Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-22AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-22AT
Kenwood TH-22AT Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: 2-meter monoband handheld
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-22AT.

KC0HNR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2002 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little radio! The rubber part came of on my antenna, but I fixed it with a cable tie (then I lost it). The battery latch (on the battery) wore down after 2 years and I hold it on with electrical tape. It's nice and easy to use. It has plenty of power, even in the mountains. I've pretty hard on on this radio with work and hunting, I think that sped up the problems.

KK6NJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2002 15:40 Send this review to a friend
GOOD RADIO!  Time owned: months
I purchased the th-22at,in 1994,pretty close to
debut,and i like the radio it is rugged,reliable
and easy to program,the ptt is comfortable,
compared to other ht,s easy to push.The rubber
duck is kind a loose on my rig,an sma would have
been better but at that time the radio was
introduced,it wasnt that popular on ham ht,s.

One thing i must mention is the rig is expensive
it was around $300.00dollars when i bought mine
and they still want over $200.00,dollars for it!

Kenwood is not being very compeititive on their
pricing currently because some mono-band radios
are availaible for as low as $150.00,dollars.
Especially that the radio is aging in model
design,its debut was 1993,1994,i think? i
purchased mine in 1994.Also worth mentioning
the rig reminded me of an star trek communicator
with the standard battery,but the stock battery
pb-32 goes dead fast even when just monitoring.

I think though you can get a better deal and price
currently buying an kenwood g-71 dual band ht
i have seen them as low as $260.00,dollars,
and the 22-at is over $200.00,dollars,sounds
like an supply and demand issue here!simple
economics,just like 220 radios are more money
because they dont move off the shelves much
and they make up there losses on increasing
the price of the radio!!

KB3CDF Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2002 13:53 Send this review to a friend
In service since 1997  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a great deal of research this was the best I could find that was affordable and had a BNC connector. {Dual bands at the time were circa $400.}

Interfaced well with Larson mag-mount (5/8) and external 30w brick for mobile. Carries well on belt or other. Worked QSO's in and out doors with with average 2.5 watts and stock antenna (Good repeaters in the area.).

While on vacation in Colorado, made DX (2m) contacts with mW power setting. I had a slight height advantage... (Colorado HAMs, have no excuse if they don't have VUCC hi hi.)

Likes: Size, durability, resistance to intermod (realistic RX bandwidth for an HT), adaptability of use with good old BNC connector, quality accessories, TX and RX audio quality

Dislikes: Initial learning curve and "double button press combo's" for programming... not as bad as some, once learned...not a problem.

Future: would like to find a dual band with the same reliability and quality ...AND a BNC ant. connection.

KD5RDY Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2002 22:51 Send this review to a friend
WHAT NOT TO DO!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got a TH-22AT on ebay for $70. After replacing the stock battery to(PB-34,$50) and antenna to (diamond RH77CA $30), I finally got some good play on the radio. My problems started when I hooked the HT to a 100 watt RF power amplifier. Thought I could for-go the expense of a mobile rig and get the best of both worlds, a portable with power. Well, after the amp stoped smoking, I come to find that the HT would not power up. It would power up while connected to the wall adapter. So I crack the back and figured that negative battery connector got shorted. I was all set to soder the connection back but found that the back of the board was not readily accessable.
Looks to be welded to the back! DANG!
good radio!
not so easy to work on!
73's KD5RDY

KC5NIS Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2001 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Had others, like this one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had other ht's that were advertised as small and they do look small untill you turn them on their side. They are just as deep as they are wide. The 22At may be a little taller but it fits on your side and in your hand much better. It is easy to forget this radio is on your belt. The others droop,drag,and flop around. I could get one of those super small jobs but they seem to sacrifice convience. The 22at controls are easy to use, one knob for the volume and one to change memory channel or vfo. No "one knob does all". I have had this radio for many years and have carried it everywhere. The stock antenna is just like all other stock antennas, a dummy load. I repaced it with a MFJ dual band ant. It is very flexible and won't poke you. Works a ton better. If I ever buy another, I will look for one just like this or the closest new model.

KB8POA Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2000 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice and small!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up used almost two years ago on rec.radio.amateur.equipment and I've been very impressed by this radio. The first thing I love about it is its size. It's a perfect fit for my hand. I also like that it's simple to program and use. Sure it doesn't do everything the newer radios will, but do you really need all that junk?

The radio seems to be built well. It has a real solid feel to it. Not quite built like a tank, but it's solid. I also find the audio to be quite good on receive and the transmit audio seems to also be quite nice from the reports I have received.

I've been very happy with this radio. I have to say that it's the best HT I've ever owned. I like it a lot better than its "big brother" the dual-band TH-79a.

They're a great buy used. I paid $100 for mine, best hundred dollars I've ever spent! I've never had a problem with it. I'd reccomend it to anyone looking for a small 2m HT.

KG4CJV Rating: 3/5 Aug 6, 2000 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Need batter battery and Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this ht for about a year now and I mostly use it for a mobile radio. I have found that the stock antenna is not a keeper. The first time I use the 22at I found that the stock antenna gets verry hot on highpower (5w). I have bought the diamond dualband ht antenna (RC-77CA) and I can now hit the local repeaters on .025w (Low power).
The Battery on this radio does not last very long on high power. I reccomend going down to your local RS and gatting a adaptor for the 22at and use it often so your batter wont die.
Another thing is the power settings are stupid and dont make any since. High power is 5w, medium is .50w and low is .025w. This is a great radio to check out repeater receivers and testing antennas.
Also I would not reccomend putting this radio on a high gain antenna it does receive alot of garbage. Up until now this radio was my base station radio and well all I couldent even talk on .520 due to how much crap I was getting.
If you buy the speaker mic with the remote control it helps alot in the mobile. The speaker mike also has great tx audio, but crappy rx audio(cant turn it up loud enough for mobile enviroment).
One last thing this radio does not come with ctcss decode thats seperate. Also the ctcss encode has an issue, some of the higher frequency tones are audable and sometimes even loud enought to drownd your audio out!
Well theres your review and I hope this helped, because if I had known these things before I bought this ht I would have got a vx-5r or something. I ended up spening over $380 to get this ht to sound good and last longer. I had to buy the speaker mic, diamond antenna, and the ctcss unit.
kg4cjv

W8DRK Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2000 23:46 Send this review to a friend
User friendly HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have three Hams in this family and a favorite family activity is public service communications. We have HTs made by Icom, Kenwood, Alinco and ADI. The TH22at is the rig of first choice in this family. Nice size, good batery life, and easy intuitive operation. No, it does not have every availible bell and whistle, but it has everything we need.

KC5MFA Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2000 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice little ht  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a TH22AT used on eBay for my soon-to-be-licensed wife. In the mean time I have used and enjoyed this little ht very much.

It is a small, compact radio, but not so small that you forget it's there. It's just about the size of her cell phone. 5 watts out on 12 volts, so good for temporary mobile use with a mag mount antenna. I have had no problem hitting area repeaters with it here in New Orleans and have had good reports on the audio. But then, Kenwood's always sound good.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a good, basic, compact 2 meter ht it would be hard to go wrong with the TH-22AT. Lots of accessories to go with it, too. I use a speaker-mic with it and really enjoy operating hamfest foot-mobile with it. I know my XYL will enjoy it when she gets her ticket.

Go to the members only section of the ARRL website and check out their product review of the TH-22AT.

73 de Don, KC5MFA

AC7CF Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2000 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Does anyone have this radio?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What do you think of this radio. What are the bad things about and what do you like about it?