Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Hexbeam by DX Engineering Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam by DX Engineering
Hexbeam by DX Engineering Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.95
Description: At the center of the new HEXX antenna is the exclusive DX Engineering patent pending rugged cast aluminum HEXX Hub and stainless steel V-saddle clamps. This unique design may be used in the construction of either the classic or G3TXQ broadband hex beam antennas.

For the rest of the antenna frame, high quality stainless steel element clamps rigidly hold the telescoping fiberglass sections at the correct lengths without drilling holes. Exclusive DX Engineering stainless steel element clamps with studs provide secure attachment points for the driven element feed points without drilling, which would weaken the fiberglass.

The unique Floating Element Wire Guides allow independent movement of the radiating wire elements and flexible fiberglass spreaders in the wind without creating breaking stresses. ...many other unique, high quality features.

Available in several forms - from a complete 5-band kit at $599.95 to individual component packages.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-hexx-beam-antennas?autoview=SKU&keyword=hex

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam by DX Engineering.

WB2PJH Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my five band Hexxbeam just before Hurricaine Sandy wiped out most of New Jersey and it was not until the following fall, nearly a year later, that I was able to assemble it and get some help to mount it on a 3 foot roof tower.

This is not an hour kit. The components are extremely well made and are of the highest quality but a close read of the manual and an extra pair of hands is essential. I put a pipe in the ground outside to support the antenna while I was attaching the spreaders and elements. Follow the instructions carefully and be patient and it will all come together. I had two bad clamps which DX engineering replaced at no charge even though the warranty had technically run out when I described my situationl DX engineering technical support was also exemplary, particluarly Rod, the resident Hexxbeam Guru who patiently, politely, and clearly ansered my questions.

The SWR is below 2:1 on all the bands except 20, and I also found out that despite the pictures of Hexxbeams attached to chimney mounts they, and all other beams, are affected by moisture on the roof which noticeably changes the SWR. While I was spoiled by connecting the antenna directly to the power amp I now have it running through a tuner and the problem is solved.

I have worked more DX with this antenna since I put it up than I have in 20 years. I didn't have to buy a $1000 rotor or a heavy tower but I did decide to purchase a Yaesu thrust bearing for the top of the roof tower as "cheap insurance".

I found that 1.25" aluminum EMT from the electrical supply house makes the perfect mast, and I was able to machine a spacer for the rotor out of some round aluminum stock to increase the diameter to 2" so it turns in a perfect circle.

If you're looking for a non-technical, one hour antenna project, this is not for you. If you like to get your hands dirty and enjoy buildig an antenna out of top quality parts, this is an antenna worth your consideraton. The quality of the Hexx hub and the five band feeder are top notch. Another benefit is that the antenna is unaffected by the wind since it's symmetrical, and when the wind is gusting at 40 mph you can look up and your antenna safe and sound.

A great product from a great company.

Dave WB2PJH

K1CRU Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a 20 meter Hexbeam up on a Penninger Radio 24' mast with a Ham IV rotator for about 2 years now. It's a great antenna. So far, it's survived rain, ice, snow and Hurricane Sandy unscathed. I must admit assembly isn't the easiest, but if you follow the instruction manual, and pay attention to detail, you can't go wrong. The engineering that went into hub design is superb. Heavy duty hub and all stainless hardware makes this an antenna that will survive the ages.

K5JAX Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Poor Wind Survivability  Time owned: more than 12 months
October 2012
I have one of the earlier DX Engeering Hex Beams. I am aware that there were some minor changes that were made in the assembly process right after my purchase. I am not aware that there were any changes that would address these problems. The antenna is mounted on top of a 55 foot crank up U.S. Tower which has never been raised from the docking position of 24 feet. It does tilt over but to make repairs it is necessary to have a schedule with at least one more person to help with the work. As we all probably have found out that it is sometimes hard to gather up an antenna work crew.

I have had the Hex beam up for about four months. It is subject to 18 mph to 25 mph winds a minimum of a few hours every few days.
It has also been exposed to winds in the 30+ mph range about once or more every two weeks. It has seen some mid 40's and once a 54 mph gust.
I have a Davis Weather Station mounted within 20 feet of the tower and at a height of 12 feet above the ground.

It is failing where the copper wire is attached to the feed point near the vertical section. The wind vibrates the whole antenna causing distortion of the fiberglass element spacing and leaving the antenna with an obviously distorted looking shape. The copper wire does not hold up to these strains. The 15 meter section broke and a week later the next highest band has broken at the same point. I am reasonably sure that most of the other bands will fail the same way. When the weather is better and a work crew assembled it will be removed. Cording spanning the opening of the forward direction of the antenna at each band level may help to stabilize the whole structure. A strain relief for the wiring before it attaches to the feed point would probably improve reliability. Constant wind vibration of the wires and distortion of the antenna shape is causing copper metal fatigue at the mechanical fastening points.

I can see that with the first failure the structural integrity was diminished. With one antenna wire slack the whole antenna whips more in the wind and places additional loading on what seems to be the weak point "the copper wire terminations at the feed points".

The Field Day group helped me put the antenna on the tower. I have a boom that attaches to my tractor and reaches up to about 35 feet. My thanks to Tom W0EAJ for climbing the tower for the install while trusting me to operate the tractor/loader and raising the antenna. Just to mention how dedicated the crew was the temperature was 100 degrees that day and most all present will not see 60 years old again. Some of us are 70. We sure must be dedicated Hams.

KD5J Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2013 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First thing, download the DXE hexbeam manual from the DXE website and study it carefully. Being familiar with the parts and how it will go to together makes assembly much easier. This antenna replaced a Cushcraft MA5B. Mine went up on a 40' tower last July. I made a mounting modification. My tower is an older, non-Rohn brand at least 35-40 yrs. old. The top section is tapered at the top, and unable to mount a thrust bearing, I use a piece of pipe as bushing to support the antenna above the rotor. A 1.375" mast fits in it perfectly. This is the same diameter as the small length of aluminum pipe that mounts through the center hub. I replaced it with a longer piece the same diameter and cut the length to fit inside the tower and clamped to the rotor. I put a smaller diameter piece of scrap pipe inside the mast to add strength. I assembled the antenna on the ground by placing the mast into a piece of pipe concreted in a 5 gallon bucket. Be sure to assemble the antenna by following all measurements in accordance with the manual. I have good SWR across all bands except 12m which is 2:1. This is probably due to an issue peculiar to my installation. While operating the antenna, I have observed excellent directivity and F/B performance. I have busted through several pileups with ease. I really enjoyed this antenna by giving it a workout in the ARRL 10 meter and RTTY Roundup contests. This antenna really works! Lots of performance from an antenna so lightweight and a small footprint. It turns very easily with a Yaesu G-450 rotor. I love the fact there are no traps.

W0EAJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2012 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Pretty impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just helped my friend Roger - K5JAX, get his DXeng Hex up. He commented that he wished he'd gotten the other version, as assembly was sort of a PITA. Using his special "lifter" (see his website), we got it atop the tower fairly easily. He too notices that it's tuning favors the CW portions of the bands (Hey DXeng - you need to fix that for the other guys), and normally that's not a biggie, but if you're using a "cube" type amp, they begin cutting power down with a 1.5:1 swr. Not as narrow as a yagi, but that baby works! Capetown, SA out of the box.

K4BN Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 07:28 Send this review to a friend
100% Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm really amazed with the performance of this antenna. I only have it up about 25' on a push up mast with a simple NTE rotor and it works fine. I'm breaking pileups with 100 watts on the first or second call.

One thing I can suggest is to make a temporary length of rope with loops at each end to hold the spreaders in place while you tie the support ropes. That way each spreader will be bent the exact same amount and trust me, your fingers will thank you when you're done.

I painted mine to make it less noticeable to the neighbors using regular Krylon primer and camo paint. It didn't stick to the fiberglass very well and is easily scratched. I believe they make a product called fusion paint that would probably work better.

I chose the DX Engineering Hexx over the other ones because of their outstanding customer service. Another site warns about it having over 200 parts which may be true if you count every nut and washer. I didn't have any problems with assembly at all.

ZL3HA Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna - worked 105 countries in 4 months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a Hexbeam for all of the good reasons stated by the previous reviewer, ND9P. I decided on the DX Engineering kit after first considering a completely home brew solution and the other options on the market. Obtaining components in NZ was proving to be a real challenge and in the end it worked out more cost effective to buy the 5 band kit and the current choke for the complete antenna. I'm really pleased I went this way. This is a very well manufactured antenna and is easy to assemble when following the detailed but simple to follow instruction manual. Their hub unit and balanced feeder system is really innovative and addresses some of the weaknesses that would have existed in my proposed home brew design.

The SWR curve on all bands appears just a little lower in frequency than I would like but I believe this will rectify once the beam is a bit higher in the air.

I'm currently using it at 30ft on a telescoping aluminium tube mast with G-800DXA rotator at the base.

Dx Engineering shipping department kept me informed as to shipping details and they had my beam on the courier within 2 hours of my on line order. Just one week later it had cleared customs and was under assembly in my yard. That's great service.

Today I worked the 105th country using the new Hexbeam (over a 4 month period). I would call myself a casual DXer, I'm not on the radio 24/7! I like it a lot, can you tell?

ND9P Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Great performance and value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a directional HF antenna that would give me some gain, work with a small tower and rotator, and have a low visual signature; the DX Engineering Hexxbeam has met all of my requirements! I have been very pleased with the on-air performance of my Hexxbeam mounted on a crank up 40 foot telescopic mast. My assembly time was longer than most, but I did prime and paint the fiberglass spreaders to better blend in with my local terrain. My CDE-45II rotor easily handles this antenna.

I have been able to work virtually any station I hear and have been getting very good signal reports across the Western Pacific from Minnesota.

If you are looking for a cost effective directional HF antenna, consider a Hexxbeam; I have been very satisfied with my antenna.

KC5HAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna in 31 years of operating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is by far the best antenna that I have ever owned. It is very quiet with a low noise level and we are hearing many more stations including those on the other side of the globe. Today we heard South Sudan and worked many European and South American stations from our QTH in Texas. Our location has many limitations especially the trees in the yard which meant the only space large enough was on the roof for a small beam antenna. This one fits nicely with an 11 foot turning radius and 25 lb total weight. We are using a light duty rotor and only have it up about 25 feet. This antenna is a highly superior product that uses stainless steel hardware though out (a must for Gulf Coast Texas). My YL says this antenna put the fun back into DXing for her... and me too!!

K1GDI Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Great new venture in ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Waited 53 years to purchase a directional antenna.
Hex beam was the answer. Roof chimney mounted, tv rotor. Wife accepted the appearance on the roof. SWR below 1.5 everywhere on the cw portion and never exceeded 2:1 anywhere. Totally flat on 17.

Take your time putting it together, have hex drivers for clamps, anti seizing paste for the stainless steel. Large and awkward at times. Good part: Great gain over the g5rv, directional beyond my expectations. I did notice that I hear well off the back so have to be aware of call signs for directon. Quality materials and very responsive help when I called DX Engineering for clarification. Other products are partially pre-assembled but I wanted to know every step of the construction. 100 watts maximum for me.