Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | microHAM USB Interface III Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM USB Interface III
microHAM USB Interface III Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: The USB interface III includes full optical isolation of all control signals (radio control, CW, PTT and Squelch) and built-in USB soundcard with front panel level controls for transmit via your transceiver's Accessory audio input and the constant level (pre-volume control) audio output.

You can write your own review of the microHAM USB Interface III.

SP7IDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2016 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent for my small activation, This product deserves a 5+ rating.
N3WMC Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2015 18:41 Send this review to a friend
very good interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had RFI and virtual com port problems with Rigblaster advantage running in Windows 10..Friend recommended Microham usb III.Set up was easy with my IC 7600 and Windows 10.THE Router software made setting up ports very easy..Very well made unit,cables shielded. Works flawlessly with HRD Suite and N1MM/MMTTY..Recommend to any one.
KA3YAN Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2015 12:53 Send this review to a friend
A very good interface for digital modes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I want to begin by saying that there are very few digital interfaces (sound card or otherwise) that I haven't used. This review will discuss specifics relating to the microHAM USB III as well as compare and contrast it with other popular interfaces.

The microHAM USB III interface is a very small device which contains its own sound card and provides a means to interface your amateur radio to your personal computer for both control of your rig as well as decoding/encoding of digital signals over RF. All connections between the radio and laptop are galvanically isolated to prevent ground loops and other harmful interference. The microHAM USB III also provides a number of virtual serial ports for various rig control functions (PTT, CW, CAT, etc.).

The microHAM USB III is a compromise in some ways when compared to the "Top of the Line" Navigator interface now manufactured by Timewave Technologies. The Navigator contains a UART RS-232 connection via USB that actually contains six physical serial ports where the USB III's serial ports are all virtual ports and are only present when the microHAM software is running. This has the potential to cause a hardware conflict if a new serial device is plugged in when the microHAM software is closed. On the plus side, I have not observed any adverse signal delays using the virtual ports over physical ports. Having a PTT COM port is very useful over a VOX PTT found on devices like the Tigertronics SignaLink USB. Also, the SignaLink USB requires an additional control cable (CAT or CI-V) where the microHAM and Navigator provide for rig control with a single USB cable.

Like the SignaLink USB, the microHAM USB III requires internal jumper settings depending on the rig being used. This isn't a big deal and doesn't require frequent changes once the jumpers are set. The Navigator does not require internal changes of any type or for any reason. We're hams though, so tinkering isn't really a bad thing.

The microHAM USB III's audio signal is mostly flat from around 300 Hz to 3000 Hz where there is some roll-off on each end. This affects nothing that I have seen as every digital mode that I have used falls easily into this envelope. This very nearly matches the Navigator's performance and surpasses the SignaLink USB's. It has been well document that the SignaLink USB does not have a very flat response over it's audio band pass, especially at the low end.

When I speak of the SignaLink USB's audio profile, the same can be said of the PK-232SC as the later uses nearly identical audio circuit components. I won't discuss the PK-232SC otherwise as none of the other interfaces include built-in MODEMS for Packet and TOR modes which make the PK-232SC unique in this field.

The microHAM USB III is absolutely tiny. When looking at photos, it appears to be the size of a Navigator or just slightly smaller. In reality it is actually smaller than the SignaLink USB. I was shocked at its small size. One issue that the small size caused had to do with the heavier weight of the radio cable compared to the lighter weight of the USB III. This made the USB III want to tilt backward when pulled by the cable. This of course isn't a show-stopper, but it goes to show how small the device is. If I had to guess-timate, I'd say the USB III is maybe 1/6 to 1/8 the size of the Navigator.

Unlike the other two devices, the microHAM USB III does require external power. I was a little surprised that it wasn't capable of running off of the USB port's 5 VDC as the SignaLink USB and Navigator both are. Not a huge issue, but it means that if your rig can't provide the necessary 12 VDC, you'll have to provide it through another means. My radio cable assembly has a set of Anderson Powerpole connectors for easy connection to the rest of my shack's 12 volt power.

- Tiny in size, but giant in performance
- Galvanically isolated connections
- Firmware upgradeable
- Excellent audio response
- Roughly half the cost of a Navigator
- COM port for PTT and CW
- Single USB cable to PC
- Custom cables available for virtually all radios
- Radio cable schematics are free if you want to make your own cable

- Proprietary configuration software must be installed and running for the USB III to work
- Custom radio cables are expensive and fairly complicated to make if you don't want to buy one pre-made
- Uses only virtual COM ports
- Requires external DC power
- With a radio cable, cost is twice that of a SignaLink USB
- Proprietary configuration software can be a resource hog on older/slower PCs
- No Linux drivers or configuration software available from the microHAM
- Not made in the USA (for those of you who care)
VU2CDP Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2014 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used them for our VU4KV operation and they worked flawlessly. Highly recommended.

Deepak VU2CDP
N4XYZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my interface packaged well. It has a DVD with the install software plus the manual. Instructions were clear and easy to follow. I have used the interface with just two programs but I am primarily an FLDIGI user. The interface works great and takes advantage of FLDIGI right channel CW keying and FSK. Plan to use it at home and on the road when I am RV portable.
SY1AKE Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent interface that works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The usb interface 3 it is grate addition to my station and I thing to any station. With a reasonable price you can get it and you have a reliable device for any digital mode.
Dependent to software you can see differences to the performance at CW mode.
Will be wonderful if the microham company make a good and reliable software to cover all the modes and the customer will not need to make experiments with many different of them also will help that for the setup to any transceiver.
You don't need to remove, plug and unplug any cable depended on the using mode, like other companies interfaces. The drivers, the company interface software, everything works outstanding.
K5FNQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 05:28 Send this review to a friend
What a great little box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Microham USB III after giving up on the Rigblaster Pro for use with my FT5000, HRD 6.x and DM 780. I just could not get the COM port requirements figured out with a USB only computer (even using two USB to Serial converters). I researched other similar units (Timewave PK 232, etc) but this was the only one for which I received a guaranty from the supplier that it would work as intended. In ordering, one selects the Transceiver being used to get the proper cabling. The cabling was perfect with the FT5000 ( all leads were labeled and all were there). I am now able to use my rig with HRD and DM780 for RTTY, PSK (and CW if you want to go that route). I highly recommend it.
NT9E Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this for about 11 months and it replaced my original microHAM microKEYER. The original microKEYER offered to do a lot off stuff I did not need so I downsized and bought the USB III. It does CAT, FSK RTTY, and all my soundcard modes. It even provided computer CW keying for contest logging programs. Highly recommended! 10 Thumbs Up!
ZS6EGB Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this interface for while. seen the equipement from another Ham. bought the USB interface III but the cable is for FT 1000MP. Is it possible to convert the cable to an Icom 746pro version. Want to know if someone have done this before and how to go about.
R/ds, Emil ZS6EGB
AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Doesnt get any easier than this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is awesome, best money Ive invested in the hobby in a while.

I have an FT-1000D which I just swapped over to from an FT-1000MPMKV. I was using all digital modes and of course CW and some voice. Contesting was fun and had a blast on the digital modes.

After the FT-1000D was put in place the fun stopped. I started getting a tremendous amount of noise in my audio transmissions.

After investigating found the noise was only there when I had my digital interface and rig controller hooked up.

Looked into grounding and RF issues and nothing. Got frustrated and just quite operations for a while except for an occational DX contact or so.

Then I was put on the micrHAM Micro Keyer USBIII interface by a friend of mine who had the same rig hooked up to his station.

Within 1 hour of readying the manual and just a quick plug and play. I had N1MM, DXLABS, logger32 and HRD configured and playing.

I am so happy with the isolation techniques and the ease of setup with this design.