Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Heathkit HM-2140 PEP Watt/SWR meter Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HM-2140 PEP Watt/SWR meter
Heathkit HM-2140 PEP Watt/SWR meter Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$139.95 - 30 years ago
Description: This is a dual-meter, externally powered, SWR/Wattmeter which is switchable for either Average or PEP. Covers 1.8 through 30 Mhz.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HM-2140 PEP Watt/SWR meter.

N0TQQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Very accurate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three Heathkit HM-2140 PEP SWR/WATT meters. They all are very close in accuracy and also with my Palstar WM150. I prefer the cross needle meter,but I use these with my Vintage Heathkit Stations. Two are the Beautiful Green and one is the later brown version,the 2140A. When you are done using the meter, be sure not to leave the Pep activated, because the 9V battery will run down.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Ugly Heathkit green but it does work well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a year as I bought it off E-bay. It was in pretty good condition with a 9 volt wall mount power supply included.

I like the Heathkit products as they are a learning experience even if it is already built. The one I bought had some issues that were easily fixed. After 30 years, the battery ground came loose from the board so I had to do some repair work. It also needed some calibration but that is easy also. Make sure you get the manual if you buy one of these. Makes calibrating and fixing it easy.
The Heathkit green is a fairly ugly color and so I did a black paint job on the outside cover. It looks great with the green meter face plate.

The circuitry is rather simple and the meters are big enough to see well. I wish they were lighted but that can be easily done.

The accuracy is fairly good as I tested it against a Bird unit.

You really cannot go wrong with this meter. It has SWR, Reflected Power on the first meter to the left and 200 watt / 2000 watt with a battery test on the power meter to the right. It also has PEP and average power capabilities.

I wish I could find a product that I would rate less than a 5, but reading Eham.net reviews, it is easy to find products that are truly a 5. So far I am batting 1000 with the help if Eham.net.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 10:34 Send this review to a friend
25 years and counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought and built a HM-2140 and the companion HM-2141 sometime in 1985. They are still in daily use today. What more can I say. Easily bought at Hamfests for around $50-75.

W7EKB Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2009 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This meter works very well, and is within 5% accuracy over the entire HF band...when properly calibrated.

The calibration module is not meant to be "dinked" with and is factory sealed.

This module can be mounted up to 4 feet away from the meter unit.

The meter can be powered from an internal battery (which doesn't last very long when in PEP mode) or an external AC supply.

When I first got mine from eBay, someone had "dinked" with the factory sealed module and it read at least 33% high.

However, it was easily fixed, and holds a prominent place on my operating bench.

By keeping a close eye on it, I can easily tell when my amplifier tubes (SB-200) are going flat.

A good unit.