Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile
Jetstream JT220M  220 mhz 50 watt Mobile Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$239.95
Description: Jetstream JT220M is a full-featured 220 MHz FM transceiver with 50 watts and 100 memory channels.

Receive range is 216.000-280.000 MHz and transmit range is 222.000-224.995 MHz. CTCSS/DTS Encode/Decode is built-in plus tone burst. Other features include a time-out timer, auto power off. Both memory scan and band scan are available. Supplied with backlit DTMF hand mic. This radio requires 13.8 VDC at 9 amps. 5.7"W X 1.85"H x 7.5"D 5.7 lbs.

Features
Timer Out Timer
50/25/10 Watts
Backlit DTMF Microphone

More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jt220m.shtml

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile.

W6PMR Rating: 1/5 Jan 26, 2015 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Junk !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had two and both died. Used them both at the base
and they were not abused in any way.
I think I've had it with the Chinese radios

W2ROD Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2014 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Just got in to the 1.25 meter side of Ham.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Jetstream seems to do fine as a base unit in my shack. For an antenna I'm running a Cushcraft ARX-220B at 25 feet off the ground. This combination works great for me on
receiving and transmitting.I am however going to move the antenna over a little on my house for better propagation. Takes a little getting used to programming the radio and I suggest Chirp and a program cable to make life easier, However there are only 4 repeaters in my area so its pretty easy.Just for your info 223.500 is the national Simplex frequency for emergency's and usage.Over all its a good little radio, and I hope the bugs have been worked out of it that seemed to plague the first generation of these radios.

KY4JLB Rating: 3/5 Oct 13, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Low TX Power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from a local dealer less than one year ago and never hooked up because was using an Alinco DR-235T on base and decided to put a 220 rig in My Truck so got the Jetstream out of box and began program procedure and when finished I noticed about 8 watts out on My Bird 43 on low-mid-high settings although it showed on front of radio the power level as changing. I called Jetstream and they said ship it to them with sales receipt which I did. A new Jetstream arrived in 5 days! Good Customer Service! Leaving on base so can observe watt meter. I am unable to leave evaluation since have only used a week other than Customer Service was Great!! However I prefer the Alinco DR-235's

KA8OCN Rating: 2/5 Aug 25, 2012 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Volume Control Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig for 2 years now, Its always lived in the shack never mobile and the volume control is not going bad. Its either nothing or blasting me out of my chair.

I will have to see if there are parts available for it. Also when I received it (purchased new at Dayton) the contact on the board was not making contact for the center on the antenna connector. I fixed it and every was ok until now.

Back to Alinco I think

WB0YLE Rating: 3/5 Jul 7, 2012 14:31 Send this review to a friend
S'alright for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of them. One I picked up new from HRO in New Castle at the beginning of 2011, the other a couple weeks ago from a fellow OM who was selling his for a decent price.

Good points:

1. Put both on the bench, and adjusted the power to spec. Both were off. Both track what the manual says now (even though I run on reduced power...no need in the NY/PHL corridor to run 50w...you can hit the machines you need to hit with a wouxun, for criminy sakes.)

2. Styling. I think there's a factory somewhere that's producing all the LCDs for Alinco, JS, TYT, HYS, etc. They're all the same, just the backlighting is different. Makes it easy to figure out from radio to radio what it's doing.

3. Signal quality: well, not as good as a Batwing CDM 1550, but totally useable. Hey, it's not a CDM 1550 price tag, either, but it sounds just fine.

4. Mics, power cords, etc all swap between KW, Alinco, Jetstream, etc. Pretty standard; I've used my JS hand mic on my TS-480 no problem, and use my MC-60 on the Jetstream and Alinco when they're in the shack. Gotta love it.

The Bad:

1. The software SUCKS. It reads my radios just fine...but then try and pour the new data back in and it gets about 3% through, and says it can't find the radio on the USB cable. WTH?

2. If you have any RF leakage (loose PL connector, radio too close to the antenna, phases of the moon...the display will do strange and wondrous things. You would think they figured out how to RF shield things, but maybe not.

3. You shouldn't have to put it on the bench when you get it to check power out, modulation and deviation levels, etc. While I'm lucky to have a service bench and access to a commercial shop to check these things out, you would think that R&L (DBA Jetstream USA) would at least do a quick check...but, then again, maybe not. Just deal with it and move on.

4. The missing D connector. Guess what? The TYT and HYS equivalent have the cut out too. They don't have the D female for packet, etc. You want to do that? Use the DR235.

The Eh?

1. No D connector. I have two Alincos. I use them as my backup just in case my Batwing micor repeater radio goes tango uniform. Believe it or not, the Alincos, on low power, work just fine as a repeater on the Asterisk control system.

2. Dial brightness. Put it on dim, it's still a bit bright. Oh well. Minor nit.

3. Resetting, according to the manual, is a hit-or-miss thing. Sometimes it does...sometimes it don't. And, considering the programming software from JS is such crap, you do have to have some confidence you're not going to brick the radio when the software farts out half way through loading a list of machines.

4. Service manual is about as bogus as the software. 'Nuff said. Guess I'm spoiled by the Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, Motorola service manuals. It is what it is.

5. Detachable faceplate. Should be almost de rigeur these days. Sadly, it's not. So...you need to account for mounting the whole thing up in the cockpit. If you've more than one mobile, you end up being quite creative with placement, stacking, power distribution, external speakers, mic hangers (this mic does not have the button on the back, but the Alinco-style tab off the top), etc.

Bottom line: if you want a 220 radio, 50w (when all is said and done), decent ergonomics, and, if it dies, you're not out a big pile of money...I'd give this a qualified ok. There are other options, some less power, some less-known manufacturers (the board in the TYT TH9000 and HYS version are almost carbon copies of the JS, which leads me to think they're all contract-built nameplate-engineered radios) for the same or a little less. If you want to get on 220, though, and get away from the good buddy ragchews on 2m...220 has the propagation of 2m, the quality of 440, and, guys, if we don't use it...we will loose it. You could do worse. I'd put this in the middle somewhere, as long as you don't have Motorola expectations for Radio Shack money.

W4AMP Rating: 0/5 Jun 5, 2012 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update of my previous review of years ago. These radios do not last. First rig had final failure after 13 months. I used it quite a bit, so I bought another one in May 2009. This one developed a bizarre display problem. After the rig has been off a while and turned back on, the display is blank. You can see the channel number, and the bargraph on tx and receive. Memories are still there, so it is not the memory battery. You can still use it, just cannot see the frequency. After a reset, you can program it, then it does it again. All is not lost however. After you throw the rig in the trash the mounting bracket holds an Icom 38A just fine. Way overpriced and self destructs when warranty expires. If you want to pay 250$ for a rig that lasts a year, this is the one to buy.

AA1PR Rating: 1/5 Apr 25, 2012 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Caveat emptor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the repeater was only 30 miles away, at 50 watts with 5 el beam & an excellent swr this radio could not hear or key up the rpt. however my kenwood tm3530 did @ 25watts & with better overall results on both TX & RX

this radio is a scam

the only good thing I can say is that the display was nice & it was easy to program

however the orange & blue display was weird

K4JCW Rating: 2/5 Apr 19, 2012 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is a little late, but I bought one of these radios when they first came out. I *really* wanted to like it. 50 watts on 220MHz, and less expensive than an Alinco DR-235T MkIII. Unfortunately, this was a pig in a poke. I paid $250 for mine, no sales tax, no shipping charge. After a couple months of intense dissatisfaction, I sold it on eBay.

My little list of complaints goes like this:

* Freakin' *huge* compared to an Alinco DR-235T or the TYT TH-9000.
* Customer support? Non-existent.
* When in VFO mode, entering numbers on the microphone allows going directly to a frequency. Supposedly in memory recall (MR) mode, entering one or two digits should * take you to that memory number. This does not work.
* Using UP/DOWN to step through memories is brain-dead. It should not move to an un-programmed memory.
* Using UP/DOWN to start a scan requires pressing the UP/DOWN key for 2 seconds, but no longer. If pressed longer, just goes into "fast forward" mode.
* The display is pretty bright, even on 'dim'. Brighter than I like at night when driving.
* The PDF copy of the operator's manual is a scan of a paper copy, and a poor copy would that. I would prefer a PDF copy derived from the original sources.
* Although unimportant to me, AM mode is not supported (available on the DR-235T)
* There is a cut-out in the back of the casting for a DB-9 for packet use, but unlike the DT-235T, the connector isn't actually *there*.
* Microphone is somewhat clunky and heavy, and the cord plastic-y and stiff. I still prefer the Icom HM-133 over any mike made yet.
* The PC programming software is weak. Entries can't be copied and pasted to rearrange them, and it's not possible to sort.

The Alinco DR-235T is the de facto standard. The TH-9000 lacks the packet connector mentioned above, and while it's a nit, I don't run packet. The PC programming software for the TH-9000 suffers from the same issue as the Jetstream.

I maintain wiki pages for the radios I own (or used to own), which contain opinions, manuals, software, mods, etc. The page for the JT220M is located at http://www.tinymicros.com/wiki/Jetstream_JT220M

WB3IGR Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2012 07:05 Send this review to a friend
OK SO FAR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my JT220M at the K1CRA Radio Store. The service was great and so was the price. At first I thought I had a problem with the high power TX. I had put my Bird 43 on the line and was only getting 35 watts power on the high setting, 26 on mid, and 11 on low. After checking all my connections I felt the power line was quite warm. Didn't like that so I changed out the power cable and installed a new one. Checking the TX high again, I got 50 watts out. So now the radio is operating to it's advertized specs. This radio replaces my 25 watt Alinco DR235T, but I'm keeping it for a back-up just in case. Over all just only having the radio for a couple of days, I'd say very good so far.

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2012 20:33 Send this review to a friend
great 220MHz radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I pick this radio up at HRO in CA. great radio great power out. Works like it should easy to use I get great s9 599 reports on the JT220M would like to see jetstream make a 440MHz radio