Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-22AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-22AT
Kenwood TH-22AT Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: 2-meter monoband handheld
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-22AT.

PE1GP Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Still a strong performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rig for many years, I guess about 14 years or so. I have the TH-22E european version.

It's still a strong and solid performer, even today among newer rigs it still doesn't look out of place, the design was very small and modern for its age. Its design has also been copied by the early Chinese clone radios when this radio was no longer in production, which says a lot about its good looks. It's still the rig I bring if I know I'm only going to be on 2 metres.

My PB-32 Ni-Cd battery pack died many years ago, I've bought several BT-9 packs on ebay, which is a battery case for 4 AA cells. This limits the output power somewhat but the operation duration is great compared to the original battery and it only adds about 1cm to the length of the rig compared to the battery.

The controls are easy, with a volume and encoder dial on top, there's a simple menu with 15 items or so which can unfortunately only be accessed by powering the rig on/off and holding a button. Also holding the button on the opposite side and doing the same WIPES ALL settings so this happened to me once and now I know the right button location forever ;)

It has a BNC connector which is a relief in the current day and age of SMA on everything. Audio is loud and clear. I have the optional DTMF keyboard, but not the CTCSS tone squelch board. WIthout it it can still OPEN repeaters, it just can't squelch based on CTCSS tones. Which is good enough for me.

It's strictly 2m only, no AM band or 70cms or anything but for what it does it's simple and works very well. It's still my go-to rig for portable 2m operation. I give it 5 stars for remaining relevant in this age of disposable electronics.

CT2IPG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2008 15:14 Send this review to a friend
very nice rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a th22e from 6 years ago and until now i like it very much! the model i have is full tuning, the receive is outstanding, the 3 watts of power is enough to make short contacts using the repeaters. never had a problem, just replace the battery pack when it's damaged, (i have replaced only two). very easy to program and to use. i give it a 5!!

K8ELR Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Rugged & Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one for 7 years. Sold just recently. I am sure that it will run on for few more years. Never a problem with it. I have a TH-F6a that has replaced it. I've had it for about 2 years. The thing I don't like about the Kenwood HTs is they last too darn long. I want to try new radios but I can not justify getting rid of it just cause I want a new toy.

73 Jim
K8ELR

DW1SCO Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2005 06:07 Send this review to a friend
great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
one great HT, light and small. fits in my pocket. great radio.

PE1GP Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2005 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Good sturdy little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio (the european version, TH-22E) for 4 years now and it's still going strong, even though I bought it second-hand. It's even running off the original battery pack. I like the way it's very sturdy and find the battery lifetime more than adequate. The build quality is great. I've brought it all around the world and it has never let me down.

It's not as small as the latest mini-handhelds, but it's got a good strong transmitter (3W with the normal pack, 5W with an optional 13V pack). I use it a lot with the supplied antenna and 3W through a repeater over 50 miles away, and I get consistently good reports with very little static.

The only gripe I have is the controls. It seems like they wanted to reduce the number of buttons at all costs, making it much harder to use. Every button has at least 3 sub-functions. It does one thing when pressed, another when F is pressed first, another if F is held down for a while, and yet another when it is held down while the receiver is turned on. None of these sub-functions are marked anywhere on the transceiver. If you don't use it regularly you will forget them so you will always need to bring the manual along.

The commands are also not logically grouped. For example, the command to bring up the set-up menu, which you will use a lot, is holding down "Call" while turning the receiver on. This is very similar to the command to delete *ALL* memories and settings (which is to hold down "F" while turning it on), and I've mixed these up a few times after not using it for a while, and have had to program it all over again. It doesn't even ask for confirmation before doing this. Ouch! :)

Anyway I will still give it a 4 because it works very well once you're used to it and it has some very useful functions including CTCSS sending (receiving is an expensive option), and it has split-frequency memories, where you can specify both the receive and transmit frequency separately. I used this a lot while I was travelling in countries with a different repeater plan than Europe, such as Australia.

All in all a basic but well made handheld once you get used to the quirks :-)

KB7RGT Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2004 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Quite Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this HT since 1994. I would give this radio a 4.5 out of 5. The only drawbacks are: lousy antenna (replaced with a more efficient one), and not the most intuitive operational controls - but that may be just me - I keep having to refer to the manual to do stuff.

It has great TX&RX audio. It has lasted a long time, full features, small size, good peripherals. In short it just does what it is supposed to do.

KD5YOU Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2003 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used for $100. The radio is well built and fits in my hand. This radio is more sensitive than my HTX-202 however the TSU-8 ctcss is less sensitive than the 202. Audio is clear but not loud enough in noisy environments. The display lighting is very appreciated compared to my 202. I can listed all day on a 600mAh battery, although the batteries can only be charged while in the radio. An order of BatteryMart batteries solved that problem. I've had no intermod problems at all.

KC5QFE Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2003 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Good solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my TH-22 handheld for over seven years now, and have not had any trouble with it. It is a rugged little radio, as well. Overall, it is a good sized handheld...not too big, not too small. It has 40 channels, and the power settings are 3 watts, half a watt, and 30 milliwatts (the ultimate in battery saving power, haha). Though I cannot say that the price is super competitive, it IS a high quality, solidly built radio. I won't gripe about the price too much because it has been trouble free all these years, and the little 600mah battery lasts a long time.

--My main complaints with this radio (and they are minor), is the rubber coating on the antenna. It's finally starting to tear. My last complaint is the audio...I wish it was a little bit louder when traveling mobile.

--I recommend this radio 100% and give it a "5"!

G3SEA Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2003 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Recent Competitive Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Simply a good,proven,solid,durable,slim,no frills,basic 2m HT :)

GigaParts currently has the TH22ATSKB model ( BT9 Dry Cell Pack with 4xAA Batteries )for $129.

Cheaper( Dry Battery Pack )HT's seem to be a current trend welcomed by many.

W1XLR Rating: 3/5 Oct 9, 2002 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Bad Intermod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had many Mobil's and HT's in my area and this is one of the worst by far for intermod! Everything else is fine other than Batt.s don't last long (normal for most HT's) OK with the rubber duck dummy load. Have had many better HT's as far as intermod, got it in a trade but I would not pay much for one!