Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Array Solutions RATPak Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions RATPak
Array Solutions RATPak Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: 6 way remote antenna switch QRO++ rated DC to 6 meters
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions RATPak.

K9ZW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Performer, Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a RatPAK 6n in QRO use for several years, with exceptional results.

Shack conditions require my operating desk be a good ways (165 ft of cable) from my tower.

I bought the N-Connector version of the RatPAK and have used a flooded marine version of CAT-5 cable to control it.

Twice I've asked question of Jay WX0B about the RatPAK - first when installing it (checking the performance characteristics and cable requirements) and second after I let the unit become wet for a prolonged time in drifting snow.

The Snow Incident was 100% my fault - I had used zip-ties to temporarily attached the remote unit and let mother nature beat me to a correct installation.

The unit was 100% after I cleaned up the contacts after being in snow/ice.

I was able to handle this myself, despite Array Solutions offering to service it under their Life Time Warranty.

I've had a couple other switches, including ones that inject the control signal into the feedline, and the Array Solutions RatPAK has done a stellar job for me at my shack.

I've written up some of the technical issues using CAT-5 to control a RatPak at http://tinyurl.com/cat5-ratpak

You can find other articles about my RatPak experience on my blog.

If mine were written off by a lightening strike or were stolen, I would not hesitate to buy another RatPak for my QRO station!

Steve
K9ZW

W5IZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great product/service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned RatPaks since installing my antennas and have found Array Solutions to stand behind their products. Jay Terleski and his team are very responsive to user questions and have promptly assisted me whenever I contacted them. Jay stressed using the correct voltage to pull in the relays in my 500 foot plus run. After lightning struck my tower, Jay and his folks repaired my RATPak promptly. Array Solutions is my first choice in antenna switches.

W6OU Rating: 2/5 Sep 22, 2008 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Troublesome relay  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I encountered intermittent receiving on one of the antennas connected to this switch. If I rapped on the cabinet the problem would go away until the next time I switched to this antenna. I found the relay contact for that antenna was not making good contact. After burnishing the contacts it worked ok. This makes me wary of running high power through this switch.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2008 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Shoulda bought this one first!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Decided to go with Ameritron RCS-8V 5 ant switch last year (see my review elsewhere on eham.net) and save a few $$. BIG MISTAKE! Worked great, at first. Now the connections are shot after just a year of use. Wish I had gotten the RATPak the first time.

Just putting my hands on the RATPak when it arrived, I knew it's a more solid unit. Looking at the insides, it is quality through and through. Installation was a snap.

Well, lesson learned - you get what you pay for. No more Ameritron products for me. Now I need to see what other goodies Jay has at Array Solutions, makers of the RATPak!

One more thing, the customer service at Array Solutions is OUTSTANDING!

K9WZB Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 08:39 Send this review to a friend
A must for the multi-antenna and radio station  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great antenna switch that makes life easier in the shack. When two radios are connected, the switch prevents you from transmitting on the second radio on the same antenna.
Customer service is also great. Ask a question in an email or call and your answer is back with in minutes. Although pricey when you gather all the cables etc. to set it up it is a real pleasure to have available in the shack.
The workmanship and quality of the antenna switch and controller is great. The only flaw I see is the wimpy U-bolt sent to mount it. This was abandon and an entirely different mount was made.

TF4M Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2007 05:24 Send this review to a friend
In use since February 2005- no issues whatsoever.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two RATPak switches in my station located around 250 feet from the shack. There have been no issues whatsoever in the harsh conditions. My units are fitted with N connectors. I am very pleased with the performance and reliability.
Thor, TF4M
www.tf4m.com

ZL3RG Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product - Great Company!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RATPak as I wanted to change my 5 band Quad from single feed to each band being individually fed.

This remote antenna switching device is very high quality and was an absolute 'breeze' to install. I used CAT6 cable to run from the control unit to the switch box which is mounted on the the boom of the Quad. The total run length is approximated 25 meters. All switching is working perfectly.

I dealt with Bob at Array Solutions and found him a great guy to deal with - very helpful, obliging and friendly.

If you are looking for a well constructed and reliable antenna switching unit - you can't go past the RATPak. I have absolutely no hestitation in recommending both this unit and the Company - they are both first class.

Rob ZL3RG

KB3IFH Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2007 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Seems to be built very well and has certainly cut down on my cluster of cables coming into the shack down to one. Easy to wire, just be sure to use 8 pin cinch plugs on end so your able to have a quick disconnect on each end if needed.

VY1JA Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2007 16:55 Send this review to a friend
RAT PAK is Yukon Gold  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RAT PAK 6 antenna remote relay system which Jay from Array Solutions set up for Yukon winters in 2000 has worked faultlessly. The thin insulation was all that was needed to make the tower top relay box function at 110 feet up in temperatures colder than -50 F and winter winds on the worst winter days.

Seven years have passed and there has yet to be a failure any part of the WX0B Array Solutions system. The box did NOT require any heat other than the intermittent heat which comes from the relay coil in normal operation, even with the tower covered with hoar frost.

WX0B made the extra effort which prevented cold weather from bothering the relays. I have found that I can count on Jay's team to provide the solution I needed, and am confident that you will as well.

J. Allen
VY1JA

W1LSU Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2007 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Products and GREAT Service after the Sale!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a FIRST RATE antenna switch, the RatPak is your switch! I decided to upgrade my "Mighty Fine Junk" antenna switch. After looking at many very good switches, I decided to buy the Array Solutions switch. I made a pretty foolish error in hooking up the set and emailed Jay. Jay found my error in no time flat and helped me get the switch up and running as advertised! He also gave me a few pointers in the proper installation of the swtich. The remote antenna switch and the control switch box are American Made, serviced by experts like Jay, and an absolutely TOP NOTCH product (real metal cases)!! A home run like this rates a "high 5" in my book. I can now switch antennas right here at my control station. A thousand thanks, Jay, I look forward to purchasing many more products from you and Array Solutions in the near future! 73 W1LSU