Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam by DX Engineering Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam by DX Engineering
Hexbeam by DX Engineering Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.95
Description: At the center of the new HEXX antenna is the exclusive DX Engineering patent pending rugged cast aluminum HEXX Hub and stainless steel V-saddle clamps. This unique design may be used in the construction of either the classic or G3TXQ broadband hex beam antennas.

For the rest of the antenna frame, high quality stainless steel element clamps rigidly hold the telescoping fiberglass sections at the correct lengths without drilling holes. Exclusive DX Engineering stainless steel element clamps with studs provide secure attachment points for the driven element feed points without drilling, which would weaken the fiberglass.

The unique Floating Element Wire Guides allow independent movement of the radiating wire elements and flexible fiberglass spreaders in the wind without creating breaking stresses. ...many other unique, high quality features.

Available in several forms - from a complete 5-band kit at $599.95 to individual component packages.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-hexx-beam-antennas?autoview=SKU&keyword=hex

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam by DX Engineering.

K1GDI Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Great new venture in ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Waited 53 years to purchase a directional antenna.
Hex beam was the answer. Roof chimney mounted, tv rotor. Wife accepted the appearance on the roof. SWR below 1.5 everywhere on the cw portion and never exceeded 2:1 anywhere. Totally flat on 17.

Take your time putting it together, have hex drivers for clamps, anti seizing paste for the stainless steel. Large and awkward at times. Good part: Great gain over the g5rv, directional beyond my expectations. I did notice that I hear well off the back so have to be aware of call signs for directon. Quality materials and very responsive help when I called DX Engineering for clarification. Other products are partially pre-assembled but I wanted to know every step of the construction. 100 watts maximum for me.

RUSS324 Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2011 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Review update!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have now had my Hex in the air for 4 months. I am really impressed! With the recent band openings in 10 and 12 meters the beam has made working Europe and South America a breeze. I have worked 3 contests with it and it performed like a champion. Contesting was made a lot easier using the hex beam. Being able to turn the beam in the direction you want to recieve in is awesome. I had in the past used a vertical for contesting. Needless to say the Hex Beam made a huge difference.
This antenna is paired with a Flex 500A. What a combo for contesting. I would highly recommend this antenna for it design, contsruction and performance. Another great product from DX Engineering. Russ K8QF.

KT0NY Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2011 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Pro-quality antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The construction is solid and robust throughout. It covers 5 bands, and is a very good size and shape for installing on a suburban home with grouchy neighbors. Mine is hardly visible from the front of the house, and very inconspicuous even from the back. I used the chimney mount and hy-gain cd-45 rotator, which makes a good combo.

I've had it for only 5 days but have worked Thailand, Mongolia, Guinea-Bissau, Hong Kong, and more than 50 other countries, mostly on phone and mostly over pileups, with a barefoot 100 watts. My previous 200-foot wire antenna is still up, so I can switch between them; in many cases, including the ones mentioned above, the DX was completely inaudible with my old antenna, but perfect copy on the Hexx.

When I started putting the Hexx together, I discovered that one part was missing (an aluminum tube). This was a problem, because I had already arranged for guys with a hoist to come help me put it up. DX Engineering sent me the part by overnight express, and I got the antenna built in time. Great service!

Here are the negatives: There's a lot to put together, so it helps if you are good at building projects, and have plenty of tools. The instructions are complete and excellent, so if you're careful and patient there should be no problem. The other criticism is that the antenna (in fact, any reduced-size directional antenna) can be detuned by nearby objects. In the case of the Hexx, the roof and/or chimney is enough to shift the resonance of my antenna to a point just below the 17, 12 and 10 meter bands. It delivers a 1.0 SWR on 20 and 15, and I think it would on the other bands too if I could trim the wires just a bit, but my installation is such that it can't be brought down and put up easily.

Overall, it's a very well-built antenna that really works, and the company was extremely helpful to me in the episode of the missing tubing. So I'd say "highly recommended."

Tony KT0NY

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 10:03 Send this review to a friend
300 years of engineering shows  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked VP8ORK 3 times -V55DLH was a 10 ++ ect .....
The reason is that the DX Hexbeam takes no short cuts and therefore takes a little longer to assemble . No hooking into the spreaders (ouch!!),
glueing spreaders , or screwing the spreaders together or tying off of the elements to the spreaders with tie wraps. The WX here has been severe and the DX HEXBEAM just laughs it off & tnx
to the HEXX HUB every thing stays perfectly alignment !
The good folks @ DX ENGINEERING with 300 yrs behind them have created a masterpiece & have always helpful to me . This is not a home brew
kit, it created by the DX Engining Staff of Pros.

YV5ER Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2010 09:51 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recientemente la compre y la antena me parece maravillosa. Tiene una muy buena recepción, poco nivel de ruido, al igual que la transmisión me dan muy buenos reportes con solo 100 watts. Las bandas donde tiene mejor desempeño son 20 mts ,17 mts y 15 mts. No es muy grande. El único punto que podríamos decir negativo es lo engorroso del armado, pero después que lo entiendes y lo haces en la primera banda ya es mas rápido.

La recomiendo muy buena antena.

Recently purchased and the antenna is wonderful. It has a very good reception, low noise level, as well as give me a very good transmitting reports with only 100 watts. The bands which has a better performance is 20 meters, 17 meters and 15 meters. It is not very large. The only negative point we could say is the cumbersome assembly, but after you understand it and do it in the first band is now faster.

I recommend a good antenna.

PLUTARCO RODRIGUEZ.
YV5ER

KC9JCH Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2010 09:55 Send this review to a friend
One year update!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX Engineering hex beam has now been at 50' through one year. It continues to function as designed. I had no problems through a harsh Wisconsin winter, seems to shed ice easily and nothing broke! Only caveat I have is that in the summer, it requires no tuner on any band, when wet with rain, ice or snow, I have to switch the tuner in line. I suspect this is not vastly different than any other wire beam.

I do not collect QSL cards and I don't really chase awards. I use LOTW and in the first three to four months of casual operation with this antenna I made mixed DXCC on LOTW only and now am eligible for endorsements on 20m, phone and am only a couple shy on 17m. This antenna has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the hobby. Even when the bands are craptastic like they have been lately, I can usually scare up a contact or two. It isn't a set of stacked monobanders at 100' but hey, in the performance per dollar category, this thing is a winner.

W6ONV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wish I would have found out about the 5-band hex beam earlier than I did when I saw an article in QST (March 2009). I had been looking to replace my 6-BTV, which was purchased from DXE back in 2007. Unfortunately in my reading of reviews and comparisons of antennas I never once ran across the hex beam.

In the end I spent a considerable amount on a new "big" vertical, but was not happy with my results on 10-20M. So after consulting a few forums and other hams the hex beam was brought to my attention. It was rather simple to piece together and had a small footprint (turn radius) when compared to a 3-el beam, which was something I was looking at.

While I am in a CC&R controlled neighborhood I have received an exemption to operate using a vertical, so I was going out on a limb a bit by buying and building the DXE hexx beam. I decided on buying a kit as opposed to piecing it together. I liked the construction of the hub that DXE offered and honestly I did not want to wait longer than necessary to piece the antenna together if I were to homebrew one. The other fact was the support from DXE. I have been very pleased with their e-mail and phone assistance every time I have had a question. I think it goes without saying they have quality products and people.

After purchasing the hex I waited for it to arrive, which gave me time to read and reread the instruction manual. I had a good grasp of the construction by the time the boxes arrived. I took all the packages out and took inventory. Somehow I misplaced a package that had all the feedpoint hardware, thinking I had not received it, sent a quick e-mail and a spare package was on the way. Thanks DXE!

Over the course of 5 days I built the hex, step by step. It could have been done in a day, but I did not have that sort of time, so I spent an hour a day or so after work constructing it.

After the hex was built I decided to temporarily mount it on a 10' mast and was thrilled with what I could hear. Actually hear! Never using a directional type antenna before I was amazed at what I had been missing. While 10' was not optimal it was only temporary until I decided where I wanted it.

Thankfully I had another ham offer me a Rohn H20, which I mounted to the back of my garage and then placed the hex on top of that. Currently I am about 20' using the "armstrong" method of turning the hex depending on where I plan on working.

Since getting the hex in the air October, 2009 I have worked areas of the world I rarely could hear on either vertical. Europe was always a challenge for me, but I had very good signals (RTTY & CW) on 15/20M to EU. I worked my first contacts on the African continent. My signals to the west were ever better. JAs were never difficult, but working down the coast of Asia and into China and Indonesia were something I never did. Looking over my log, the contacts speak for themselves.

The only drawback I have, which won't affect my overall score is a bit of sag on the 20M driven elements and reflector. I reconfirmed I cut the wire and the element spacers the correct length. This led me to the hex beam Yahoo Group, where I was able to search for similar problems. In the end I disconnect all the wire from the element spacer and retied all the fiberglass spreaders. Originally I did not tighten the spreaders and they started to collapse into each other. Not sure that is the problem I still have even after sizing and tightening the clamps.

Regardless of this, I am still very impressed with the performance of the hexx beam from DXE. I just wish I could get it a bit higher up. I did add feedline current choke (from DXE) to the top of the antenna. I ran 35' of LMR400 from the shack to the current choke.

Great product! Thanks DXE!