Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Argosy & Argosy 2 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Argosy & Argosy 2
Ten-Tec Argosy & Argosy 2 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Currrent market estimated $ 300
Description: 80-10 meter ssb and cw rig that features built in a swr bridge, low power drain on receive and 5 /50 watt output. Ideal QRP rig. Introduced about 1981 and discontinued about 1987. The Argosy 1 had an analog tuning dial and the Argosy 2 featured digital display and tuning. Many optional filters available.
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Argosy & Argosy 2.

WI6T Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Three decades of ham radio enjoyment  Time owned: more than 12 months
BE AWARE: First off, if you find an Argosy for sale, be sure to get the external power supply sold just for this radio. If not, be sure to use the external circuit breaker designed for the Argosy. The radio can be damaged if you hook up just any power supply. Do your homework prior to purchase. That said:

Bought my analog Argosy new in 1982. The radio is "full dress"; replaced the original 4 pole filter with the 8 pole; added the noise blanker (one of the best of many radios owned over the years), calibrator, two CW filters, 1800 Hz SSB filter, and the mobile mounting bracket. Also put in the amplifier board; the rig will drive my SB-1000 to 500 watts. I installed a switch to allow the amp board to be in or out; when out, full QSK and when in the delay is adjustable. Enjoy the "LO - HI" power switch at the rear; five watts max low power, fifty watts max high. The radio was serviced once by Ten-Tec for an overall check-up. It is nice that TT still services their legacy gear.
For simply pure straightforward ham radio fun the TT Argosy cannot be beat.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2012 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Old reliable...  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 31 years of ownership I finally had to "tear it down" for repairs. My RF output had dropped alarmingly--the cause was the drivers. Cost for a couple of these is about $13. Needed to service the PTO and restring the dial--cost about $36. This is a rig that ANY ham can work on and I am the proverbial caveman. Now that the radio is working I am enjoying the mellow sound of the receiver and the absolute simplicity. (Just in time too, the multi-knob on my 2 year old Jupiter is acting up, a common problem, and "Old Reliable" just took first chair!) First couple of QSO's I had there were no computers running, wasn't fiddling with extraneous knobs, no panadaptors. Just the kind of CW contacts I had back in the day. This is a nice older rig, grab one if you can find one. Original review follows:

I'm the original owner of this radio now going on 30 years. For those of us who were running Argonauts back then (I had the 509) this was the next big thing. The 525 has a better receiver and a "built in" 50 watt amp, such as many used with the Argo's. I don't think any of us thought of this rig as an engineering marvel or somesuch, we got it to use as a working SSB/CW rig that had the "new" 30 meter band. Over the decades this radio has been a true and faithful companion. The optional audio filter is amazingly effective. The QSK is still about as good as you'd want. Mine still works like new and a few times a year she comes off the shelf for a drive around the bands. Would make a nice "back up" rig for the CW op that just needs a dial to turn and a key.

N7INO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 21:33 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Corsair on the way for repair, used over 12 years and picked up this Argosy in a trade. It has the GREAT Ten Tec receive, I get the same reports on air I get with the corsair, Doesn't get any better then that. I would recomend this to everyone can't go wrong. Its a shame rigs like this arn't made anymore.

K3PA Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2012 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Fun!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It drifts a little. Receive is good but not great.

But CW QSK is terrific, and 50W is nice. Simple to use. This thing is a LOT of fun.

KB1OF Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
2nd Ten Tec Argosy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd Argosy. I have one that I use in the shack all the time in preferance to my OMNI C. I had a chance to get this at a premium price of $60 at a hamfest. The relay would just sputter. I sent it into Ten Tec a year ago when I got it. It had an outboard relay that was drawing 3 amps alone. Ten Tec tech replaced the relay with a Ten Tec relay, replaced the VFO with a rebuilt one and aligned it and checked it all over. Total cost with shipping a bit over $200, bringing the cost of the little 50 w out rig to about $260. This one, I keep for mobile and portable use, an to take to camp in the summer. Used mostly with QRPp use, it draws 559 reports with all DX. and a G5RV antenna. With the upcoming bands, I prefer the Argosy for allround use. It has a strong signal and quiet front end. I use it with a little DSP audio filter to break through when signals are close.(See my other review on Argosy #1.)

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2011 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful PLUS!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine over the counter from a dealer back in 1981, maybe '82. I have no test equipment to give technical reviews as does QST. A few of the technical specs they analyze I can't define anyway.
But it is a tremendous little radio, a little 50 watt gem.
It has a super little receiver and just enough features. Handy little switch in the back cuts the power back to 10 watts making it one of the best QRP radios of the time. Many contacts with Europe and Asia greatly enhanced my interest in DXing.
The dial cord on mine has broken, and it looks like the band switch has oxidized somewhat. I brought it upstairs this morning, plugged it in, and worked a couple dozen OKs who were having a contest. The delightful, super crisp QSK enchanted and delighted me as it always has.

KA9HJZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 20:55 Send this review to a friend
nice little rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
bought the analogue 525 with the power supply, for a lot less than 300. the dial cord is broke but it has the CW and SSB filters, i use my optoelectronic frequency counter for accurate frequency readings and my drake MN-4C to tune with, the radio works like a champ, havnt used SSB yet but no problem with CW,the radio is simple to use, i dont have to keep the manual out everytime i use it, i hve my jupiter for bells and whistles. someday i might repair the dial string but thinking about getting an MFJ intellituner for frequency readout and tuning. the rig is fun to operate.

KE7WAV Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one used a few weeks ago. Mine is the analog. It is just a fine little radio. I have used everything from boat anchors, to modern 100W rigs, to kitted QRP's.
I think this radio is a great rig. The controls are very intuitive and the radio has a quality design. The receiver and transmitter have gotten good on air reports for me.
Mine came with no optional filters but it is still a great little CW rig and has gotten me good SSB reports too.
Ten Tec makes a great little radio.

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 05:42 Send this review to a friend
great little rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't add much to the fray here other than to say I've had two or three of these little guys. Seems every time I sell one, about a year or so later I find myself online trying to hunt another down. Mine have all been EX-White Caner rigs, thus they come with a frequency annunciator box. Press a button and the numbers after the decimal point are "spoken"...quite unique for this rig. I understand the CNIB commisioned this mod before the next gen of rigs for the visually impaired came out. (TS-450 I think)... love it ! Wish it had 160m and WARC bands.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Simplicity in a radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My earlier review of this radio has become lost somewhere in the electronic universe so I will leave this information for posterity.