Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile
Jetstream JT220M  220 mhz 50 watt Mobile Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$239.95
Description: Jetstream JT220M is a full-featured 220 MHz FM transceiver with 50 watts and 100 memory channels.

Receive range is 216.000-280.000 MHz and transmit range is 222.000-224.995 MHz. CTCSS/DTS Encode/Decode is built-in plus tone burst. Other features include a time-out timer, auto power off. Both memory scan and band scan are available. Supplied with backlit DTMF hand mic. This radio requires 13.8 VDC at 9 amps. 5.7"W X 1.85"H x 7.5"D 5.7 lbs.

Features
Timer Out Timer
50/25/10 Watts
Backlit DTMF Microphone

More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jt220m.shtml

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JT220M 220 mhz 50 watt Mobile.

N5XO Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2011 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Love it, pissed at it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 3 of the 220 rigs from Jetstream for a little over 2 years now and I have loved them. Very pleased with the audio quality.

However all 3 of my rigs, a friends rig and another local hams rig all put out between 26 to 31 watts.

My bitch is that if you advertise 50 watts than they should be putting out 50 watts or darn close. Another friend has one he picked up a few months back, have not metered it to see the power out put as of yet.

I echo the comments about how easy it is to program, the software would take as long to plug in and boot up on your computer as it does to program in some freq.

Over all I like the radio and it's one of the FEW rigs out there that allow us on 220 which is a great band that I enjoy.

Now if someone would just come out with an all mode rig for 220 I would be on cloud 9

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2011 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Mines fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well since someone said they were not putting out full power i pulled out the Bird and checked. Well well what do you know! Mine is putting out 50+ watts on high! Not an Alinco clone huh?? wonder why the heat sink has the same design? the same cut out for the DB? And true the DB9 is not there but I doubt it was forgotten! More like left out to cut costs. And the software STILL sux! And from time to time the software asks if the radio its connected to is a DR-235!!! LOL but then its not a Alinco clone so the software must know something we dont!!
Seems I have one of the few radios that is what it says it is! Oh and the second one I have I also found to have 50+ watts output but its still in the box so it hasent decided if its a alinco clone or not yet.
But the software sux! points off for that....

W5TXR Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2011 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Low TX Power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Someone mentioned that it was an Alinco clone.
It is far from an Alinco clone (except the microphone) Completely different design (Electronically)
These are clearly made in China.The Alinco radios are made in Japan! As a ham radio dealer we have found that most of the radios are not transmitting at the full 50 watts!
Get out the Bird and check it. We have found that 95% are transmitting around 31-38 watts.
As a ham radio dealer we also do service and I can tell you that the craftmanship is poor.
The fix to the low TX is VR200 (Inside the radio)
The radio does NOT come apart very easily, There is a rubber gasket that must be in place before you close up the radio!
also, there was supposed to be a DB-9 connector on the back for exteral connections, I guess they forgot to install it! There is a mounting hole for it. Overall, The Alinco DR-235 is a far superior radio.

N6KZB Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
It Works Fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a low cost entry for a 220 FM radio, not bad at all. The manual is poorly translated, but the radio is easy to figure out.

Good audio reports and is doing what I wanted as a base station. Rig is built solid and the mic is beefy, perhaps a bit too stiff of a cord.

Does DTMF with correct deviation and I like the receiver sensitivity. The speaker is a bit tinny for my taste, but an external solved that issue.

Don't have the programming software, but after I got the few repeaters loaded that I can hit anyway, don't need it.

To sum it up, mine works, and for the money I can't complain. I think for what you pay for, you get a decent 220 MHZ FM radio.

KA8OCN Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine at Dayton over a year ago. They had to ship it to me because they had sold all they had at the swap.
It took almost a month to get, Good solid output and the receiver is just Great! Full scale on the receive only happens if the other guy is in your driveway...... But who cares, its just a reference.

I did have one problem, after a month or so it started getting intermittent on receive. I have always used this rig as a base here in the shack. I thought about sending it back and first just could not resist opening it up and seeing if it was something simple (simple are my favorite repairs) and I was blessed it was only a cracked soldier joint on the back of the SO239 connector.
I striped about a inch of the center of RG8X and tinned it, laid it on the board and then heated the pin on the SO239, inserted it into the connector then heated the board everything soldiered nicely and now its a little stronger a connection.
I do not know if I caused the problem or if it was a defect, I had the PL259 screwed on tight but only as tight as I could do with my fingers, no tools were used. Either way (I am not a engineer and I don't play one on tv) I think the connection on the SO239 is not good, there is nothing but soldier between the connector and the board.
I am not including this to complain about the rig, I love them, if nothing else it has forced Alinco to bring the price of theirs down and hopefully get more people on the 220 band.
I included the information in case anyone else is having the some problem.
Mine is on 24/7 here in the shack and is also connected to a Echolink node as a simplex link (I only run it on medium power). Started out as just something for me to use from my cabin and now its great because there is a app for the Android phone that lets me use Echolink anywhere were I have 3G and thats almost everywhere.

N2PPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile 220MHZ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio and its been very good to me,I think its more than a year old now.And folks that know me,know Im particular about the way a radio is.Guess what?No issues!,this is where some of your trusted beloved radio manufacturers have fallen short lately.I took my front faceplate and reversed it,so my speaker is on the top.The mic audio on the radio is clean and crisp.I like it because it has a real 8 pin mic jack not this modular BS!50 watts!yeah thats right,who else is doing this?I want to talk and 50 watts is where its at on 220.The 220 band is nice if you want to get away from the usual.Hey if we dont use this
band its going to disappear and who wants others taking away OUR spectrun !?Lets get out there and get on 220,for around 200 its not going to break the bank,is it?(hint hint)

K2MIT Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2010 22:43 Send this review to a friend
2 Bought: 1 DOA, 1 Fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered two from KJIElectronics. Gene is a great guy. Even thought I bought it after the first batch, both radios only have 2 lights lit. I called JetStream and asked "what's up" and the guy was polite and said "we mixed in some old stock with new deliveries." Guess they like to sell old stock and see if it "sticks" with hams who won't call them.

Regarding the DOA unit, I have to rip it out of my truck and send it back to them. The one in the shack works great and is fine.

One thing the manual is wrong in, is that in order to get to "Alpha" (A) tagging in memory, you must press SQL while in set mode instead of up or down button. With the up and down buttons it misses "A", with SQL pressing, it lands on A. Very strange.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2010 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my JT220M for a about a year now and I am very pleased. We have a group that uses 220 on Long Island and everyone is using the Jetstream. All have good things to say about it.

I also have the comparable Alinco 220 rig and the Jetstream appears to be a Chinese attempt at a clone, but with 50 watts output. The heat sink is larger than the Alinco to accommodate the higher output. The Alinco is only 25 watts. The 3 db Jetstream advantage can be useful for long distance contacts. In some places the Jetstream is actually cheaper, despite the higher output.

Receive sensitivity appears to be excellent. The big blue display takes some getting used to. As others have noted, you cannot really dim it down very much and so it is a little distracting in the shack. The rig has an 8 pin mic jack that will accept Alinco or Kenwood mics. It is a bit more solid than using an RJ-45 type jack.

The price is right. With limited 220 mobile choices out there these days, the JT220M has a nice niche. One would think that Jetstream could develop similar rigs for other bands like 2M and 440 and be the low price leader. If you want to get into 220, the Jetstream is an excellent choice at a relatively low price.

AK3Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had mine for several months now with no problems, great audio reports, and good ease of use. Had a Kenwood previous to this but wanted something a little more modern, and less expensive than the Alinco with the additional power. Our local hams are trying to increase 220 usage, so we have started a weekly 220 net.
Folks give this radio a good report on the net, and I have been pleased so far. No idea about longevity, only time will tell. I think the unit is solid, well-made, and has some nice features, such as a mode to clean up signals of noise assuming you are not trying for DX. Helps clarity of good signals, not designed for weak signals - in other words it is NOT a passband filter - just a nice addition for when it is useful. A bonus, in other words.
Easy to program w/out software. If you really have 100 frequencies to program (you're luckier than me-no more than 20 ones around here!), even this amount would not be hard to program. If the software is buggy or hard (I cannot say it is or it isn't), forego it and just do it by hand. No biggie.
220 rocks - get on the band now!

Robert AK3Q

KB1GCK Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2010 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Toss-up with Alinco 235  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine at the spring 2010 Nearfest along with the 2/220/440 base antenna. Close you eyes and the receive is about the same as the Alinco 235. S meter is VERY stingy, don't panic and return the rig because of this. Once I got the correct antenna it worked fine, the one I got from Jetstream was a dual band marked as a tri-band. I replaced that with the Cushcraft ARX-220B Ringo for 220MHz ($99). Display is a bit bright even when turned down, housing is big and beefy with lots of heat sink, output measured a whopping 72 WATTS!! on a Diamond SX-400 meter with about a 1.3 SWR. Mic connector fits in a lot firmer than the Alinco 235 (I had one). So it's 72 watts output for $240 OR 25 watts for $300 with the Alinco made me lean towards the Jetstream (Like there are many 220 radios on the market - not) The guy I bought it from Radio Oasis (George) was VERY professional and offered to refund my dough without hesitation, I kept the dual band base antenna as a spare.