Reviews Categories | Microphones | ICOM SM-50 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-50
ICOM SM-50 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$$$ SHOP AROUND
Description: NEW ICOM DESK MICROPHONE IC-SM50

This NEW high performance base microphone

FOR IC-7800/7700/7600/7200/756PROIII/7400/910.
FOR IC-706/703/7000 WITH OPC-589 Adapter
More info: http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/sm50-dynamic-desk-microphone-with-flexible-neck-p-6300.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-50.

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 14:14 Send this review to a friend
New Icom Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the SM-50 with a 756PROIII and am pleased with it. Nice crisp sounding audio. I previously used an SM-20 which I sold. Overall, I like the SM-50 better than the SM-20. The microphone base is large, bigger than the model SM-8. The finish and quality are excellent.The adjustable goose neck on the SM-50 feels more natural on the desk than the SM-20. The SM-50 is a dynamic microphone vs the electret microphone in the SM-20. The SM-50 has lower output but plenty of drive for the newer Icom rigs. Comparing the sound of the two microphones, they sound quite similar. The SM-50 seems to be less sensitive in picking up background noises than the SM-20. The SM-50 feels like a redesigned SM-20 with a gooseneck. Overall it's an improvement, and I am happy with my purchase.

PA3GPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 06:30 Send this review to a friend
very good mic for icom rigs!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello everyone,i use this mic next to the HEIL PR 781,i like the sound much more better than the HEIL PR 781,it's more crisp full audio spectrum and a perfect fit to the ICOM rigs(7700&7000)the pr 781 is less sensetive,but not for RFI!!!that it will pick it up even after decoupling!!the sm 50 is loud and gives NO RFI signals to the trx,although some people likes the coffee dark sound of the pr 781,whitch the sm 50 doesn't have that very deep sounding sound.
Anyway,ICOM makes a good fit with the SM 50 ,try it on a ic 7000 you won't be dissappointed!.

HB9CVE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 13:09 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am running the SM-50 together with my radio ICOM 7700. The sound is perfect and I am getting just compliments from hams.I still have my old SM-20, but I prefering the SM-50. The "swan neck" is longer and so I feel more confortable in place of my SM20. Best 73 HB9CVE Andy

W6VA Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2009 21:59 Send this review to a friend
SM-8 Successor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very close to the SM-8 although bigger and more expensive. Has Low Cut filter which seems to improve the audio, up/down freq switch and mic gain control on bottom. A little larger and heavier than I would prefer but well made. I've had very good audio reports when used with my IC-7600. I wish they would put coiled cords on the desk mic's like they do on the hand mic's, makes for a cleaner installation. For value if you can find a clean SM-8 you'll save about 50% but the SM-50 is a worthy albeit pricier successor. Rated it a 4 due to larger size and larger price.

DO8WA Rating: 3/5 Aug 21, 2009 03:54 Send this review to a friend
fair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
in our daily ragchew we have 2 stations already with IC-7700 and SM-50. Both have a very noticeable "Flop" or "glock" noise when pressing the PTT. It doesnt come up when relaesing the PTT and of course not in VOX mode.
One tried to fix it with a piece of rubber between the housing and the PTT but it didnt help.
The tone of the Mic is OK, like Heil GM5.
Price in Europe is around €250,-

The decision is up to you - I wouldŽnt!
73, Alexander

NH2GE Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2009 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Microphone!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It sounds crisp, It can cut low freqs if you need it to. I only used the hand mic prior so naturally it outperforms that.

How does it stand up to other microphones? Don't know. I didn't buy them too. But I am not looking for another one; this one sounds good and works fine.