. I sold the Sm-20 which picked up everything, even the telephone ringing which is 30 feet away in another room. Set the mic gain to 0 and it still picked it up. Looked at Heil, Audio Technica, etc. but went back and bought the Icom.