Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | microHAM USB Interface III Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM USB Interface III
microHAM USB Interface III Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: The USB interface III includes full optical isolation of all control signals (radio control, CW, PTT and Squelch) and built-in USB soundcard with front panel level controls for transmit via your transceiver's Accessory audio input and the constant level (pre-volume control) audio output.
More info: http://microham.com/index1.html

You can write your own review of the microHAM USB Interface III.

KC0YNP Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 19:56 Send this review to a friend
It's a great one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first interface, and to be honest I let it set on my desk for over a year, frustrated that I couldn't initially get my radio to transmit. I finally broke down and read the user manual for it, HamRadioDeluxe, and Digital Master 780. After a few hours of careful reading, I was transmitting and receiving just fine or so I thought until I noticed the CW light on as well as the PTT light. Plus, I thought I had some splatter at the beginning of my transmissions.

However,since I had already sunk low enough to read user manuals, I sunk all the way and gave the microHAM folks an email. This was about 9:30 at night. I got my first response at 2:30 AM, no fooling, and had to wait until I got home from work to try the fix.

Joe, W4TB, made a suggestion or two and had to follow up with another suggestion. Turns out, I just had one or two more settings to make or change before my signal was super clean. The "splatter" was the RSI being sent by DM 780. One checkbox too many. User error...again. The CW light was because of a balance setting. Too many dang manuals. The microHAM user guide was the easiest to follow.

I recommend the product and the SUPER customer support.

K1AVE Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2012 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Top notch - Well worth the money.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two - The first one went on the FT-990 and the other shares the FT-450D and FT-817. Easy to set up on Win XP - just follow the instructions. If you have a problem or question, the tech support is quick and helpful. Not cheap, but the quality is apparent both in the interface and the cables.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2012 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to setup works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased my MicroHam USB III from a ham in Texas who no longer required it. I took it out of the box read the instructions and followed them exactly. Within about two hours had the thing running. I needed to get my configuration adjusted for my K3 but now it is running perfectly. I made my first digital QSO ever last night.

I spent many hours of frustration with the Rigblatter Advantage and could never get it to work properly. It had too many issues to mention. The beauty of this setup was the custom cables that came for the K3 and the very straightforward instructions.

I am extremely pleased so far. Now the next complex step will be to get my LP Panadapter integrated with this system with LP Bridge for NAP3. One step at a time. It is nice to have something work as advertised.

PD2R Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Haven been using the USB III interface for some years now and it still works flawlesly with my K3.
The cable to connect it to the K3 is well build with good connectors.
I have also used other Microham products and never had a problem. Good stuff.

ON5GM Rating: 1/5 Aug 8, 2012 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Piece of sh...t  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Buy it just 1 year ago and now it does not work anymore !!

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Tiny Powerhouse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these for my fixed station for use with an IC-706 MkIIG mainly on digital modes. Great little device with it's terrific sound card. And to make a good box better, the rig control is built in. This replaced my Icom CT-17 box and it's cables/power supply and the SignaLink USB and it's USB cable and rig cable with a single USB and single rig cable. Essentially eliminating three cables from station clutter (Serial to the CT-17, from the CT-17 to the rig, and power to the CT-17).

Well worth the money. Typical microHam build quality and support. Ease of use on par with other state of the art interfaces. This offers more than a just a sound card interface. But again, that's typical microHam. I now have a 2nd one for my go kit. That's how much I like them.

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 10:23 Send this review to a friend
A really nice unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like others here, I was really surprised to see how small it was. Don't let that fool you, good things come in small packages. I did get the cord for my Yaesu FT-950 with the unit, so physical interconnection was a snap. Pop the top to put the CAT jumpers where they need to be for your rig (this process is WELL documented). Then it's driver time. Software installation is a bit more involved, but if you have basic computer skills, you can get this going no problem. Again, excellent documentation on the process. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

Operation is fantastic. Interfaces flawlessly with FLDigi, N1MM, MMTTY, and others. What drew me to the USB III version was the front panel volume controls. I really dislike mucking about with the digital slider screens, and this was something I really wanted. However, this has been one of my only hiccups. Three months into using it, the TX pot started getting "scratchy". Easy enough, popped the top (2 screws), a squirt of contact cleaner and voila.

The built-in soundcard is also fantastic; exponentially better than my laptop's onboard unit. Couple this with the Yaesu's superb DSP filtering and this is one killer digital combo. I enjoy ragchewing and contesting, so the microHAM has seen action in both. After a while I wanted to hook it up to my Alinco DX-70 as well. The cable wasn't that hard to make. You just need a DB-15 cable and whatever Mic plug is on your radio. No CAT on the Alinco so didn't have to worry about that. Now when I operate portable I can quickly disconnect the microHAM USB III from the home station and throw it in my HF case. Swap-n-go.

Overall, it is worth the money. No more globs of cables with their associated problems. Quick tech support. One simple cable from PC to interface.

It is SIMPLY AWESOME!

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2011 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice quality, one cable does it all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using home made cw keyers (lpt and com ports) and used sound cards in computers to work cw and digital modes in the past. But I was getting tired in having a bunch of cables running between the radio and computer. Lucky enough I never had to deal with rf on cables.

I read a lot of reviews and impressions and the microHAM USBIII interface had it all. Low noise usb card, cat control, cw and ptt trough virtual com ports. In other words, I have to connect just a simple usb cable from my computer to this interface and I'm done. That's what I'm talking about.

I ordered directly from the microHAM website and checked the box for my radio, a Yaesu FT-897D. The cable to hook up the radio was included in the package. Very well made, high quality connectors and all labeled to exclude errors.

After installing the router software that have to run in the background and assigning two serial ports, I was ready to interface the radio to logger32, my default logging program.

Cat control was instant, but the cw keyer has problems. I posted a message on the yahoo group and Joe helped me out. It seems that sharing a ptt and cw port is not possible with my radio. This is probably a radio problem and not related to the microHAM keyer. I regret this since I still have to set the semi brake cw keying on the radio.

I expected the box to be bigger, larger, but I was surprised when I opened the package. The USBIII controller fits almost in the palm of your hands. All functions can be monitored by leds and two pot meters let you adjust the levels for rx and tx audio. No more messing with software sliders. This is a set and forget solution.

Thanks to the small dimensions the microHAM USBIII can go along on trip or field day. And with only once usb cable the setup to computer, laptop and radio is easy and clean. Great.

I've done some first on air testing and the interface has a very low noise sound card that allow me to pick up small signals aided by a 300hz filter. After the help from Joe I can use the logger32 cw keyer to. Characters are sent as clean dots and dashes as are the spaces. No time lag from the usb connection and virtual ports meaning the router software is well up to date.

I've tested both on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and on an iMac running OSX 10.7 Lion. Both systems work. I'm very happy with this interface. Price is a little steep but you get first quality materials in return.

Recommended.

N2DAN Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2011 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Wow!!! Changed the way I use ham radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd been thinking of connecting my radio to the computer for a while now - I use MacloggerDX and it's awesome, but there was always that upper left side of the screen that said "connect to radio". I was mostly interested in having the radio update the freq/mode in my log as i'd sometimes neglect to do this. Well, all I can say is WOW and more. I got all of that, but then I started playing with the spotting capability of MLDX and it blew me away. Simply double click on the spot report and you are instantly tuned to that freq/mode.

I'll eventually experiment with the digital modes, but this one purchase has substantially changed what I do with ham radio. The product is super easy to configure and setup. The build quality is superb, and the cables that come with it are very high quality. I had a question before I bought and received a almost instant response from Joe.

W7VP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After struggling to set FT-857D I finally gave up and bought the microHam USB Interface III. Setup went very well, particularly with the Device Router softare that came with the unit. (This was similar to the Device Router software that came with the MR2R+ which helped). Setting up N1MM was a bit more of a problem since the com port configuration was inconsistent between CW and RTTY. I was able to do a work around using a second preset with the Device Router but was given a better way by Joe, W4TV wihich did not require a second preset.

Setting up Logger 32 also went very smoothly using a preset for that logging softwre.

Testing is in process but so far I am quite pleased with this unit.

The setup is as follows:
The main unit of the FT-847 is located in the metal pickup tool box in the pickup bed of my 2011 F-150. A battery is located in the toolbox. The Battery is charged through an isolator frlom the trailer hitch. The hitch is energized only when the truck is running but the isolator prevents the toolbox battery from backfeeding the truck system. Thus the unit can be run off the truckbox battery even when the truck is not running.

The head unit is located in the cab with the mike cable, head unit cable and key line running to the truck box. The interface is located in the truckbox with the USB cable running theough the same conduit as the head unit cables. A "Y" connector is placed on the keyer input of the main unit and the Interface and the external keyer feeding into the "Y".

Given the limitations of the Lenovo this system is very nice and solved all of the problems of not having enough USB ports available.
Bill